cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since I saw the cherry wood smoking thread..........

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I want to toss a challenge out to you turkey smokers/bbq-ers. For years people have struggled with getting the leg/thigh meat suitably up to temp without over cooking the breasts. I have found a way to make them cook perfectly evenly. I remove the entire carcass with an exceedingly sharp boning knife. I make one slit down the back and carefully run the knife against the carcass all the way around the bird. I remove the thigh and wing at the socket on the carcass and leave it attached to the skin. Sometimes I remove the thigh bone from the leg, sometimes not. When the carcass is out, I take cotton string and a giant needle and sew up the skin that I made the firs cut down the back and drop it in brine overnight. On cooking day I get some help and fill the bird with stuffing from three full loaves of french bread and reshape the bird and put it in the Q. It will the most moist bird you'll ever eat. For you nay-sayers......it takes me less than 30 minutes to bone it, sew it up and drop it in the brine. I used to have some pic's of this...........if I still do, I'll post them.........Remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
6 REPLIES 6

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
dons2346,
If you are worried about bacteria growth, when was the last time you pushed a Wal Mart cart. They done a test and swabbed a Walmart cart handle and then swabbed a Wall Mart commode seat. The commode seat had 300 times less bacteria growth than the cart handle. Now think about and go wash your hands. FACT look it up. Now what is worst, Eating yard bird or shopping?
Happy shopping

When was the last time I pushed a WallyMart cart?. Probably 5 years ago,same for the DW. The reason is just what Bob Nestor stated

Just do some reading about stuffing a bird. Sure are those that say it is ok and those that say not. It is not as safe as you think and I would rather error on the safe side

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Alternate solution is to simply brine your turkey or chicken. I never seem to have trouble getting the bird done evenly.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dennis12 wrote:
dons2346,
If you are worried about bacteria growth, when was the last time you pushed a Wal Mart cart. They done a test and swabbed a Walmart cart handle and then swabbed a Wall Mart commode seat. The commode seat had 300 times less bacteria growth than the cart handle. Now think about and go wash your hands. FACT look it up. Now what is worst, Eating yard bird or shopping?
Happy shopping

I've often seen people take their non-service dogs with them into Walmart grocery stores and plop the furry little beasts butt side down in a grocery cart and roll around thru the bread, meat, veggies and can goods. Complaining to management that they're in violation of the health codes just gets a blank state or a comment of "we don't want to upset our customers by brining this to their attention." Excuse me! I'm upset and I WAS a customer until then.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346,
Happy shopping
Dennis Hoppert

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
dons2346 wrote:
You were doing fine until you stuffed the carcass with stuffing.Stuffing in the bird is the worst thing you can do as far as bacteria growth is concerned

I've read all the print regarding bacteria and stuffing a bird. If your stuffing is mixed, seasoned and tasted tested then refrigerated. Then stuffed into a cold bird, then toss it on the Q you're good. We've stuffed birds as long as I can recall all the way back to my grandparents day and never had an issue. I think most of the issues that occurred is when you stuff the bird the night before and put it in the fridge overnight then put it in the oven/cooker. The air tight cavity has the right temp and lack of air to start bacteria growth. I would say trying to bone out the turkey and not stuffing it would be pretty tough to maintain anything that looks like a bird!
Bottom line is........work within your comfort range.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
You were doing fine until you stuffed the carcass with stuffing.Stuffing in the bird is the worst thing you can do as far as bacteria growth is concerned