cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery disconnect in "off" position, anything connected?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to sort out fuse panel labels and OEM's hand writing is not good. Can't read their writing.

Question...When the battery disconnect is in the "off" position, depending on how OEM wired, the propane alarm still has power to it? Anything else that might or should have power to it?

Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
8 REPLIES 8

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty easy to follow the wires. If the hot side of the battery switch is the only wire going to the battery bank then the switch kills all of the trailer. The only way anything is getting power is if a second wire is going into the switch bypassing the switch inside to the hot terminal.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Winnebago Outlook I had for 10 years had the cutoff switch disconnect everything.

The Airstream FC 23FB I have now leaves the propane detector, solar chargers, breakaway switch, tongue jack and inverter powered. I moved the hot wire for the propane detector so it cuts off with the disconnect. I put a separate disconnect switch on the inverter. I left the tongue jack, breakaway switch and solar chargers directly connected to the battery.

It all depends on how the manufacturer built it. There is no standard.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 5th wheel
Disconnect OFF kills DC to Main DC Dist Panel only. It is in the Battery POS cable.
Slides, rear stabilizers, front landing gear legs and LP Detector still have power. They are ALL wired directly to battery

Easy to check yours...just check battery POS post, cable and what is connected to POS post and where is disconnect attached.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Trailer here....only the tongue jack (it's wired independently)
Everything else is off.
But with a quick and simple test with a multi-meter for each system will give you the answer for your unit.

on mine the jack and breakaway power to the brakes is still connected.

But confirm on YOUR trailer. mfg may or may not wire the disconnect to disconnect everything.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer here....only the tongue jack (it's wired independently)
Everything else is off.
But with a quick and simple test with a multi-meter for each system will give you the answer for your unit.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Alarms and steps are sometimes wired to chassis and/or coach batteries - I transferred them all exclusively to the coach batteries as dead chassis batteries is bigger problem than dead coach battery.
Kevin

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Alarms and steps are sometimes wired to chassis and/or coach batteries - I transferred them all exclusively to the coach batteries as dead chassis batteries is dangerous if your stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Kevin

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Depends on the rig's manufacturer and model
In the case of a MH,
Step may have power off chassis battery
Some chassis will have power to dash
Trailer/5ers could have power to slides and tongue jack.

I would suggest you add your rig to profile for better responses.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker