17 REPLIES 17

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
Nose Cone video.

Nose Cone video

Pretty much says it all.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't get better mileage, but I also didn't get worse.
So the extra 1' in width must have been offset somewhat by the V and the slanted roof.

Still not enough to make a real difference.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Nose Cone video.

Nose Cone video

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
I have a 7x12 tandem slanted roof Vnose.
I was hoping I would get a little better mileage than my 6x12 flat nose tandem.

No such luck.

I researched that a lot before deciding on a nose cone. V nose wasn't for me. Check out youtube for nose cones and you will see how air flows with one installed.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Bedlam
The extra width is catching air.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 7x12 tandem slanted roof Vnose.
I was hoping I would get a little better mileage than my 6x12 flat nose tandem.

No such luck.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
Could not see the posted images. Best thing I did to my cargo trailer was a Nose Cone. It really works and makes that trailer ride true

A picture is worth a thousand words. Do you have one of your Nose Cone?
I hope I did this correctly

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.
I don't have a straight on photo. I guess I should have one. This was taken at the Wells Cargo factory in Ogden UT last summer
We love our Westie

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of improvement in mileage have you seen?
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I knew a guy who used a truck cap the same way. He owned his own custom cabinetry business and used to have his enclosed hooked up to his work truck all the time. He wanted to find a way to save money when fuel got to $5 so he caught a used camper and did some modifications to it making side extenders and a air deflector on top. It looked kind of weird, but he said it saved him about 1-2 mpg and made the trailer a little easier to tow on the highway. For how many miles he put on that truck, that was a huge bonus.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Bedlam

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you can not see the image, do a right-click on the word "image" and then select "open in new tab" or... copy image address, and then paste it in a new tab or browser window. It works for the original posters link, but not on the second post link.

I found when I carried my canoe on top of my Suburban and then later my first duly pick up truck (on top of a shell with ladder racks), my tow was a lot more comfortable. Less suck-pull from passing semi trucks and better mileage (slightly).

My current trailer is so heavy, it makes no difference with the canoe or not.

I like the photo. Pretty creative. Simple changes can make a big difference.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
Could not see the posted images. Best thing I did to my cargo trailer was a Nose Cone. It really works and makes that trailer ride true

A picture is worth a thousand words. Do you have one of your Nose Cone?

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Westie

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
slow down.... 55-60...

aerodynamics and weight...

or reduce gravity...

or only drive with a tailwind. ๐Ÿ™‚

just did a 1,800 mile trip. 20 to 30 mph head wind... I get 9 with trailer.. this time 7.5 to 8....