cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Travel Trailer - 2001 Four Winds 27'

gordinho80
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All! My name is Mario. I'm in Central NJ and my wife and I are picking up our first camper/trailer this weekend. Its a 2001 Four Winds 27' unit with a slide out. I don't have specific model information, but I do have a VIN. I was looking to get some feedback on these units. As I said, its going to be our first trailer and this entire process is very new to me.

We are in NJ, so it will need to be winterized. While we are not planning on using it this winter, I do plan on cleaning it up and going through a bunch of things and possibly replacing the carpet with some tile planks or wood like laminate.

The unit doesn't have a smell inside, so I can't imagine any water damage. I do plan on going around all the walls and checking for soft spots and such.

I am looking to pick it up tomorrow AM and will be going over the entire unit with the seller. He said he would go through turning everything on and running through everything he can think of with me, so I'm bringing a pad and pen to take as many notes as possible and make checklists.

Any suggestions on what to do and what to look for/through?

Thanks so much! Wife and I look forward to our first trip with this thing and hopefully making lots of memories with our 2 year old daughter in years to come!

Mario
Mario
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Big Horn 5.7L Hemi (My first Dodge)
2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB (Our first camper) - https://www.instagram.com/martin_the_camper/
19 REPLIES 19

gordinho80
Explorer
Explorer
We bit the bullet on a 2000 Coachmen Futura... more details here... https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29485866

Thanks again!
Mario
2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB (Our first camper) - https://www.instagram.com/martin_the_camper/

gordinho80
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all he pointers! The Four Winds is a definite pass. I’m looking at the Futura tomorrow AM. I don’t mind going used through private seller. I’ve bought and sold multiple cars this way and have had generally good luck as long as i inspect properly prior to handing over cash. A much newer unit is out of the question as it’s just not in the budget. I don’t mind having to put some work into things, so I’m ok with a slightly older unit that appears to have been well cared for.

The Futura looks much better in the pics than the Four Winds did... so I’m hopeful.
Mario

Trailering_Texa
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that most RV roofs are really only good for about 12 years. It is a shame, but it's just the truth. We had an older unit we LOVED, but when the roof goes all you have is a mess. You can replace a roof, but it is expensive. Good luck to you.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
gordinho80 wrote:
I'm still searching and came across a 2004 Coachmen Futura 28ft which appears to be in MUCH better shape... double the price at $4k... but less to update and its not siding exterior.

UPDATE to my last post... Glad you passed on the 2001.It is a very old TT by today's standards. Most water damage inside is far more extensive than you can imagine. Just not worth the time, expense and effort to get into that type of repair. There are SO many You Tube videos you can watch of people getting what they thought was a super deal only to find out they have to gut the thing and start over. Not to mention that 16 year old appliances may work today but are ready to go! Regrigerator, A/C, Furnace, TV, microwave-- None of those can be expected to go that long! And they would collectively cost you over 8K to replace all of them
Try to find a used one that is 2010 or newer so the heat, AC and appliances are not ready to die! AND definitely hire a surveyer to certify it for you BEFORE you buy! You will recoup the $300-400 it will cost you by what they will find-- and you will get that money back in bargaining the price if there are any minor issues...but water damage is a walk away every time! Just not worth it!
Good luck in your search! Start with dealers so you can get a 30 to 90 day warranty on a used one... and still insist on your RV tech doing a survey! If a dealer does not want you to have a surveyer that YOU choose look at their TT, then get in your car and leave.. PERIOD! You will have ZERO warranty from a private sale so try to find a gently used one at a dealer not more than 8 years old. There are NO dealers in Central jersey. Most are in S. jersey or Eastern Pa. I got mine from Hitch RV in S. jersey in Turnersville. Big dealer, good place. There is also a Keystone dealer out in Bucks County Pa in Quakertown ( Indian River RV I think) about an hour away.. They did some warranty work on mine-- also big dealer-- very reputable and nice people!
Good Luck! Update us with your search!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
gordinho80 wrote:
He has not yet winterized it. He mentioned that he would be going through the process with me. I'll check age of tires, I suspect they'd be due for replacement in the near future, though. Not terribly worried about that. Getting her home is only a 20 mile drive.

We also live in Central NJ. Not winterized yet is a concern since we have already had some nights in last few weeks in the mid 20's . If not used for 9 months, is it still winterized from last season? If so, have the seller prove it to you by opening faucets and or low point drains to see if pink RV antifreeze comes out. If it was not winterized last season, have seller do it in front of you so you learn how and know it is done. It only takes 15 minutes and 2 gallons of 3 buck RV pink antifreeze from Walmart.
A 2001 is a pretty old TT! I would HIGHLY recommend you call a RV mobile tech and have him do a survey on it BEFORE you hand over the money! It might cost you $300 or so but money well spent if he finds issues that can cost you far more than the $3000 you are paying for it! They can also be bargaining points on the price. The problems this TT could have at 16 years old could be not visible to an untrained consumer!
DO NOT TAKE A CHANCE! Good luck!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Check for bubbles under the exterior skin (delamination). The Futura looks like it is well shielded on the front but a even leaky marker light can mean leaking and damage.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

gordinho80
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still searching and came across a 2004 Coachmen Futura 28ft which appears to be in MUCH better shape... double the price at $4k... but less to update and its not siding exterior.
Mario

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Until it is opened up, it is only a guess as to the amount of damage. Sometimes it is limited to a small area and sometimes it can be unbelievable. To find another in that price range, and have no issues, would be tough. The only way that the damaged trailer should be considered is after the wall is opened, but that probably won’t happen.

gordinho80
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I spent an hour looking it all over a little more closely today. Everything is working and seems to be working well, however, there is a bit of water damage under the front window. I'd be looking at gutting the cabinetry along the front of the camper in order to replace all the lumber/insulation there. I could see the siding from the inside once I opened one of the cabinets and pulled some of the wall lining down.

Its a shame... but I passed. Seller did come down to $2k which I think is not terrible. But I wasn't looking to get into that kind of repair.

What are your thoughts? Heat/AC worked fine, hot water worked fine, all electrics seemed fine... just the section of rotted wood that would need to be dealt with.
Mario

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You'll want a charged battery on the trailer, even for a 20 mi trip. The battery operates the brakes in an emergency.

I'd suggest to access a blower so that you can perform an interior pressurized leak test. That is the definitive way to expose any leaks from the exterior. I use a small forced air squirrel cage to pressurize the interior. Spray the exterior with diluted soap and observe for bubbles caused by a hole or gap to the exterior.

Good luck with your new rig!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
" Not terribly worried about that."

Those are famous last words for a TT owner. Old tires are the most likely thing to go wrong when pulling. Tires blow in the first twenty, last twenty and middle twenty.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gordinho80
Explorer
Explorer
He has not yet winterized it. He mentioned that he would be going through the process with me. I'll check age of tires, I suspect they'd be due for replacement in the near future, though. Not terribly worried about that. Getting her home is only a 20 mile drive.
Mario

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Have him explain and show you how to winterize the camper. If he uses the blow method, and it's not done, have it do it so you can see how it's done. If he does the antifreeze "pump the pink" method, have him do it, watch and if possible, take a video. You might contact him today and ask how he does it, if it's winterized already, and if not, ask him to do it with you before you take it home.

Just a suggestion that will save you lots of questions later.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Note that trailer tires seldom wear out, instead they age out. If they're more than 6-7 years old, figure on replacing them, even if they still have plenty of tread.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP