cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy fuel tanks (80-85 gal)

rvhavingfunyetT
Explorer
Explorer
I just acquired a 1996 Fleetwood Southwind 34L based on the Chevy P30 chases. I pulled the fuel tank out today and want to attempt to clean all the gunk and rust out as it has been sitting in a field for 7 years. My thought was to put a cleaning mixture inside to try and remove the rust and gunk. I've seen people use everything from muriatic acid diluted with water, to vinegar, etc., then pressure wash it. My biggest concern is making sure I can even drain the tank completely. IE...I removed the sending unit and turned the tank upside down to try and dump out what fuel was remaining (around 7 gallons), but it's not that easy getting it all to drain out.

So, I am all ears if anyone has some tricks to completely empty out the tank...or if they can point me in the right direction to buy a new tank.

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

bobman
Explorer
Explorer
google using electrolysis with a battery charger to get rust out of fuel tanks

nothing else come close to being as effective and it’s simple

been doing this to old motorcycle and car tanks for years

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I dropped my tank cleaned it out put some sort of stuff in it don't rember the name reinstalled still no good. Dropped tank again took it to a radiator shop re installed still no good. Dropped tank again sent it to the shop I linked to above wow came back like a work of art.
I have built a few motorcycle and always used Kreem in the tanks. The problem with any product that coats the tank you need to keep rotating it to get coverage and with the baffles in your 80 gal tank to keep the fuel sloshing around it is impossible to coat it properly.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Radiator shop

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, yeah, one other thing might help...don't bother with the internal fuel pump if it has one. Just install an external. Napa carries them. Doing that goes along with the extra fuel filter, if the pump is external, makes it much easier to take off and blow out any debris if the tank isn't quite as clean as you'd like.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
After restoring several Classic Cars with old fuel tanks I think you have done the best that yo can to clean it. Denatured alcohol will blend with any water/fuel remaining might make it easier to get all of the liquid and debris out.
After you have it cleaned, there are several companies that make products to coat the interior of your fuel tank. If you can look inside and if the interior surfaces look clean, I would avoid using any coating products. After you have the tank assembled, I would add an additional external fuel filter, designed for engines with fuel injectors, to catch any remaining small particles that will break loose. Keep the fuel tank as full as possible after you go through all of this trouble. With a spotlessly clean interior, it will develop rust in a matter of weeks if it is allowed to sit unused and low on fuel.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
If you are wanting a new tank, and you all ready have the old one out, take it to a welding shop, or machine shop and get an estimate to have a new one made. May not be very cheap, but it can be done.
Good luck
Wildmanbaker

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Removed it and sent it Here. Came back awesome but was not cheap with the shipping both ways.

Probably the BEST solution !

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Once read a RV'ers write up of the work he did cleaning and restoring an old gas tank from a junker RV he'd bought. Quite the story. Chains where dropped in and rattled around to knock off rust and debris, than some chemical goo to seal it up on the insides. Some patches on the outside.

Lot of work. Interesting story. Good luck with yours, hope it's an easy job!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many marine firms that will fabricate a tank to your dimensions. We used to use stuff call KREEM to coat the inside of motorcycle tanks that were rusty.. it worked great. Just don't know how cost effective it would be on a large RV tank.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried siphoning it out? Stand it on a corner use a 1/4" hose and siphon.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
you might check with one of your local truck repair shops and find who they use for their radiator repairs, some radiator shops also repair fuel tanks. for a cheap pump get a outboard motor primer pump, it is a rubber bulb that you squeeze to get the fuel flowing and from there it will siphon

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Gas Tank repair Gas tank repair/replace San Antonio.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Fleet Man wrote:
That shop in PA looks interesting. For a new tank, check withTransfer Flow in Chico, CA.

X1. I have had 3 different diesel auxiliary tanks on 3 different vehicles installed by Transfer Flow in Chico. Great professional service and 1 day service. Or they will give you the name of a shop that has the expertise to remove and install a new tank. Transfer Flow does not mfg. a auxiliary tank for gas trucks.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
That shop in PA looks interesting. For a new tank, check withTransfer Flow in Chico, CA.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS