cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top RV manufacturers?

lindalp
Explorer
Explorer
I would appreciate your personal opinions, of the top quality makers of class c rv’s.
Sounds like Winnebago is the best, and Thor the worse.

We are looking for a good quality used class c. Which makers should I look at after Winnebago?
24 REPLIES 24

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOG wrote:
We do not consider our Chinook Glacier to be mediocre.

Same here regarding our 2005 Itasca Spirit's coach portion. The Ford chassis quality under the coach is what it is per general Ford truck quality year after year ... which for us has also been great.

However ... I agree with some other posters that perhaps there has been a gradual construction and design quality decline in coachs across many RV manufacturers over the last 8-10 years. We bought ours before that downward trend began, thankfully.

From what I'm reading in these forums .... it's definitley Buyer-Beware nowadays when picking out a newer used or new RV.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

LOG
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Unfortunately, unless you step up to something like a Prevost, asking what the best RV brands are is kind like asking where the best Denny's are.
There's only different grades of mediocre.

We do not consider our Chinook Glacier to be mediocre.
LOG
2005 Chinook Glacier

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
This question comes around every few months and reading all the responses I have to say that there is no clear winner. I have heard horror stories on all brands and I have heard people say how much they love all brands (okay maybe a couple never got any love).

I have a Majestic (think it is from Thor) and it is amazing, great build and nice features from any unit let alone from a rental. I have seen other brands that I would not spend my money on no matter how cheap. It really is buyer beware as a good brand can still have bad units. If you are looking take a look at a unit that fits your needs and if you like it then go over it with a fine tooth comb (don't let the salesperson rush you, IT IS YOUR MONEY) and have a mechanic and a RV tech do the same.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Unfortunately, unless you step up to something like a Prevost, asking what the best RV brands are is kind like asking where the best Denny's are.

much truth to that. at least at "normal" prices.
bumpy

The sad thing is that.... not too many years ago this was not the case. There “were” several RV manufacturers that built quality (not perfect) units that were affordable, at least to middle to upper middle class folks. Many people, who wanted to be full timers, sold their homes and purchased these rv’s. Several years down the road (pun intended), they either upgraded to newer or got out of the game and sold their units. These used “quality” units then became available to those of us who wanted quality, but couldn’t afford new or didn’t want to take the big depreciation hit!

But...approximately 10 years ago (politically caused economic downturn), and the buying public wanting “cheap”, helped “close the doors” of several established, quality RV manufacturers.

So, fast forward to present.... we are left with a mass of low quality rv’s and a few far out of “normal” people’s budget!

Some of this falls upon the shoulders of the RV buying community, we buy inexpensive (cheap) rv’s, then complain about the problems and failures. Maybe we, as rv’ers, should form a coalition to persuade the government ( I can’t believe I said that) to create an RV Consumer Protection Agency. Creating a list of regulations that must be met, protecting the buyer from indiscriminate work practices. Requiring that certain standards be met. Think, were we would be if there were “no” government controls on automobiles, boats, electrical codes, etc.?

It would also be great if, say that Japan or South Korea, were to enter the RV market....it would “force” our American companies to step-up there game ( or go out of business). Our automotive industry is a prime example of what competition can do to product quality!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

much truth to that. at least at "normal" prices.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

when you pay that much have it installed as a build option.

that is exactly my point, a $100,000 RV and you have to select it as an option. I was a little surprised to see that.
bumpy

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennis12 wrote:
Stop looking. THERE IS NO TOP QUALITY CAMPERS MADE. BAR NONE

I'm not sure what that opinion is based on, but it probably doesn't hold water in light of the usual caveat -> enough money can get one pretty close to "top quality".

Here's a couple that are top quality, neither of which can I, or many other mere mortals afford - used or new:

http://www.coachhouserv.com/line-platinum.php

https://earthroamer.com/xv-lt/
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31D in Oct of last year. Very happy with it...there was a Ford cab leak that Winnebago fixed. HWH replaced a faulty shuttle valve on the jacks. We have used it alot this first year and had no other problems.

We formerly owned a ‘99 Lazy Daze which was an enjoyable unit to camp in but at nearly 13 years old when we bought it, we had many major maintenance issues that were very expensive and troublesome to deal with.

After shopping extensively for a new class C at the Hershey RV show in Sept 2016, I concluded that Lazy Daze was overpriced (new) and stuck in the 50’s in terms of design. Very thankful we broke away from them and bought a brand new Minnie for 25,000 less than an underequiped Lazy Daze.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
These are some of the best class Cs ever made. Might be hard to find a good used one, though, as people tend to hang on to them until...

Lazy Daze RVs

Rob

given the cost and quality of these, I was a little surprised to see that a back up / rear camera was an option.
bumpy

With today's wire less cameras they are an easy add-on.

if I am spending $100,000 and up for a motorhome, I don't want a tack on piece of equipment.
bumpy

when you pay that much have it installed as a build option.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
I got a 2004 Four Winds from Thor with 39K miles. Little issues here and there, but no real complaints. Shocks on rubber bushings are dry rotted and sway bar need to be upgraded, but that's just age and preference.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine, who was an RV salesman, told me that Thor quality seemed to go in cycles. From what I have read online, they seem to have hit the bottom. I bought a new 2005 Thor and other than a few minor things, it has been a great Class C RV. My friend said my 2005 was built just after the peak. No, I didn't buy it from him.

Maybe Thor will be pretty good in about 10 years???

I don't really know much about the current RVs. From what I have read, this seems to be a terrible time to buy a new RV. None of them seem to get good reviews.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
These are some of the best class Cs ever made. Might be hard to find a good used one, though, as people tend to hang on to them until...

Lazy Daze RVs

Rob

given the cost and quality of these, I was a little surprised to see that a back up / rear camera was an option.
bumpy

With today's wire less cameras they are an easy add-on.

if I am spending $100,000 and up for a motorhome, I don't want a tack on piece of equipment.
bumpy

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Stop looking. THERE IS NO TOP QUALITY CAMPERS MADE. BAR NONE
Dennis Hoppert