cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for advise on my next camper purchase.

Aric775
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I'm looking to get a new RV (travel trailer). After some extensive internet researching, here is my "short list":

Wildwood Heritage Glen 312qbud
Salem Hemisphere 312qbud
Heartland North Trail 33bkss
Heartland Mallard M33
Prime Time LaCrosse 339bhd

I REALLY like the LaCrosse, but the model is "dealer stock only" and I can find NO dealer within a 250 mile radius of me that has one in stock. The Heritage Glen and the Hemisphere appear to be the IDENTICAL camper with only minor/cosmetic differences. The North Trail and the Mallard appear to be the IDENTICAL camper with only minor/cosmetic differences. I would entertain adding a different model to my short list...but I've done quite a bit of research and have found NO other models that have everything we are looking for in the price range we are looking to spend ($25k to $35k before trade). Looking for new (2018 or 2017).

A few of our "must haves":
Under 37' length
2 entrance doors (preference for 2nd door directly into bathroom)
Outside kitchen (full size, not a mini or pull-out)
Bunkhouse with one bunk above outside kit and one bunk over couch

My tow vehicle is a 2012 Chevy 2500hd, so not really concerned about weight. I would appreciate any thoughts that anyone has. Anyone have one of these models and love it or hate it? What else should I take into consideration when making my decision? Thanks for any insight!
9 REPLIES 9

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I have to echo those who said to evaluate the trailer with the slides in. Last year, about this time, a desert windstorm broke my slide. With some help and a lot of swearing, I got it retracted. It wasn't coming back out until I got the rig to the shop. But home was 14 hours away, and I needed to get going because the first (of many) winter storms was coming.

Bed, bathroom, and fridge were accessible with a little squeeze. It worked fine for the one night I spent on the road. I made a sandwich for dinner, washed it down with a beer, and slept just fine. If it had been longer than just one night, i would have been able to cook, also.

Those scenarios aren't all that likely. But they do happen. And when they happen, it's nice to still be able to function inside your trailer - even if the space is tight.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
Counter space is HUGE. I had a TT without a lot of counter space and it's territble. We traded it for one with an island and I'd rather have the counter space and have to extend the slides a bit to get into the fridge or bunk, versus having no counter space. Remember, a push of the button will extend those slides just enough to stock/unstock what you need to.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
Counter space is HUGE. I had a TT without a lot of counter space and it's territble. We traded it for one with an island and I'd rather have the counter space and have to extend the slides a bit to get into the fridge or bunk, versus having no counter space. Remember, a push of the button will extend those slides just enough to stock/unstock what you need to.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

Aric775
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses so far. I had considered the access to the bathroom with slides in, as I have heard that many units will not allow for access to the bathroom with the slides in. All the models I am considering have a second door that goes straight to the bathroom...so access to the bathroom with slides in is not an issue. Had not thought about access to the kitchen. I can see that being a potential issue with the two models that have a kitchen slide with an island. I don't think loosing access to stove/oven/sink would be that big of a deal (all models have outside kitchen)...but not having access to the main kitchen fridge could be an issue. Especially when loading and unloading the camper for outings.

Yes, definitely a good idea to revisit campers with slides both in and out.

Thanks for any additional input I can get.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Access to the TT with the slide in is a must for us. We stop for lunch, potty breaks, and occasionally a stop and go overnight campsite, where we do not even unhitch.

As suggested be sure to evaluate the camper with the side in and slide out before you decide what you need for your camping style.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are some on these forums who say its no problem extending slides when traveling to access the bathroom or kitchen area, but if you don't have to, why?

Now that you've narrowed down your selection, go back again and examine each one with slides IN. Can you function in the camper with slides IN? Do you have access to all the cabinets, or at least most of them without having to extract the slides?

You will find yourself using the camper with slides IN, unless you are parked permanently in one spot and never move. Evidently you have kids, or you would not want the bunks. Can they reach their beds, can you reach your bed? Can you access the refrigerator, stove, other appliances without extracting the slides?

If you plan on camping in extreme heat, one way to cool the camper down faster is to retract the slides until the air conditioner can catch up. During this time, (or if the heat just gets too hot and the air can't keep up), can you and all your family function in the camper with slides IN?

Seriously, go back to each RV candidate and re-explore this question. You may find none of these work very well.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Sit in each one and try to visualize how they would work for your anticipated camping lifestyle. One of my `musts' is to be able to use the head and galley during a highway rest stop without putting out any slides.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If I wanted to buy a specific TT, 250++ miles away wouldnโ€™t stop me. Heck, camp all the way home.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
With that Hartland Mallard M33, you won't be able to access the kitchen area (stove and refrigerator) when the slides are in. Also, looks like that door in the bunkhouse won't open if the slides are in also.

I'd eliminate this one for these reasons immediately!