cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bigger dog in an F250 Crew Cab?

rhetthughes
Explorer
Explorer
So this may seem like a silly question, but my wife and I are looking to upgrade to a F250 crew cab from a F150 Super Crew. We have a 55 lb goldendoodle and 2 kids, 10 and 6 years old. When looking at the 250s, we got the sense that there just isn't enough room in the back seat floor area for the dog, and the seats are really big enough either. But we see plenty of people camping with big dogs and trucks, so thought we'd see if anyone out there in the forum land has had experience with having kids and a bigger dog when going camping? If so, how does your dog travel? Thanks for the help!
13 REPLIES 13

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have both a F350 crew & a F250 extended. I have built padded platforms from the back seat to the counsel box and my 60lbs dog rides there.
The kids can set on either side and the platform separates, no mom he's touching me, dad she's in my space. If you have kids and travel you know what I mean. Thankfully mine are all grown with kids of their own.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Won't help you much but I use a 2x12 and 2x4 with a sheet of plywood in place of the back seat of my F-250. I put 2 dog beds on top of the plywood. I haul 2 full size Collies.

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know much about the Ford products, but I know GM has an extended cab and a Crew Cab. The crew cab is much larger.

Is that the same with the Ford?
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

rhetthughes
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
The 60/40 rear seat with the 40 being able to fold flat is the key. My Chevy has that, and we fold the 40% side down and it gives our golden enough room to sit. If she wants to laydown she puts her head in the kids lap. the kids get the middle and one side.

I recently looked at a Ram Tradesman, and learned that the seat is not split, this was a deal breaker for that truck. Once you move up a couple of thousand dollars, you get a split seat.

This is probably what we'll have to do. Just makes the kids a bit too crammed. Gonna miss the extra room in the 150 super crew cab, but will enjoy the extra weight and safety towing with the 250.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 60/40 rear seat with the 40 being able to fold flat is the key. My Chevy has that, and we fold the 40% side down and it gives our golden enough room to sit. If she wants to laydown she puts her head in the kids lap. the kids get the middle and one side.

I recently looked at a Ram Tradesman, and learned that the seat is not split, this was a deal breaker for that truck. Once you move up a couple of thousand dollars, you get a split seat.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not get the truck YOU want. Then get a bed topper for the dog to ride in the bed with the back window open for him to be petted and talked to. Unless you have a fifth wheel. You didn't mention what kind of rv you have. Our dogs liked riding in a covered truck bed and if they threw up, I just hosed it out.

Now we have a Class C mh and they ride under the dinette table.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I would have sworn that the F250 cab was every bit as big as the F150. I am surprised it isn't.

I do agree with the post about just putting them all in the back and they will figure it out.

If you really want more room, there is always a RAM Megacab.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about a F250 but our Chevy 2500 had a 33/66 split rear seat. The grandson (8yrs) was on the 33 percent single seat and the two 120lb shepards lay on a foam pad with the 66 percent seat folded up. Occasionally a hrumph was heard from one dog or the other but everyone was fine for up to 6 hr trips. We never tried for any longer than that.

With two kids and one dog I guess you would put the kids on the large seat and fold up the smaller seat for the dog.

The dogs mostly lay in a pile but would both sit up and look out the window if some smell caught their attention. The grandson would pet/scratch one or the other if they decided to sit up and a head or ear came within reach.

It was not ideal and the dogs had a lot more room without the grandson but it was doable and aside from some of the smells no one was uncomfortable. The grandson blamed the dogs but who knows.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

rhetthughes
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
I have a CC 2500 and I cannot imagine 2 children and a 55# furkid. Guess I would put all 3 in the back seat and let them figure it out. How do you handle it now?

I do have a part of my backseat fixed with a 5" piece of foam for my furkid and have it propped underneath with a tote box. But, I have no other children to fit in.

The back seat area of the Super Crew in the 150 is HUGE. So the way we do it now is the kids are on the left and right seats in the back, and we put a dog bed down on the floor in the middle. The dog just curls up in the bed and sleeps there while we drive. But the 250's floor space area seems to be about 6 inches less between the edge of the back seat and the back of the front seat and center console. So not sure he'd have enough room to curl up on the floor.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
When I am hauling nieces and nephews and the dogs (60# and 50#), they all figure it out in the back seat. One or both dogs usually ends up draped over the kids, and they ride like that for hours.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

rhetthughes
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Can’t help much, just wanted to say hey from a former Florence resident. Lived there from early sixties until 73. In laws still live there.

Cheers!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can’t help much, just wanted to say hey from a former Florence resident. Lived there from early sixties until 73. In laws still live there.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a CC 2500 and I cannot imagine 2 children and a 55# furkid. Guess I would put all 3 in the back seat and let them figure it out. How do you handle it now?

I do have a part of my backseat fixed with a 5" piece of foam for my furkid and have it propped underneath with a tote box. But, I have no other children to fit in.