cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does your truck lean to one side?

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all again so i'm back with a small issue ... other day was sting in front of my truck and realized the front end one side sat higher then the other. The truck 08 LNGBD LMM HD has had 2" keys to make it sit level and allow me to stuff 325 60 20s under it and it was always level but having enough of the rough ride I broke down and spent a grand on the spindle CST makes to then put the stock keys back and the new spindle.Everything was fine for about the first month then I noticed the lean .... spindle added was a 4" and a 1" block hoping that would level it....but any how can this be a bad shock or worn key or bar ? Weird thing is the side thats lower (driver) torsion key bolt is cranked 7-8 times were as the (pass)side thats sitting higher torsion bolt is backed out far as possible were the bump stop is resting were it should be on the A arm

I cant figure out why the side cranked can or why it would be lower any one know somtthin "shout out to the devil"

Thanks fellas
29 REPLIES 29

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not sure how they or if they wear either lol but I took the ones in question off and lined them up and didn’t see anything to indicate wear of any sort I would post a pic but we would all be looking at normal looking keys so I’m still just as puzzled ... just bought new ones and it sits level.

For using the level right in the center of the hood centered on the M if it’s a gmc and it’ll show you witch way you are leaning as well as jacking the rear end up and checking for light to show under what tire first as some one above stated.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well I stand corected apparently. Like you, I have no ideas how the t bar keys could "wear", but glad you got it sorted out.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
LMMNOCATS_EFI wrote:
I tried posting one pic and it im not sure it came through but yep that at least for this truck was the fix , new keys and the bubble on the level stays center with the level centered on the hood , even from the ground up as well from the top of the tire and it’s all even as can be. Funny thing is the used stock keys I took off didn’t look damaged or off any in shape or form so god only knows what the issue could have been but not asking questions now just rackin up more miles ....

Interesting using a level. I'll try that for kicks. I measured from the ground to the bottom of the fender at the wheel centerlines. Did that way to measure as I set up my trailer weight distribution hitch.

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
And as far as the warentty I think if you can prove the keys are worn they should cover , Ive got almost 400k on the clock and this is my first heavy truck and or Diesel so no clue how a warentty works on new trucks maybe some one will chime in about that...

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
I tried posting one pic and it im not sure it came through but yep that at least for this truck was the fix , new keys and the bubble on the level stays center with the level centered on the hood , even from the ground up as well from the top of the tire and it’s all even as can be. Funny thing is the used stock keys I took off didn’t look damaged or off any in shape or form so god only knows what the issue could have been but not asking questions now just rackin up more miles ....

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
LMMNOCATS_EFI wrote:
So I’ve found the issue , the keys that were in the truck ones put in after the leveling keys were removed were stock but used and had to have been worn as some of you posted hardly “it’s just the way they sit just as the brand new ones on the lots” couldn’t be further from the truth. So if you have one that’s leaning I would start by ordering set on stock keys from GM parts direct think they were 29 bucks and I replaced the bump stop as well cuz I was down there .... swapped out the keys and stops and reloaded the bolts and the truck couldn’t sit more level and the bolts are at even turns so this is the cheapest way to trouble shoot it if you run into or for if you that said there’s was leaning try. Changing out the keys and go from there good luck and thanks for the responses

Any pictures that you could share? My truck is still under warranty. Probably should be covered?

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
So I’ve found the issue , the keys that were in the truck ones put in after the leveling keys were removed were stock but used and had to have been worn as some of you posted hardly “it’s just the way they sit just as the brand new ones on the lots” couldn’t be further from the truth. So if you have one that’s leaning I would start by ordering set on stock keys from GM parts direct think they were 29 bucks and I replaced the bump stop as well cuz I was down there .... swapped out the keys and stops and reloaded the bolts and the truck couldn’t sit more level and the bolts are at even turns so this is the cheapest way to trouble shoot it if you run into or for if you that said there’s was leaning try. Changing out the keys and go from there good luck and thanks for the responses

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed it on my 2016 Silverado 2500HD that I just bought in the Fall. I was measuring the front and rear when setting up my WDH and noticed that the front was about 1/2" different from side to side. I qot curious and checked out a brand new one on the dealer lot and it too was not consistent on the front from side to side. Same as mine. Maybe the fluids and DEF tank?

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
Well Artic I have owned the truck for quite some time now and have done all the work on it as well and it is something to worry about when the side of the truck that is cranked many times more the driver side then the passenger side and it’s still sagging on the drivers side there is a problem so just cranking the key more isn’t going to fix anything ... I’m certain there’s an issue because like another said on this same post to jack her up and check the rear tires and it sure enough was off meaning there’s an issue in the front end problem is finding it ... I’m thinking replace the keys and go from there

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I rescind my previous response. Your truck has 377k on it and you're worried about 1/2" of lean on 1 corner? Crank the bar a couple more turns on that side. Bound to be some wear n tear on a truck with that many miles.
I've had/seen many vehicles that lean a little new or old. Many pickups arent straight in back. The torsion bars are adjustable for a reason.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you have anything wrong, I just checked my 2013 and it is the same about six turns more on the drivers side. And nothing has changed since new on the suspension.

Bedlam
It still seems to me that you need to evenly index your torsion bar keys between left and right sides. I could understand some variation in metallurgy, but you have an extreme case of something being off that is outside of the adjustment range.

http://djmsuspension.com/torsion-keys/

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
Jacked truck up and yep the right rear tire starts to show light before the left or driver side , and this is with the driver side key cranked well past the passenger side key that is cranked maybe a half turn just so it doesn’t fall out any suggestions ? That last one helped ... thanks for the info guy

Bedlam
To see if the rear suspension is affecting the front, chock the front tires and jack up the rear of the truck under the center of the receiver until you can see a little light under rear tires. If the truck is level, it is a rear suspension problem. If it is still uneven, you verified that the front is asymmetrical.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD