cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1999 Southwind 36Z Power Gear Motor will not turn off

Vern_S
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1999 Southwind 36Z that I am bringing back to life after several years on non-use. Many things did not work when I got it including the Hydraulic Leveling System. I discovered that a solenoid was missing from the Battery Control Center (BCC) and I installed a new one. Then many system came back to life including the leveling system but with one oddity.

When I turn the ignition to ACC to apply power to the Hydraulic system the Hydraulic motor immediately starts and you can hear the relief valve squealing. When I press the on button on the manual leveler control panel(Power Gear 500210) and lower the jacks the squeal goes away and operating the jacks appears to be normal. Once I am done leveling and turn the panel off the hydraulic motor continues to run and the relief valve squeal commences so I immediately turn the ignition to off.

I repeat the process quickly to raise the jacks which is working as expected. In order to drive somewhere I open the BCC panel and pull the leveling jack fuse prior to starting the RV and heading down the road. Once I park and want to use the jacks I reinsert the fuse and lower the jacks.

Any ideas on what is causing the motor to run continuously when power to the system is present? I did have to replace the starter solenoid as well but don't think that is the issue but could be wrong.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Vern_S
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, So I checked the motor solenoid and it's seems to work properly. I disconnected the control voltage wire (blue) from the solenoid and turned the ignition to ACC. There was control voltage on the wire. I disconnected the wire harness from the control panel and checked the blue connector there and also had control voltage. This is without the control panel being turned on. Looks like something is amiss with the control panel. A circuit shorted more then likely.

So... What now? This control panel is hard to find and ridiculously priced (>$700) but is also obsolete. The replacement is an entirely new wiring harness and panel and over $500.

I guess I can continue the fuse pull routine, or splice in a push button on the blue control wire at the panel and hold it in while operating the jacks... I think the later would be better on the hydraulic pump.

Vern_S
Explorer
Explorer
NutHouse2016 wrote:
Solenoid may be shorted closed due to corrosion. My 34v bounder did that and I replaced all solenoid, one at a time. Just my experience.

Where are the solenoids/relays? Control panel?

Edit: I see a solenoid next to the hydraulic motor. I guess I should start there?

Vern_S
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Sounds like a stuck/shorted relay

In this situation the words solenoid and relay both refer, to the pump power relay

Is the relay part of the control panel?

Edit: I see a solenoid next to the hydraulic motor. I guess I should start there?

MrWizard
Sounds like a stuck/shorted relay

In this situation the words solenoid and relay both refer, to the pump power relay
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

NutHouse2016
Explorer
Explorer
Solenoid may be shorted closed due to corrosion. My 34v bounder did that and I replaced all solenoid, one at a time. Just my experience.