cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best TPMS?

Vibrant93
Explorer
Explorer
I've done searches and cant really come up with a general consensus of who has the best TPMS on the market these days? This past summer I purchased an InnoTech (for RV's) tire pressure monitoring system for my '00 Suncruiser 35u mainly because I thought it was smart insurance to have. I had the system up and running with new batteries in all of the sensors and got the impression on our 1st outing that there might be a significant delay in showing differences in temp and pressure on the hand held head unit. It was definitely not real time like I had anticipated. This was confirmed by actually having an outer rear dualy blow out on the way home of this 1st trip. What are the odds, right?! Prior to the blowout everything looked normal on the monitor. No hi/low pressures, no flux in pressures, no temp differences, etc... I understand that a puncture or rupture style blowout might happen too quickly for the sensors to catch it but mine didn't start beeping at me until we had got the coach stopped, out to assess the damage, and back inside the unit. I was holding the hand held unit this entire time wondering why it was still reading good pressure and temp. The tire was off the bead when I got out of the coach so it's not like there was residual pressure that could be tricking the sensor. Anyway, sorry for the winded rant. What's everyone using and what actually works? I'm not impressed with the InnoTechRV unit I purchased.
-2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35u
-2013 3,500lb trailer toad (www.trailertoad.com)
-1995 F250 Powerstroke (110,000 miles)
-1993 Mustang Cobra (11,000 original miles)
-1991 Mustang LX (race car, 10.09 @133.7)
32 REPLIES 32

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
keymastr wrote:
I really like a company that is not afraid to answer questions on a forum and you will be getting my business. It just makes all of us better educated.

A quote from the rules of this forum. May explain why other companies do not post.

"You may not use the Open Roads Forum to either advertise or promote commercial endeavors. This includes direct posts, member name, URLS in your profile or signature, as well as, active links to other sites on the Internet."

You are incorrect my friend...... The Good Sam service team replies all the time on the Camping World Good Sam forum....... so.............. yeah......
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wanted something that worked all of the time so when I had my sensors stopped reporting properly with my TST system, I just chucked it and went with another brand. I didn't really think I should have to accept that anything in my coach was interfering with the TPMS sytem. I figured that was the manufacturer's responsibility.
I bought the EEZ RV TPMS system four years ago and it has worked great and is obviously compatible with everything else in my coach. I changed batteries at two years, just because they are cheap and easy to change so I don't know how the system reacts to a low battery in a sensor.
My EEZ locks on to the wheel sensors in a few minutes and always before I have gotten out of the RV park and on to the highway.
Since I have the flow through sensors, I still check my tire pressure before starting out each day. The flow through sensors means that my sensors stay locked on to my valve stems and checking tire pressure is a simple as removing the cap and using my tire gauge. Since we usually travel during the Winter months, we are used to a large swing in the temperature so it is not unusual for me to have to add air when we start out on very cold morning.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm Sarge. Why yes, my cockpit is a RFI boiling pot: 2 phones running Maps/WAZE, a Garmin, and a rear camera. In fact the TST display is mounted on top of the camera display! I'll have to do some trials. I was leaning with bad extenders and going to swap all of them for new and put even newer batteries in the sensors. Thanks much for the idea.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Belgique wrote:
I love my TST system and the folks there even if I am now having problems with several of the sensors. They work fine in the driveway and then go blank on the road. It's probably something I'm doing. I'd buy from them again. I've been with them since around '09.

Were you running a GPS or something else that could have interfered with the sensor signals. This happened to me recently after running my TST's for years on the MH. I heard about this and ran the Toad using the TST system and no problems. Evidently it was my GPS that did it.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
I really like a company that is not afraid to answer questions on a forum and you will be getting my business. It just makes all of us better educated.

A quote from the rules of this forum. May explain why other companies do not post.

"You may not use the Open Roads Forum to either advertise or promote commercial endeavors. This includes direct posts, member name, URLS in your profile or signature, as well as, active links to other sites on the Internet."

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
I love my TST system and the folks there even if I am now having problems with several of the sensors. They work fine in the driveway and then go blank on the road. It's probably something I'm doing. I'd buy from them again. I've been with them since around '09.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:
"SGTJOE"......Now that you bring it up, I remember all of that drama with TST in the beginning.

Yeah, it was a hoot. That outfit in Colorado was called SAF-TEE and I did get the first unit. And the next one. I sent those to Dan Covington at TST a few years ago so he could display them as the first sensor systems. Too bad they sold the Company, hopefully with Mike back it will come back as they were when Dan owned it.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"SGTJOE"......Now that you bring it up, I remember all of that drama with TST in the beginning.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
As for the inner dually there are extensions that will bring them out with the outer dually. I am actually the one who located what is now called TST (Truck Systems Tech) years ago. It was being sold out of Colorado and since I was looking for a system that showed PSI and TEMP, I bought one and posted the info on here. Well, a lot of folks liked the system and ordered them, the outfit selling them got overwhelmed and started charging the customers prior to shipping to them while he waited to get them from his China Supplier. Needless to stay he went under. A gentleman out of Texas jumped in and took over the exclusive distributorship and even covered those of us who had the systems if we had problems. A relative of his acted as the CEO of TST in their headquarters. While they owned TST the customer service and prices were great up until it kinda dropped in customer service when the new owner made some employee changes. During this time I believe the service was not what a lot of us where used to. Now that they have a previous employee back it is heading back up to it's reputation. The EEZE system looks to me like it's basically the same as TST when I looked at it in one of the Yuma Swap Meets a few years ago. I noticed recently that a Forum TST had on another RV website is now closed, why, I don't know.
I have been running the 507 system since it was first available and have had few if any problems. I have a 39' Tradewinds and I did need the repeater. Batteries are easy to change when you have to do it. Currently I have one sensor that since I changed the battery on it it won't pop up on the display. This happened once before and when I drove the MH it showed up. Why? I don't know. But in my opinion either TST or EEZE (?) would be a great choice
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I've been watching this thread since I'm going to buy a TPMS.

Out of curiosity, I've got a couple of questions if anyone has answers:

1. I presently have a SmarTire RV TPMS. It has the straps that go around the rim (inside the tire). Bendix no longer supports this system and mine doesn't work right so I can't get it fixed. Should all tires be broke down from the rim and the straps removed or can I just add a valve stem TPMS?

2. How do you put the sensors on the inside dually? The holes in my outside rim are certainly not big enough to get my hand in there. Do I need to change my stems to the kind that that stick through the outer rim? Right now the stems are pretty short and I have to use a long gauge and air chuck to service the inside dually. The outside dually has the 'reverse" valve stem. I have to use a reverse-oriented (dual foot) air chuck and gauge for it. Do they need to be changed to point to the outside.

3. One last question. When comparing reviews on Amazon with TST 507, EEZ RV and TireTraker TT-500 systems I have found EEZ RV typically gets better reviews than TST. TireTraker also gets better reviews (but not as many and may be newer to the market) and it has a lifetime warranty. For TST folks that have used more than one system, why do you like TST over the EEZ RV or TireTraker? The costs are comparable and I just want to get the best bang for the buck. I especially want to get a quick readout. I don't want to have to drive 20 miles before I know my air pressure. In short, why are most folks liking TST over other systems OTHER than that's what you have and you like it?

I also noticed on another big RV forum, the folks over there seem to like EEZ RV better so I know it all depends on to whom you're talking and what is recommended.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the EEZ RV tire pressure monitoring system with the flow through sensors. I went with the flow through sensors because I do not have to remove them to add air. Once they are locked on to the valve stems, they stay there. Makes adding air a piece of cake and definitely worth the few extra bucks for the better sensors.
I have changed the batteries on the sensors which is as easy as removing two screws to remove the cover.

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
Another TST owner works great good company good service
2009 Challenger

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also a TST fan. When I first purchased, I had a couple of issues. One was the extension on the inner dual. I called TST and they recommended a brand that solved the problem. The second was a reception issue. They had me try a couple of things until it was determined that I needed a repeater. Once the system was up and running, it has been problem free.

I've replaced the batteries once, along with the O-rings. They're very simple to service.

Recently, I changed to the color monitor and had some programming issues. I called TST and they quickly resolved the problem.

I have to say, TST has some of the best customer service you could ask for. I know one gentleman there works late and often answers the phone after business hours. That's real service to me and someone who is proud of their company and product.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab