cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 F350 6.2 Gasser, 4.30 gears??

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Been ahwile since I have posted anything, so hopefully I will get the same useful advice as in the past!

I currently have a 2002 F350 SRW Lariet V10 with the 4.30 gears. It's a low mileage truck, just turned 100K miles and is in great shape, but wife wants an upgrade...so of course I'm all in!

We have a 37' Wildcat Fiver, about 11,300 fully loaded, about 2,600 pin weight, and my current rig handles the trailer really well. After we fill everything up with the three of us in the truck, we are well within the payload of my current rig.

We are looking at a 2017 F350 SRW with the newer 6.2, 4.30 gears. Diesel is out of the question because this truck sits for long periods of time and is used primarily for towing, less than 4,000 miles a year. I have experience with the great 6.7 diesel, but sitting around for weeks on end is really hard them and I don't recommend it.

My question: the F350 6.2 4.30 gears is really hard to find east of the Mississippi, so I have not even driven one. I will probably have to order one, so can anyone speak to how it will compare to my current set-up? If I end up with the 3.73, I would probably have to downsize our fiver- a deal killer for the wife!

A bonus question: The 6.7 that I have access to (my dads) is a towing beast, especially DOWN HILL. I was shocked how it managed the downhill grades compared to my old 4 speed that has no grade shifting. How does the new G-Shift for the gasser handle downhills (obviously not the same as the diesel with the turbo helping as well), but hopefully is an improvement over my 2002.

Thanks!
25 REPLIES 25

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Groover wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
According to this article, they must have made some internal changes to the 6.2L for 2017, because the torque has increased from 405 lb-ft @ 4,500 rpm to 430 lb-ft @ 3,800 rpm

In the past, the rumor was the 6.2L was not offer in Super Duty because of potential overheating issues. They must have fixed that.

Actually, the big win of newer Super Duty pickups over older ones in the 6R140 transmission. SOLID !

The other interesting rumor is that Ford is working on a 8/9/10 speed transmission for Super Duty and Medium Duty (as motor home) trucks. Probably more than a year away.

I have seen articles saying that the 2017 was "all new" but have not been able to find out what is new about it. However, if the articles that I can find on the 7x engine are true it is going to be a heck of an engine and might be out soon.

Maybe look at the pictures in the articles then. 2017 is the first major revamp of the Super duties since uhhhh 1999.

My apologies, I was responding to the "they must have made some internal changes to the 6.2L for 2017" part and meant to say that I read somewhere that the 6.2 engine was all new for 2017. You are correct, the rest of it is pretty obvious.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Groover wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
According to this article, they must have made some internal changes to the 6.2L for 2017, because the torque has increased from 405 lb-ft @ 4,500 rpm to 430 lb-ft @ 3,800 rpm

In the past, the rumor was the 6.2L was not offer in Super Duty because of potential overheating issues. They must have fixed that.

Actually, the big win of newer Super Duty pickups over older ones in the 6R140 transmission. SOLID !

The other interesting rumor is that Ford is working on a 8/9/10 speed transmission for Super Duty and Medium Duty (as motor home) trucks. Probably more than a year away.

I have seen articles saying that the 2017 was "all new" but have not been able to find out what is new about it. However, if the articles that I can find on the 7x engine are true it is going to be a heck of an engine and might be out soon.

Maybe look at the pictures in the articles then. 2017 is the first major revamp of the Super duties since uhhhh 1999.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry, those Are my thoughts exactly.

If i would ever trade in the future it would have to be an F 350 SRW gasser. :h

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
More suited, as in lighter duty? I can see where the 6.7 diesel torque may require a more heavy duty transmission. IMO, if the light duty version will not stand up in the 350 gas, I sure wouldn't want it in the 250 gas either. Glad my 250 has the HD version!

Jerry

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
This is true. 6R100 in the F250 and 6R140 in the F350. If you are getting the 6.2, the 6R100 might be more suited to it.

Interesting. Why would the 6R100 be better or more suited?

acadianbob
Explorer
Explorer
camperfamily wrote:
My understanding is that the 250 trans is different than the 350 in the gasser. Can anyone confirm that to get the same heavy trans that is behind the diesel with the 6.2 you need to step up to the 350?

This is true. 6R100 in the F250 and 6R140 in the F350. If you are getting the 6.2, the 6R100 might be more suited to it.
Bob & Wendy; Spanky & Piper the Fox Terriers
2012 Race Red FX4 Ecoboost, Max Tow, Luxury Pkg
Surveyor 235RKS
Reese Dual Cam

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is that the 250 trans is different than the 350 in the gasser. Can anyone confirm that to get the same heavy trans that is behind the diesel with the 6.2 you need to step up to the 350?
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

dantravelman
Explorer
Explorer
acadianbob wrote:
dantravelman wrote:
I have to say the 2017 6.2 and 4.30 is definitely worth it.

I originally had a F150 Ecoboost to pull our trailer, 9,000 lbs and it did the job but I worried about the payload. So as we have decided that a 5ver will be the next upgrade I decided to do the truck now. I had to order the 2017 but the 8 weeks went quick and I knew I was getting the truck I wanted. This 6.3 with the 4.30 handles great when towing and pulls the trailer with out an issue. I average about 9.1 mpg when towing and about 13 city as my daily driver.

I don't think you will have any disappoint in going with the 6.2 and 4.30.

You are making me feel better. Just in the process (2018 on order) of replacing my F150 Ecoboost with a F250 6.2 with 4.30's. Looking for increased stability but have been concerned about the torque curve of the 6.2. The Ecoboost is a GREAT towing engine.

Yes the Ecoboost is great but now that I have the 350 I feel more comfortable towing and not having to worry about payload. I think the 6.2 is doing a great job, and considering I am getting the same tow mileage with it I am not complaining.
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
2017 F350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 SB 6.2 w/ 4.3

2011 Ford F150 Screw 4x4 EcoBoost Max Tow
Equalizer WD

dantravelman
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch Oven Man wrote:
Thanks everyone for the responses.

For those of you that have this set up, how does the grade shifting suite your needs? I have no grade shifting with my 2002, so I assume these new set-ups are a vast improvement?

Also, for dantravelman, I noticed the F350 gasser gets a different tranny than the F250. I was told the F250 tranny was tuned for the 6.2, but I suppose the F350 tranny is equally impressive?

I am very happy with the way the truck handles and the shifting seems smooth too. Some have said it shift from5 to 6 quick but I haven't noticed that.
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS

Equalizer WD

acadianbob
Explorer
Explorer
dantravelman wrote:

I originally had a F150 Ecoboost to pull our trailer, 9,000 lbs and it did the job but I worried about the payload. So as we have decided that a 5ver will be the next upgrade I decided to do the truck now. I had to order the 2017 but the 8 weeks went quick and I knew I was getting the truck I wanted. This 6.3 with the 4.30 handles great when towing and pulls the trailer with out an issue. I average about 9.1 mpg when towing and about 13 city as my daily driver.

You are making me feel better. Just in the process (2018 on order) of replacing my F150 Ecoboost with a F250 6.2 with 4.30's. Looking for increased stability but have been concerned about the torque curve of the 6.2. The Ecoboost is a GREAT towing engine.
Bob & Wendy; Spanky & Piper the Fox Terriers
2012 Race Red FX4 Ecoboost, Max Tow, Luxury Pkg
Surveyor 235RKS
Reese Dual Cam

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
With the weight you're pulling my vote would go for the 4:30 gears also. My FW grosses out at 10,000 but not sure what actual weight is and my 3:73 gears do a good job but I bet the 4:30's would do better.

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the responses.

For those of you that have this set up, how does the grade shifting suite your needs? I have no grade shifting with my 2002, so I assume these new set-ups are a vast improvement?

Also, for dantravelman, I noticed the F350 gasser gets a different tranny than the F250. I was told the F250 tranny was tuned for the 6.2, but I suppose the F350 tranny is equally impressive?

dantravelman
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS

Equalizer WD