cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Minder Confuses Electric Steps

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When I attach a Battery Minder trickle charger to my class A engine battery the MH door steps randomly extend then retract, maybe once every 3 hours or so. I was standing there once and it startled me. So I put a piece of tape on them and came back later and tape was broken. Any one else experienced this?

Everyone have a safe holiday, thanks....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
4 REPLIES 4

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Battery Tender brand connected to my chassis battery for a year now with no problems as you describe. It is plugged into the old television outlet in the front dash and is hardwired to the battery, so when the rig is plugged into shore power or the genset is running, it is trickle-charging or conditioning the battery. But, that 120VAC outlet has an auto shut off when the engine is cranked/running, (originally designed to keep the television from working when underway) so the Battery Tender is not competing with the alternator if I'm running the genset going down the road.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
TCZ- Yes, I have had this issue. I had installed the Battery Minder model 12151 on-board unit. The step would cycle in and out on a regular basis. Maybe a couple times an hour. I switched out the 12151 Battery minder for the model 2012 2-amp charger/conditioner and the steps quit cycling. There is something with some Battery Minders that triggers the automatic step circuitry. It must be part of the conditioning circuitry that causes this. Never had the problem again with the model 2012. I think the Battery Minder line of products are top of the line with this kind of device. -- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you reapply the tape after removing the charger?

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
TC&Z wrote:
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When I attach a Battery Minder trickle charger to my class A engine battery the MH door steps randomly extend then retract, maybe once every 3 hours or so. I was standing there once and it startled me. So I put a piece of tape on them and came back later and tape was broken. Any one else experienced this?

Everyone have a safe holiday, thanks....

so with a battery minder hooked up steps go in and out at random
but if you remove it there fine???