cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firefox quantum 57.0 questions

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
My laptop firefox has updated to quantum 57.0 and I'm trying to get things back to normal. I very much like the layout of the previous FF. Thought maybe some of you have been through this already.

My desktop is still pre-quantum. The menu bar has the back arrow at the far left, then moving left to right, the url, the reload button, the search box, the bookmarks star, the bookmarks list, the download progress arrow, the home button, the pocket button, then what I think is an add-on button shows minus sign - % - plus sign, the screen shot scissors, add block button, and finally the menu button. I'm quite fond of this layout.

The quantum on the laptop is different and I'm missing some things. Maybe somebody knows where they are hiding, or they
may be right in front of me.

1) Where did the favorites button go? That's kind of important.

2) Where did my beloved Zoom button with percentages go? I think it's an extension called Zoom page WE. Edit: says this add-on is not compatible with quantum. Great.

3) How do I turn automatic updates off on the laptop, and can I go back to the previous version of FF?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT update FireFox. I am no longer on FF. It made the update and as a result I no longer had access to it. It would try to boot and come up with an error message that I was missing my profile and never loaded.

I do not like IE, but had a copy with my bookmarks. I down loaded Chrome and pulled all my bookmarks from IE.

DO NOT upgrade FF.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerider and rrupert.
Yes, selecting 'light' helped a bunch. A bit easier for me to read.

At this point I guess I'm committed to making quantum work as well as possible on the laptop. I did try a couple restore to a previous date, but both resulted in some sort of error message.

Now have the laptop at my desk attempting to make the quantum layout match the desktop (previous version of FF pre-quantum) layout.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Wrace wrote:
Ok, I think I got most of it back to the way I had it in the previous version thanks to your help.

It seems that at some point in the process the background colors on the menu bar and the tabs got changed from white to black, and the text got changed from black to white.

I would like the menu bar and the tabs to have a white background with white text?

Right click in the top margin and then click on customize. At the bottom of the screen there is themes. Click on light.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Rangerider
Explorer
Explorer
White background with white text? Do you mean white background with black text?
If so go to "customize and then "theme" and select light.
Me & the Wife
2012 Thor Hurricane 32A
Future Toad: 2008 Honda CR-V

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I think I got most of it back to the way I had it in the previous version thanks to your help.

It seems that at some point in the process the background colors on the menu bar and the tabs got changed from white to black, and the text got changed from black to white.

I would like the menu bar and the tabs to have a white background with white text?

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Opera with Duck-Duck-Go for the past 2 years and it work well! Even has a built in VPN, Very Private network Free. Have it on my MacBook Air 2009 model.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
Right click on an open area on the tool bar. There you will find an option to turn on both the bookmarks toolbar and the menu bar.

I understand..
mine upgraded with both checked ON.. so I did not see much change.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Right click on an open area on the tool bar. There you will find an option to turn on both the bookmarks toolbar and the menu bar.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Firefox for a few years now. No problems. Just yesterday i got a full page from Firefox about their new version.

I went for it. Like the OP...where did things go? Found my "favorites" on another part of the page....in general didn't like it. Couldn't get out from under it.

So...I went to "systems restore", went back 3 days....took a few minits...but back to where I was. I suspect this new version is for smart phones?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's nice to see they finally fixed many of the memory leak problems that the last iteration of Firefox had. This one actually runs fairly well, not great, but better.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wrace wrote:
My laptop firefox has updated to quantum 57.0 and I'm trying to get things back to normal. I very much like the layout of the previous FF. Thought maybe some of you have been through this already.

My desktop is still pre-quantum. The menu bar has the back arrow at the far left, then moving left to right, the url, the reload button, the search box, the bookmarks star, the bookmarks list, the download progress arrow, the home button, the pocket button, then what I think is an add-on button shows minus sign - % - plus sign, the screen shot scissors, add block button, and finally the menu button. I'm quite fond of this layout.

The quantum on the laptop is different and I'm missing some things. Maybe somebody knows where they are hiding, or they
may be right in front of me.

1) Where did the favorites button go? That's kind of important.

2) Where did my beloved Zoom button with percentages go? I think it's an extension called Zoom page WE. Edit: says this add-on is not compatible with quantum. Great.

3) How do I turn automatic updates off on the laptop, and can I go back to the previous version of FF?

Thanks

Get Classic Theme Restorer, it allows you to "fix" the UI back to a USABLE UI. You can put back nearly all the tools that for some reason FF developers took out that made life easy.

I don't like finding my browser no longer works right or looks right or features removed type of surprises so I ALWAYS disable the automatic updates..

I only update as needed when websites no longer work correctly.

Not sure about your version but since version 30 something you can open the "menu" which looks like a window shutter to me (right hand side of the screen in the tool bar). Then choose "options" (looks like a gear)which opens a new browser tab, you should see a tab marked Updates.

And for those who are freaking out about not updating the browser.. I say BS about security risks increasing if not patched right away..

The better way of lowering security risks is to stop them proactively via Adblockers like AdBlockPlus and so on.. Patches are so after the fact and often the exploits have been already used in malware for months before the patches get released.

And for really increasing browser security add in NoScript!

NoScript stops a significant amount of HARMFUL third party JavaScripts which are the MAIN way adware, malware, keyloggers, viruses get loaded.

NoScript can be a pain since it stops good scripts and bad scripts so you will have to re-enable some scripts to get some websites working again..

Rangerider
Explorer
Explorer
OP Some of those things are under the ... in the URL Bar. Others are under the menu bars on the end. Click on "customize" and you can drag and drop (- % + for example)to and from the menu bar. You can also move things around on the menu bar while in "customize". Once I fiddled with mine for a while I kinda like it. You can also change the Theme at the bottom of the "customize" area. Hope this helps.
Me & the Wife
2012 Thor Hurricane 32A
Future Toad: 2008 Honda CR-V

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
look in your download folder... the firefox 56.01 .. or 56.00....

zoom is control key and the plus key... or minus..

as for turning off update.. its in the Tools at top of page... "Options" and about half way down the page.. is updates...