cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Parks in Oregon,Washington,Canada

Hamnet
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All. This forum provided us great information for our Utah trip this year which we returned last August.
Next year we want to go North to Oregon, Washington and Canada.
-First stop will be in Ashland, Oregon area (visit family)
- Then head North to Redmond, Washington (visit family)
- Then on to Canada.( to where we don't know yet)
Then on way back we will probably head South on I5 then to the Oregon Coast.
We will travel in August and September. Any and all RV Park recommendations would be appreciated.
We are traveling with a 40' 5th wheel. If I need to provide additional information I can, just let me know. I will print out all responses. Thank you in advance.
25 REPLIES 25

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We have camped at Oregon state parks April, May, early June, September, October, early November and can always find a standard non hookup site. But, for a 40’ MH that needs full hook ups, you will need reservations. We have a few Boondock sites close within a mile or two of 101 but the homeless have moved in. Enjoy, both coasts are gorgeous, the Oregon Coast being more accessible.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Past experience shows that timing is everything. Peak season weekends, Friday & Saturday, faggetaboutit without reservations at any popular SP with services. The weekend warriors booked them long ago.

Off peak season, when schools are in, Sunday to Thursday, if you are happy without all the services, especially if you are happy to dry camp, drive up site availability is much better.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
Newport, OR has a few private parks, and just South of the main bridge, is a great Oregon State Park. Super good Fish & Chips just South of the bridge too... (I've been sworn to secrecy on the name. But, look for a small flying saucer, on the West side of the main road, after you cross the bridge. A few minutes past the exit to the great aquarium.

We also enjoyed Coos Bay...

Best of luck to you on your trip...
Smitty

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
If you are considering the Oregon State Parks along the coast even in Sept. I would advise you to have reservations made especially given the size of your 5er. The Oregon State campground system are some of the most scenic you will find along the Oregon coast
John and Judie Beliera
2008 Laredo 29RL, Fiver (Mustang Sally)
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2015 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 liter

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Any weekend in Washington State during your time period, will require reservations. On the web site, you can set your search as Large or Extra Large trailer, and get a good idea of where you will fit. State Parks on the west side of the Cascades quite often have trees overhanging the roads inside the campground, so be sure to check other web sites if your 5 is tall.

If you do decide to come up 97, where you cross in to WA is Maryhill SP. Really nice park on the Columbia, Maryhill Museum is close by, Sam Hill's War Memorial replica of Stonehenge is on the hill above, and our favorite winery, Maryhill Winery, is west on SR 14.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
ORbiker wrote:
Hamnet wrote:
Hello All. This forum provided us great information for our Utah trip this year which we returned last August.
Next year we want to go North to Oregon, Washington and Canada.
-First stop will be in Ashland, Oregon area (visit family)
- Then head North to Redmond, Washington (visit family)
- Then on to Canada.( to where we don't know yet)
Then on way back we will probably head South on I5 then to the Oregon Coast.
We will travel in August and September. Any and all RV Park recommendations would be appreciated.
We are traveling with a 40' 5th wheel. If I need to provide additional information I can, just let me know. I will print out all responses. Thank you in advance.

I haven't stayed here yet, but I have heard it is nice.
Ashland area
Emigrant-Lake

Try to stay off I-5 as much as you can in Oregon to see the real Oregon. 97 going north and 101 going south would be better scenery.
If you go up to Crater Lake from Ashland; DO NOT take 66 with the 5'er. Highway 62 would be less of a grade.
In Prospect, Oregon is an rv park. It's close to the south entrance to Crater Lake NP. Leave the RV in Prospect or Diamond Lake.

We stayed at Emigrant Lake fall 2017, at the end of October. Was a late planned trip, and reserved the last spot in the campground with power, 30 days out. The host said the place was full every weekend. We were able to do a lot of walking around the park. Folks were fishing....but didn't see any catching.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
In the 4 out of 8 years we have spent a major portion of the winters on the Oregon Coast - even in the winter they get booked up on key dates - As I have previously stated May of 2018 is pretty well booked up in even the private parks - do not be fooled by folks who do not have first hand experience on the Oregon coast
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Hamnet
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses. Please keep them coming. I will start printing out all replies and start investigsting and make reservations. Looks like once we pin down dates we will make reservations at Lake Pleasant CG for starters. Now to plan locations to and from there. Thanks again

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Headed to the Oregon coast in May & not really planning on making reservations for the SPs. FHUs are always in high demand & weekends are always in high demand but if you are happy with power & water or just power a whole load of sites are usually available. Better still, dry camp. There the issue often is site size & the ability of the RV to get into it.

If all fails at the SPs the private CGs almost always have room to squeeze one more in.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
ORbiker wrote:

Getting into a spot in a Oregon State Park on the coast with a 40 ft 5'er is also going to be a bit of a challenge.

With our 40' motorhome and Jeep we've stayed at these state parks Beverly Beach, Bullards Beach, Cape Blanco, Carl Washburne, Fort Stevens and Harris Beach.

Washburne & Cape Blanco don't even accept reservations. We loved Cape Blanco - awesome beach and definitely not crowded! Even though the others accept reservations we didn't have one. We traveled mid-week and pulled in early when folks just left.

Ya
I think a motorhome can get in. A long 5th wheel has got a bit less maneuverability then a big motorhome.

I think we are about 62 ft long counting the truck.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
ORbiker wrote:

Getting into a spot in a Oregon State Park on the coast with a 40 ft 5'er is also going to be a bit of a challenge.

With our 40' motorhome and Jeep we've stayed at these state parks Beverly Beach, Bullards Beach, Cape Blanco, Carl Washburne, Fort Stevens and Harris Beach.

Washburne & Cape Blanco don't even accept reservations. We loved Cape Blanco - awesome beach and definitely not crowded! Even though the others accept reservations we didn't have one. We traveled mid-week and pulled in early when folks just left.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Getting spot in Oregon State Park on the coast during summer is getting harder and harder - especially for multi day stay. Best chance is to wait until school is back in session. You should be able to find a spot in Sept without reservation so long as your not trying to stay on a weekend.

Getting into a spot in a Oregon State Park on the coast with a 40 ft 5'er is also going to be a bit of a challenge. When we had our pickup camper and the price was $17 we stayed at the Oregon State Parks a lot. We have driven through some of the same parks and picturing having our 42 ft 5'er behind us. The trees are close and if there is a tow vehicle part way in the road, we would not be able to go through without them moving.

Winchester Bay RV resort is a nice park.
So is Turtle Rock.
in Newport there is the Port of Newport’s South Beach Marina & RV Park . It's a lot of pavement, but the location is great.
Astoria, Oregon is a very interesting town. Lots of history. Fort Stevens State Park is an exception to the too small for bigger rigs rule. In Astoria; go to the Columbia River Maritime Museum
That's enough for now. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
ORbiker wrote:

Ashland area
Emigrant-Lake

Try to stay off I-5 as much as you can in Oregon to see the real Oregon. 97 going north and 101 going south would be better scenery.
If you go up to Crater Lake from Ashland; DO NOT take 66 with the 5'er. Highway 62 would be less of a grade.
In Prospect, Oregon is an rv park. It's close to the south entrance to Crater Lake NP. Leave the RV in Prospect or Diamond Lake.

I stayed at Emigrant Lake for a couple of days in October. Great views from most of the sites. An interesting reservation system - all reservations can only be made for two weeks in advance. This allows first come on any empty site, and, depending on when it is booked, up to 2 weeks stay available. Some photos of the campground on this and the next few pages.

Also full hookups are $30 and res fee of 8-10

Reservation are as follows -
Reservations may be made online/phone 15 days to 9 months (calendar days) in advance of the first night's stay
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
ORbiker wrote:

Ashland area
Emigrant-Lake

I stayed at Emigrant Lake for a couple of days in October. Great views from most of the sites. An interesting reservation system - all reservations can only be made for two weeks in advance. This allows first come on any empty site, and, depending on when it is booked, up to 2 weeks stay available. Some photos of the campground on this and the next few pages.