cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heavy Duty / Super Duty Truck as Daily Driver

MtView
Explorer
Explorer
Soooo I find myself needing a new vehicle unexpectedly. I want to be able to tow the current TT which is about 22' and has a dry weight of 3300 lbs as well as the next larger TT I'm likely to get. I was using a 4WD Honda Pilot.

As the kids get older we will all want more room so it would probably be a 30' - 35' pull behind. Based on payload calculations for the larger TT, I'm finding myself needing a Silverado 2500 and it would also have to be my daily driver.

I don't see a way around getting into a Super Duty or Heavy Duty truck. Is that nuts to use it as a daily driver? I would prefer a light truck, but I wouldn't be able to get a new truck and a new TT at the same time so this is my opportunity to get the truck.

Thanks!
98 REPLIES 98

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
This threads gone to ****.

When I make that judgement, I move on. Why waste my time complaining.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
This threads gone to ****.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
You can use any component rating you like to calculate payload.

Correct. Just don't exceed the trucks steer or drive axle/tire load ratings.

I see that you are now including tires along with axle ratings. Anything else that comes into play? Frame strength? Brakes? Horsepower? None of these make up the total capacity? Only axles and tires? Right.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
You can use any component rating you like to calculate payload.

Correct. Just don't exceed the trucks steer or drive axle/tire load ratings.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I believe they are trying to compensate for the weak link behind the steering wheel. REALLY.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

Its no surprise to me that Ford is saying the sum of the axle ratings can sum to a number EQUAL TO or GREATER than gvwr.

Fords telling us all the trucks components you mention will have no problems handling the sum the fawr and rawr.

That does not mean that the vehicle is rated to haul more than the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. There is always a weak link somewhere. It might be the rear axle or a hundred other components. If the sum of axle rating is the only factor, explain why my last two F-150's had 600 pound different payload ratings even though the only difference was the engine? You can use any component rating you like to calculate payload. I uses Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, As does Ford and other manufacturers. I do not know more than they do.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, I'll say it again. I didn't read the 6 pages of stuff that came after I said it the first time. Keep you nice new truck,, nice,, for when you need it and buy a used car to get to work, the grocery store, etc. Leave the car set on the street .

Keep your nice new pickup in the garage.

If the car breaks down, drive the truck temporarily, evaluate the car, if it can be fixed do it. If not junk it and buy another used car.

If you do the research!! and shop carefully!! you can buy a used car that should be reliable for years and it won't cost you much at all !!!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

Like Ford tell us.......Front and rear GAWRs will, in all cases, sum to a number equal to or greater than the GVWR for the particular vehicle.

I have no idea what a front gawr or rear gawr is. I do know what fawr and rawr are.

I totally agree that the sum of the axle ratings exceeds the "Gross" vehicle rating. No surprise there. Nice to have good axle ratings but even better to have "Gross" vehicle weight ratings. Looking only at axle ratings is like looking only at any other component on the vehicle. Does simply increasing tire size result in a payload increase? Then put great big tires on that Ranger.

Its no surprise to me that Ford is saying the sum of the axle ratings can sum to a number EQUAL TO or GREATER than gvwr.

Fords telling us all the trucks components you mention will have no problems handling the sum the fawr and rawr.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

Like Ford tell us.......Front and rear GAWRs will, in all cases, sum to a number equal to or greater than the GVWR for the particular vehicle.

I have no idea what a front gawr or rear gawr is. I do know what fawr and rawr are.

I totally agree that the sum of the axle ratings exceeds the "Gross" vehicle rating. No surprise there. Nice to have good axle ratings but even better to have "Gross" vehicle weight ratings. Looking only at axle ratings is like looking only at any other component on the vehicle. Does simply increasing tire size result in a payload increase? Then put great big tires on that Ranger.

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
It odd how a Heavy Duty / Super Duty Truck as Daily Driver tread turns into a rv weight cop thread.

Probably my bad for leading it astray, sorry.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I wondered where the axle weight guys were. By that logic, you could sling a dually rear axle under a Ranger and say that it was good to go with a two thousand pound tongue weight? You can pretend that the only thing that matters is axle ratings, but you might also want to look at frames, brakes, engine, suspension, and tires to name a few things that make up a total vehicle. Or not, if you don't want to.

Huge exaggeration......just use what ever RAWR the truck makers gives us.
A trucks axle, brakes,suspension and tires come under the trucks GAWRs.

The engine more so under a GCWR number ie; tow rating.

GVWR or the yellow payload sticker or a GVWR based payload figure doesn't determine how much load a truck can safely/legally carry in the bed.

It odd how a Heavy Duty / Super Duty Truck as Daily Driver tread turns into a rv weight cop thread.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I wondered where the axle weight guys were. By that logic, you could sling a dually rear axle under a Ranger and say that it was good to go with a two thousand pound tongue weight? You can pretend that the only thing that matters is axle ratings, but you might also want to look at frames, brakes, engine, suspension, and tires to name a few things that make up a total vehicle. Or not, if you don't want to.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My truck only has a couple hundred pounds more payload than that, and it's not gonna slow me down from hooking up a 7000 lb trailer, even after I load a generator, bicycles, etc. I will still be miles from my GAWR, and I know how to manage tire pressure, etc. My old '97 F150 only had 200 lbs of payload left before I hooked up the trailer. And that was before I started loading two ATVs in the back. It was a rock solid towing platform and is still driven today.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
. Do you seriously think that a tow vehicle with 1,200 pounds of factory payload is adequate to tow a 7k TT?
7,000 lbs TT = 840 bls tongue weight + 175 lbs driver +150 lbs wife + 35 lbs firewood = Done!
And if you want to be really bold you can hide a snickers bar in your pocket for a little snicky snack on the way.

Boy, that's not much firewood! Just enough for one beer.