cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Friend wanted

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Early last month my best friend, and family Member passed.
Dakota was around 14 years old.
He had problems breathing because off a growth, in his throat and one in his hip area. It caused him to cough badly.
Dr said it would be a waste of time to operate.
He lived over two years after finding that out.
Wife arose early, for some errand and let him out.
He laid in the damp grass and gnawed lightly at a pork chop bone.
He usually crushed and gulps them down in a flash.
She couldn't get him to go back into the house.
She came to the door to call my daughter to help and he wandered down to the spring creek and laid down in it and drank some water.
She came back, put on her boots and got the leash, and went back and got him out of the creek.
He had trouble coming back up the hill.
He wouldn't eat, and hadn't in two days.
He drank a little water.
That evening I called him to the table and fed him some pieces of steak, which he gulped down eagerly.
He went and laid back down on his bed.
A little later, he got up came into the dining room and licked my hand, with sad eyes. It was as though he knew his time had come and he was saying bye.
Early the next morning before I arose, I intended to take him to the Vet, My SIL and daughter wife took hm to the Vet.
He had trouble going in and laid down.
The Girls picked him up lovingly, they said and Kids and wife held onto him hugging him as he departed.
He was always there at my feet, or close and wanted nothing more than his ears scratched.
He never got on the furniture and didn't have accidents until last two days.
I find myself still looking for him or expecting him, to be at the table licking my hand or boosting y elbow with his muzzle, wanting his share. I caught myself calling to him a couple of times.
His bowl is placed in the usual place, he's just not here.
His collar and tags and and leash are in the closet. Daughter will take them with her when they move out.
I'm lost without my best friend maybe my only friend.
He saved us one night two years ago or less when someone came in the door. Wife was in the kitchen and me on the computer in the breakfast nook. Didn't realize what was happening until he charged the door barking vicously.
The door creeked as it closed.
By the time I put two and two together and went out the door to look the night was empty black. Not a sign of anything.
So Dakota find us a good fishing hole and a big tree to sit under. I'll be right along.
Until then I want another friend SIL took the excellent Australian Shepard with him for company until he finds a job. And she is not mine anyway.
What kind of dog can fill Dakota's boots?
he was part Terrier and part Terrier.
Excellent with kids and family and wary of strangers, with good judgement. He loved us all and we him.
Clean, obedient, and no accidents and never on the ffurniture, but he would if we told him too, and... an excellent family watchdog.
17 REPLIES 17

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for your loss. Dakota was obviously well-loved. As others have said, adopt a shelter dog. He/she will be eternally grateful, and you will have a new best friend.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss.

Like others have said, go to a shelter and have one adopt you.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
My mother said "The minute you get a dog, you are signing up for heartbreak". Nevertheless, she always had a dog and so do I. When our Percy died at 16, we waited over a year before getting Bonnie. I wanted to give myself time to not expect too much. I was also signed up with the Novia Scotia Duck Toller Rescue to help us find another Toller and it took awhile to find a good match. You may want to jump right back in or wait awhile. Either way you will find your new friend. lizzie

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
Should of said in the beginning that it was a dog. Couldn't believe how you would treat a family member. "in the wet grass chewing on a pork bone" !!!! Why wouldn't you have called an ambulance.

She usually brings the pork chops to the old dog house for me. Don't have to deal with wet grass.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Awww. I'm so sorry. It hurts so much to lose a beloved pet. They are our constant and devoted companions, with not a complaint and only lots of love. I agree with Crowe, no one can replace him, but another can be there to fill that space in a different way for a new adventure and lifetime of love for you.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Should of said in the beginning that it was a dog. Couldn't believe how you would treat a family member. "in the wet grass chewing on a pork bone" !!!! Why wouldn't you have called an ambulance.
Dennis Hoppert

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry for the loss of Dakota. He loved you all and was loved in return. If you're wanting a new furkid, why not visit the local animal shelter or the Humane Society shelter. All of my dogs were adopted from one of those two places. Most will let you visit with the dogs and see which one picks you out. That's right, I said "picks you" because my best dogs picked me, not me them. They would come up to me and interact with me in a friendly way. One of them approached me and put his "arms" around me in a hug. You'll know when you find the right one.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:

Go to the shelter and visit the dogs. One will reach out and grab your heart.

That's the one.

Yep!

Bizmark has not filled the void Buster the Awesomesauce Dog left. Bizmark is the dog who needed me after Buster passed. And he's the dog I connected with the minute I met him. Every dog is unique and irreplaceable.

I'm so sorry about Dakota.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
So, so sorry for your loss.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just echo what others have said. You can never replace him. He was very unique. but you can began another journey with a new friend and family member. Don't try to duplicate him. Your new friend will also be unique.
Enjoy the good memories. The heart ache will get duller.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss...tears in my eyes. No other pet will fill his boots, but another will earn his own place in your heart. No two have the same personality.
Lost my black and white parti cocker in Jan 2015, had to make the decision. Got Ranger, a black and tan cocker in less than 2 weeks. That was the way it was meant to be. Ranger has earned his own place, a totally different personality, and a great companion. I try to remember all the fun we had traveling, Bailey logged almost 50,000 miles with me. Still a paw print in my heart.

Edited by Barb

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:

That's the one.

x2. Dogs are like people, they have different personalities.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

That's the one.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more