Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY portable battery cart ideas wanted.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I am tired of lugging my TT batteries to my backyard shed to keep them charged up while my trailer is in storage. I want to build the coolest portable battery charging station/cart I can.
The exterior frame will probably be plywood with wheels underneath. I want to mount two group 24 batteries (probably inside of plastic battery boxes) in this cart. The top part of the cart will be dedicated to the smart chargers and a power strip. When the trailer is in storage the cart will be inside the shed keeping the batteries charged up. When it comes time to install the batteries I can wheel the cart out to the trailer and transfer the batteries to the trailer.
I am not seeing any good videos or plans for such a cart on the internets. Anybody got any good plans or ideas how I can build one? I can do woodwork and general mechanical stuff but I don't have a welder.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel
19 REPLIES 19

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
My neighbor stripped an old gas bbq and put down some plywood where the bbq used to sit. It might be too large for your space, but most of the parts can be found for free.

Picture is not his

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:

When my fiver is in the storage lot, I flip the cutoff switch from the batteries to the rv and the 120 watt panel on the roof keeps them charged up all the time.

I did that until October when I got tired of clearing snow of the panel.

Well after I winterize it, I bring the batteries home and put it on the tender. Still I only need to remove them once a year

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I like your thinking on this. I already have a hand truck. Just need to box the batteries and charger up in such a way that the hand truck can move the whole shebang. Don't need to buy wheels to put under it. Good idea.

Yup, wheels and axles are a big part of cost. If you want something easy to store, make shelves that fold when not in use.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Dave5143 wrote:
Well, these are good suggestions. I'd really rather not leave the batteries with the trailer in storage. I am a bit concerned about the possibility of theft of batteries plus I want to keep them on the battery tenders to keep them charged up and de-sulfated.
I like the idea of using a garden cart but I don't have enough room in the shed for something that long. I was thinking something more vertical that would not take up much floor space.
To tell the truth, I would really like to build something custom-made for the fun of it as well as being practical. I have seen plans for building portable shop carts that I could adapt for this application.
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Which IS the reason I showed a pix of this..

I guess I should have elaborated a bit..

You can buy a heavy duty plastic box that you can fit your batteries in.

I used a Rubbermaid "Action Packer" storage box to hold my two 6V GC batts in my trailer storage compartment which looks like this..

That box is strong enough that it can be picked up with both 6V batts inside and not bend or break (that is about 130 lbs).

Then you can take some 2x2 or 2x4 to put UNDER the box at the sides (optionally screw the 2x2 or 2x4 to bottom of the box).

The 2x2 or 2x4 allows enough space to push the hand truck under the box.

Then you tilt the hand truck back towards you to pick up the box..

Then you can wheel the batteries around to your hearts content..

When storing in your garage you can tuck that box under a work bench or anywhere that works and you can keep the lid on if you like..

If you want to you could bolt a battery maintainer to the side of the box..

Then the hand truck can also be used for other projects around the house making heavy objects easy to move.. So you get double duty out if it.

Cost, Hand trucks can be had for $30 and the action packer starts around $40 and depending on size a little more.

I like your thinking on this. I already have a hand truck. Just need to box the batteries and charger up in such a way that the hand truck can move the whole shebang. Don't need to buy wheels to put under it. Good idea.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK

DKY
Explorer
Explorer
Take a old push lawn mower , remove the engine and blade then you have a 4 wheel cart platform with a push-pull handle

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
When my fiver is in the storage lot, I flip the cutoff switch from the batteries to the rv and the 120 watt panel on the roof keeps them charged up all the time.

I did that until October when I got tired of clearing snow of the panel.

If I were the OP, I would use those woodworking skills to make a two-shelf stand that the two wheel hand cart can pick up with 2 batteries loaded.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave5143 wrote:
Well, these are good suggestions. I'd really rather not leave the batteries with the trailer in storage. I am a bit concerned about the possibility of theft of batteries plus I want to keep them on the battery tenders to keep them charged up and de-sulfated.
I like the idea of using a garden cart but I don't have enough room in the shed for something that long. I was thinking something more vertical that would not take up much floor space.
To tell the truth, I would really like to build something custom-made for the fun of it as well as being practical. I have seen plans for building portable shop carts that I could adapt for this application.

Which IS the reason I showed a pix of this..

I guess I should have elaborated a bit..

You can buy a heavy duty plastic box that you can fit your batteries in.

I used a Rubbermaid "Action Packer" storage box to hold my two 6V GC batts in my trailer storage compartment which looks like this..

That box is strong enough that it can be picked up with both 6V batts inside and not bend or break (that is about 130 lbs).

Then you can take some 2x2 or 2x4 to put UNDER the box at the sides (optionally screw the 2x2 or 2x4 to bottom of the box).

The 2x2 or 2x4 allows enough space to push the hand truck under the box.

Then you tilt the hand truck back towards you to pick up the box..

Then you can wheel the batteries around to your hearts content..

When storing in your garage you can tuck that box under a work bench or anywhere that works and you can keep the lid on if you like..

If you want to you could bolt a battery maintainer to the side of the box..

Then the hand truck can also be used for other projects around the house making heavy objects easy to move.. So you get double duty out if it.

Cost, Hand trucks can be had for $30 and the action packer starts around $40 and depending on size a little more.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
A friend gave me an old pressure washer, I took the frame and made a battery carrier / charger out of it. Works good for me.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK

westend
Explorer
Explorer
By the time you buy all the parts and assemble everything, the garden wagon linked to above, will be about the same price and is built to carry heavy loads.

I'm with others on eliminating the need to remove batteries and schlep them around. There are more than a few ways to get by doing this. If theft is your main consideration, then using a well built cart like the garden wagon is probably your best solution.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would purchase a Battery Tender (I already have two of them), put it in a protected place to keep water off of it, and then run the leads to the battery and forget about it other than to check the fluid level once in a while.
No need to remove the batteries unless they are too far away from an electrical outlet to run an extension cord.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why keep it on a charger at all. With no load a fully charged battery will stay charged for a couple months. So just top it off once in a while and it will be fine.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
something like this battery cart