cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slideouts issue

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Georgia boy landau slideouts is slow going out. Clicks several times and you have to let off and press again several times. Any ideas?
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.
10 REPLIES 10

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
system needs cleaned and lubbed. The clicking is probably the shearpins have waddled the holes and are popping as he hits the switch

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG,

He mentioned that he hears โ€œclicksโ€. That wonโ€™t happen if the auto-resetting breaker is the issue. If that were the issue, the slide would be completely dead until the breaker resets.
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Very common; auto resetting breaker is getting weak. Simply find the part on your RV and get another one from an auto parts store. They're cheap.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
rickwellman,

If you have the same controller (or similar) I have in my GBM, you CANNOT adjust the sensitivity without knowing A LOT about electronics. It's built into the slide-out controller module.

That said, IF that's what is happening, then you have other issues.

Our main slide goes out easier than it comes in. To come in, it must first lift itself UP and THEN come in. So running the engine gives it some extra oomph. If you're having problems with it going out, then I think you're having a low voltage problem or a mechanical alignment/friction issue.

A poor ground/power connection adds electrical resistance to the current path feeding the motor. This means less voltage to the motor, making it work "harder" (it actually draws more current due to reduced back emf) to try to turn, thus possibly tripping the over-current circuit. By the way, this is also why this can happen if your batteries are not fully functional. So as was mentioned earlier, check the condition of your batteries.

I will re-ask my questions. How many slides do you have? If it's more than one, are both slides exhibiting this behavior or just one? The main slide on our rig definitely has to work harder than the smaller bedroom slide.

Do you only have the problem when extending the slide, or does it act up upon retraction too? If the latter, does running the engine help?

If you do have more than one slide and only one is acting up, you might be able to either swap slide-out controllers (if single-slide controllers are used...probably not) or jumper/swap wires from front to rear slide at the slideout controller to get it to work temporarily.

Oh, I just remembered, my slide out controller module looked like it was soldered by a 5 year old. I had a cold solder joint issue about 4 years into ownership, plus one of the controller relays developed a problem. (Probably a result of the poor ground issue I had corrected previously, which caused higher current than the 15A relay contacts were rated for.) I replaced the relay and resoldered the entire board. No controller board issues since then. So that might be something else to look into if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Another thing I've noticed. When extending/retracting my slides, I always have a window cracked open to provide for air to enter/escape as the interior volume of the motorhome changes. It's a minor thing, but it does seem to help on my rig. I guess it's related to how many "air leaks" you have in your motorhome. For ours, it helps. Also, I make sure to lubricate the slide seals every year and wax the sides of the slide and that helps the slide come in and out. I've never lubricated the slide gear mechanism. But lubricating the seals and waxing the sides seems to help on the main slide especially.

Hmmmm...I'm beginning the feel like I could write a book on mid-2000's GBM slide mechanisms! LOL

Good Luck,

~Rick
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Can you set the controller to not be so sensitive?
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many slide outs use current sensors instead of limit switches.. What this means is when the slide gets to the end of travel the motor stalls. Current increases and the controller says "OFF".

IF 1: Something causes the slide to "Stall" (Example if it hits a tree)
or 2: If the slide is "Sticking" (Lubricate, Lubricate, Greast the slide rails (see note))
or of the controller is set a bit "Senistive" current wise.

You get that "Try Try again" syndrome.

THe note: Be careful when lubricarting. YOu don't want to ruin carpet or other stuff with grease/oil stains.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the info

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
rickwellman,

Where is the "click" you hear coming from? The slide out controller (relay clicking, gentle click) or the slide motor/gear box (gears slipping, solid clunk)? How many slides do you have on the rig?

If it's the slideout controller, inspect power & ground wires going to the controller. Especially the ground. Two years into ownership of our GBM (we bought it new) I discovered the ground for the slideout controller was never adequately fastened. Also, the power wires leading to the slide motor(s) should be inspected. Disconnect and reconnect them firmly.

If it's the same slideout motor as mine, the front facing mounting bolts on the motor (three of them) may loosen, or a boss they screw into breaks. Then the motor is allowed to twist a bit while engaging and moves out of alignment with the gear train. Yup, had that problem too.

For what it's worth, the slide controller on our Cruise Master WILL NOT allow the slide to go out while the engine is running. However, it will allow you to bring the slide in with the engine running, which is usually what I do to give the slide motor a few extra volts to play with.

Good Luck,

~Rick

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Low battery or bad connection at battery or ground strap. Also go to your slide controller and check the plugs at that box.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be low battery. Try starting your engine and then bring in slide before you leave.