cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very Informative video on choosing a 5th wheel trailer

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
This video shows the differences between the high and low end 5th wheel trailers. Pretty informative, especially about the tires! Only expect about 5,000 miles on the cheap tires before replacing them. Enjoy; Video Click here
4 REPLIES 4

jtbuilds
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
It's always good to get as much info as possible before making a purchase, however I find fault with some of the statements made. The one stating that most all slideouts are equal just isn't true. One type that I can think of without mentioning the name had a nearly 60% failure rate according to a poll taken on one of the forums. Look carefully at the heft of the mechanism and have the salesman open and close them several times as poor quality will show up quickly. Toward the end of the video he mentions the tires being out of alignment when I can show you the same thing on most any of the units if the unit was backed into the spot from an angle. If the trailer is pulled forward just a little that appearance will go away. So just looking at the wheels is not a good approach. Like he stated the size and make of the axles and tires is where the real difference is. So that video can be a starting point, but research is still necessary.

110%

Less than 30% of what he says is correct. Using those tires as an example of axles being out of alignment was remarkable.

Hope he learn allot more before making another video.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
some items were scary to me. Under size axles and cheap tires. Something I added before I was told from anyone. Thanks for the video to the OP.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda like the "Consumers Guide"..:(

There's NO substitute for getting out and looking, and looking - and doing your own research.

However - part of your research *IS* tires! - Plenty of info here.

Hint! Don't settle for *less than* quality tires from the dealer.

~

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
It's always good to get as much info as possible before making a purchase, however I find fault with some of the statements made. The one stating that most all slideouts are equal just isn't true. One type that I can think of without mentioning the name had a nearly 60% failure rate according to a poll taken on one of the forums. Look carefully at the heft of the mechanism and have the salesman open and close them several times as poor quality will show up quickly. Toward the end of the video he mentions the tires being out of alignment when I can show you the same thing on most any of the units if the unit was backed into the spot from an angle. If the trailer is pulled forward just a little that appearance will go away. So just looking at the wheels is not a good approach. Like he stated the size and make of the axles and tires is where the real difference is. So that video can be a starting point, but research is still necessary.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work