cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vancouver Island

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Planning on visiting Vancouver Island arriving early to mid May. Any words of wisdom? We are near 55' LOA so ferry charges are a factor. Any preferences for which route to take for any particular reason?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
25 REPLIES 25

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Explorenorth, will research the Port Hardy to Bella Coola ferry. Those grades can't be worse than some of the grades on & off the Blue Ridge parkway that we have done. If the logging trucks can do it, so can we. Just go slow & be careful.

On edit: Oh well, that idea scuttled. Service does not start till mid June. Way too late for us.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
I greatly softened the blow of the fares for 4 BC Ferries crossings last year by spending 4 weeks on Vancouver Island and 9 days on the Sunshine coast (I'm 51 feet with the toad - it saved $50 for the one ferry when my wife was with me and could drive the toad on). We passed quickly through both Victoria and Nanaimo - there is so much incredible country to see, on the coasts and in the forests.

Two years ago, I photographed "The Hill" at Bella Coola in both directions and posted a guide with the mileages and grades. As is so often the case, it's nowhere near as bad as legend suggests ๐Ÿ™‚
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Will find the WA ferry website. Anacortes could work. How is Canadian immigration & customs? Last time we drove into Canada was at the Sarnia, ON crossing. Wheels were stopped for less than a minute. Fastest ever for a border crossing.

Checked on the BC ferries website. Current rates are same no matter S or N of Vancouver terminals. Going to be $633 RT. Oh well, it was about $500 EACH WAY for the Newfoundland trip last year. 6 hour boat ride though. For 2weeks on VI that is about $40 plus per day for the ferry. Not cheap but like Newfoundland, this will be a one shot trip.

Most likely have found this already. If I remember correctly schedules change quarterly.

Washington Ferries Information
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Any one know if the ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Coola is large enough to take them? ( we've never done that one) that would be an awesome ride. and the drive out from there to Williams Lake might be a once in a life time experience

It is definitely a once in a life time trip. You will never forget it. Take a few extra changes of underwear.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Knowing, from past year's posts by you folks, how much you like to explore; don't spend a lot of time in either Victoria on Nanaimo. just head north up the island all the way to Port Hardy. lots of places for you to stop overnight, or longer; Duncan area, Port Hardy. While at Port hardy take the local ferry in your truck to Alert bay and enjoy the totems and especially the excellent Museum there (U-Mista). This is one of the best First Nation museum we have ever been to!!
Enjoy!!
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will find the WA ferry website. Anacortes could work. How is Canadian immigration & customs? Last time we drove into Canada was at the Sarnia, ON crossing. Wheels were stopped for less than a minute. Fastest ever for a border crossing.

Checked on the BC ferries website. Current rates are same no matter S or N of Vancouver terminals. Going to be $633 RT. Oh well, it was about $500 EACH WAY for the Newfoundland trip last year. 6 hour boat ride though. For 2weeks on VI that is about $40 plus per day for the ferry. Not cheap but like Newfoundland, this will be a one shot trip.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Any one know if the ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Coola is large enough to take them? ( we've never done that one) that would be an awesome ride. and the drive out from there to Williams Lake might be a once in a life time experience
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Sounds like OP will be coming across WA 20 to I-5 and then north

Oh well then.....and 20 is such a nice drive, too.

Gary

When they are coming up 5 and ending in Vancouver Island, I don't thing they will cross the North Cascade Highway.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Port Angeles does not work for us. Looking at coming from Olympia to Whidbey Island for a few days then VI, back off VI then N headed to Alaska. Timewise makes no difference to us which terminal we use. Wondering which is preferable due to ease of use, cost, sights along route, demand for space, weekday vs weekend, time of day preferable, general local knowledge one over the other.

We live here, and have done this trip.
I'd suggest that knowing the trip from Victoria to Port Hardy is normally 8-10 hour drive towing.
I'd make reservations on the Wa State ferries from Anacortes to Victoria, (IF IT IS RUNNING) it is a seasonal ferry.
If the WA state ferries are not a option. use Tss..... ferry. this is a 2 hour boat ride. It will cost you well over 300 USD. and you will be stowed with the 18 wheelers on the truck deck.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

Oh well then.....and 20 is such a nice drive, too.

Gary
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
If you want no fuss no muss, use BC ferries. Big parking areas and big boats. Weekdays are easier. You can make a reservation..costs a bit more but takes the worry out of it.
If you are coming up I5, time your drive thru Seattle outside of rush hours and if possible, make it a Sunday morning. The traffic is bad, but I think maybe you aren't all that worried about it.

Vancouver Island...places to see..Tofino and Uculet. Victoria is nice..has it's charm. If you do go to Victoria first and then want to get out of the crowds? Looking at Google Maps...

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Tsawwassen+Terminal,+1+Ferry+Causeway,+Delta,+BC+V4M+4G6/Swartz+Bay+T...

You could spend an easy two weeks doing this. Going any further north kind of begins to loose the wow factor.

However..lets say you followed my mapping? And I see Alaksa is the direction you are headed...

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Courtenay,+BC/Powell+River,+BC/Horseshoe+Bay+Ferry+Terminal,+West+Van...

Food for thought.

Gary Haupt

Thanks. The kind of info I am looking for. Been in the area, Seattle, Tacoma & Olympic Peninsula before.

You are right. The traffic is no biggie. I have done the Washington DC Beltway a number of times. Seattle, as aggresive as some drivers are, is kiddie stuff by comparison. Ferrys we have done before too. Newfoundland,
James River, Texas gulf coast & the Yukon at Dawson City, we are familiar with requirements in loading etc. with them.

The city of Vancouver will be a first but I guess like any other city it is best tackled around midday.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
If you want no fuss no muss, use BC ferries. Big parking areas and big boats. Weekdays are easier. You can make a reservation..costs a bit more but takes the worry out of it.
If you are coming up I5, time your drive thru Seattle outside of rush hours and if possible, make it a Sunday morning. The traffic is bad, but I think maybe you aren't all that worried about it.

Vancouver Island...places to see..Tofino and Uculet. Victoria is nice..has it's charm. If you do go to Victoria first and then want to get out of the crowds? Looking at Google Maps...

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Tsawwassen+Terminal,+1+Ferry+Causeway,+Delta,+BC+V4M+4G6/Swartz+Bay+T...

You could spend an easy two weeks doing this. Going any further north kind of begins to loose the wow factor.

However..lets say you followed my mapping? And I see Alaksa is the direction you are headed...

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Courtenay,+BC/Powell+River,+BC/Horseshoe+Bay+Ferry+Terminal,+West+Van...

Food for thought.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/