cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New england camping in april

Scottgilbert60
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for suggestion on camping destination in New england with full hook ups last weekend in april
13 REPLIES 13

me_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, a favorite campground of ours is Danforth Bay in Freedom,NH, open all year round.
2005 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab
6.0L,4:10
2011 Coachman Freedom Express 296REDS

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
April will be nasty anywhere in New England. Very likely still some snow or will be damp and in 40's.. Nothing is open from a sightseeing standpoint! Most of New England does not open until AFTER June 1. If you want to go camping in April, I would highly recommend heading south to at least Va or further down into the Carolinas where it will be Spring. April is NOT Spring in New England. I know-- I am from Maine and lived in Maine, Vermont and New York state for years1

We only lived in MA for 4 years, so my sample is limited, but we started camping in April every year and never found what you are describing. In southern MA, average highs range from 53-62 with average lows ranging from 32-41 (depending on when in the month you go). It's not warm, and you certainly could catch a cold snap, but it was always our experience that things were well thawed and comfortable for camping by the 2nd to 3rd week of April.

And, as for touring, Boston, Cape Cod, Plymouth...those are all open year-round and will be alive with activity in April.

We went to Normandy Farms every year for School vacation in April for about 10 years and it was typically very nice. It can be 70 or 45, but you take what you get. Normandy is very crowded during school vacation weeks, so plan accordingly. Late April might be perfect.
2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
April will be nasty anywhere in New England. Very likely still some snow or will be damp and in 40's.. Nothing is open from a sightseeing standpoint! Most of New England does not open until AFTER June 1. If you want to go camping in April, I would highly recommend heading south to at least Va or further down into the Carolinas where it will be Spring. April is NOT Spring in New England. I know-- I am from Maine and lived in Maine, Vermont and New York state for years1

We only lived in MA for 4 years, so my sample is limited, but we started camping in April every year and never found what you are describing. In southern MA, average highs range from 53-62 with average lows ranging from 32-41 (depending on when in the month you go). It's not warm, and you certainly could catch a cold snap, but it was always our experience that things were well thawed and comfortable for camping by the 2nd to 3rd week of April.

And, as for touring, Boston, Cape Cod, Plymouth...those are all open year-round and will be alive with activity in April.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will probably still be mud season in NH. Many of the cabin and CG owners take vacation at that time and don't re-open till mid May . Any place you plan to visit...CALL FIRST .
Hancock Campground on the Kancamagus Hwy (rt 112 near Lincoln) is plowed all yr for CG use. Pit toilets are avl.
No elec or sewer hookups but they have solar water spigots. I'm not sure if the water spigots are frost proof or not. I would call the Saco Rangers station 603 447 5448. Ask where you can fill your water tank.
Anytime I camp in parks with no/limited water, i ask local shops or restaurants that i frequent , to allow me to fill my water tank from their outside spigot. Most all the businesses comply as long as their water is on and I just did business with them.

Another place that was always open all year was Danforth Bay CG .

Apple Hill , open all year.

Monadnock S.P. is open for camping all year but they have a no pet policy, if that matters to you.

NH CG's open all year. As I said, CALL FIRST to verify, economics plays an important roll for winter campgrounds staying open.
http://www.snowbirdrvtrails.com/offseason.htm

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
April will be nasty anywhere in New England. Very likely still some snow or will be damp and in 40's.. Nothing is open from a sightseeing standpoint! Most of New England does not open until AFTER June 1. If you want to go camping in April, I would highly recommend heading south to at least Va or further down into the Carolinas where it will be Spring. April is NOT Spring in New England. I know-- I am from Maine and lived in Maine, Vermont and New York state for years!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Scottgilbert60 wrote:
Recommendations on somewhere in southern new England that will have full hook ups in late

Then I echo the earlier recommendation of Normandy Farms in Foxboro, MA.

Scottgilbert60
Explorer
Explorer
Late april

Scottgilbert60
Explorer
Explorer
Recommendations on somewhere in southern new England that will have full hook ups in late

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you trying to go? New England is a big place. If you are looking for Eastern MA, I would second the recommendation of Normandy Farms. We used to live out there and did many spring weekends at NF. Indoor pools, nice facilities, and relatively quiet at that time of year. It's great for day trips to Boston/Providence/Plymouth, etc...

I'm not sure I'd be apt to go much further north until late April or May.

skipro
Explorer
Explorer
Some more info would be helpful. Are you looking for mountains, seashore, cities, etc?

Paul127
Explorer
Explorer
Normandy Farms is no longer open year round.
Paul127

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Meredith Woods is open all year round. If you want to see Boston, so is Normandy Farms in Foxboro.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

MtView
Explorer
Explorer
This doesn't answer your question....

I'm not sure how familiar you are with New England weather, but it's a crapshoot that time of year. We are not necessarily out of the woods for some nasty winter like weather, but it typically doesn't stay on the ground long.