cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our first Trailer! 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB

gordinho80
Explorer
Explorer
Well... we did it! We bought a camper! 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB. Unit is in really good shape for the year. Previous owner had RV shop inspect the roof and was told that the roof is fine. Tires are 2 years old and have no rot or flat spots. Brakes are also 2 years old. Everything in the camper works fine except for the fridge. PO got a quote from the shop, all it needs is a control board. Wife and I will be making this our own slowly. Right now, just going to make sure all things are good for a winter storage, not expecting to take any trips this winter.

Mario
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Big Horn 5.7L Hemi (My first Dodge)
2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB (Our first camper) - https://www.instagram.com/martin_the_camper/
9 REPLIES 9

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Wow you got a project!! Looking great though. Keep up the good work,you'll end up with a great trailer when you are done! Bill

gordinho80
Explorer
Explorer
We had a couple of weeks of solid weather and I had a week off from work so I decided to tackle the roof. It was a daunting task but I managed to get it done by myself. The ply up there was VERY flimsy, so I decided to up the size to 1/2" fir ply while also upgrading the insulation several R values.

I have the ply cut for the vents and the AC, but not the rubber yet. I ordered new vents and am waiting for those to come in before I put those and the AC back up there.

The new ply is MUCH more stable and I'm not worried about putting my foot through the roof any longer.
Mario
2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB (Our first camper) - https://www.instagram.com/martin_the_camper/

gordinho80
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! Haven't posted in a while so figured its high time I did. Wife and I started an Instagram for our trailer, https://www.instagram.com/martin_the_camper/

We initially wanted to just update a couple of things to make it more personal, but that very quickly turned into a complete renovation. I went to inspect the roof again and noticed a soft spot in the back right corner. So the roof is getting redone. Roof kit scheduled to arrive today and I'll be picking up new plywood for the whole roof. This way, I get to remove the TV antenna and the fridge roof vent as neither will be used, less holes in the roof is good!

Ripped out the dinette to make way for a table and 4 folding chairs. Removed the sleeper sofa and also took out the cabinets above the dinette and sofa. Redoing the kitchen cabinets from scratch and putting a new butcher block counter top. Painting the overhead kitchen cabinets and the bedroom cabinets. Ripped out the half wall when you first get in the camper. Possibly relocating it to the other side next to sofa. Ripped up the peel and stick vinyl planks and the linoleum that was underneath it. Some water spots under the left side storage area, nothing major just discolored.

Bath on the other hand was worse. Ripped out the entire bathroom and have to replace the rear 2' of subfloor back there. I attribute this to the leak in the rear roof mentioned above. Also, a section of the exterior wall where the awning support mounts was damaged looks like it was not sealed properly.

All in all, the camper is still in great shape and well worth what we paid for it. I like that the frame is all aluminum.

Lots of work left to do but its going to be a labor of love. Feel free to follow along on Instagram. I'll be posting here as well for insight and feedback from the experienced members here.

This is pretty much how he looks as it stands...

Mario

gordinho80
Explorer
Explorer
Wife is already planning upgrades, and removal of the dinette is on her list. The couch will also be upgraded as well. I also plan on updating the lighting throughout. CPVC piping sounds nice, I'll put that on the long list. Also considering the electric ceramic heaters too. Regarding the handling, as you said, nothing to really compare it too, but it handled well for me, pulling it with a 2001 F150 and a WDH that came with the rig (SCORE!).
Mario

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
gordinho80 wrote:
Thanks... PO said that the person who had it before him, his Aunt-In-Law (Original Owner) had ran 60lb tanks. He also mentioned that he had flipped the suspension due to how low it was. And yes, the mount swivels.
have considered flipping the axles but was undecided. I was going to ask how it handles, but you would have nothing to compare it with. I have done a lot of modifications on mine, and then changed it back again. First I took out the dinette and couch to put a couple of recliners in, and for a table I bought a stock 4' counter top at Lowes and hinged it to the wall so we could raise and lower it as needed. Took the bunks out and made a nice walk in closet back there, then put the bottom bunk back in and put shelves across the back wall. Then took the bathroom wall out(by the bunks)and replaced the small wall studs with 2x4s turned sideways in order to fasten a 3 door medicine cabinet in the bath for DW. Replumbed it with cpvc. Then put the dinette and couch back in. Put one of those flat ceramic heaters on the wall beside the bed-may put another one on the other side of the bed next year. Always a fun project in the works. Gary
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

gordinho80
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks... PO said that the person who had it before him, his Aunt-In-Law (Original Owner) had ran 60lb tanks. He also mentioned that he had flipped the suspension due to how low it was. And yes, the mount swivels.
Mario

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same exact coachmen as you. Put the same laminate on the floor as yours. Have been thinking about putting a tv mount the same place as yours-I assume yours swivels. Mine has the original spindles that came from the factory and was a little concerned about taking them out, but after seeing yours I believe that will be a project for this winter. I'm wondering why the propane tanks are on the frame instead of the 30lb ones stock behind the covers? We've had ours for about 15 yrs-and have had a blast with it, you will too. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is so low to the ground, have to be really careful going over any type of rise in a driveway, it drags on the rear. But I've learned what to watch for, you will too. Gary
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking rig. It does not look 17 years old.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats and yes it looks great for a 17 year old camper. Seems you will have plenty of time to tinker so have fun. I’ve never had a tow behind, just motorhomes but there is always things to keep you busy.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT