cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing > 40ft - drw vs srw?

NCRugRat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a triple axle toy hauler with a top weight of 18k pounds. Four years ago I research the heck out of the type of tow vehicle to get and decided on a drw. I ended up with a 2009 F-450, but unfortunately someone decided to pull out in front of me last week and it totaled my truck. Now I’m in the market again and it’s just hard to find a good drw for a good price. I am still leaning towards a drw, but maybe it’s overkill. I notice a lot of people towing similar or larger campers with srw 350 or 3500s. My question is for those people - do you feel safe or wish you had gone with a drw? How about any sway? I do mostly flat towing with very little mountains. I appreciate any comments and it sucks to have to look for a new truck. My F-450 was solid.
2014 Forest River XLR 415AMP
2009 Ford F-450 Dually (on it’s way to the grave yard)
Looking for a new truck
2012 Club Car Precedent
63 REPLIES 63

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
slapshot12 wrote:
For me, 40' is where I'd be looking to go up to a DRW mainly for stability. Between personally and work, I've towed extensively with both SRW and DRW. When we were shopping for our Momentum, we went with a 349M which is 39' and 16500 max weight. Many of the larger triple axle floorpans weren't that much heavier and still within the weight limits of my '17 F-350 SRW, but hauling 42'-43' I'd want a DRW not only for additional CCC, but stability.

Guess I'm screwed then. Don't know how I hold it on the road. Lol

I never said there's anything wrong with it, that's just my personal preference. I see many people towing 42' trailers with SRW 350/3500's. Everyone can make their own choices.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I agree with the dually guys: More tires make a truck more stable. I also agree with the SRW crowd: the new SRW trucks are stable. You no longer have to tolerate the disadvantages of a dually unless you have more than 3000-3500 lbs of pin weight.
more tires give it the ability to carry more. The suspension gives it stability.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Wide track will do squat for sway if you have soft springs or stabilizer bar. Once you have sufficiently stiff suspension, then you start getting wheel lift at the vehicle limits - This is when a wider track will help you. Have you ever seen a built out 4wd with really wide track yet considerable body sway?
If the two trucks have the same suspension setup, then the dually will be more stable simply because it has a wider track.

If you ride around with the suspension bottomed out it will but in the real would if the suspension are identical they will have the same stability.
A wider track means more stability to me. Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Of course wider track means more stability. Transamz9 is anti-dually for some reason; I’ve had the same type of head slapping threads with him before......;)

I’m in the 4 rear tires for me category. I’ve had both and know which one handles better. And strangely enough, manufacturers put higher tow ratings on them; must be coincidental! 🙂

No, I'm not anti-dually. I drive one every day. My company truck is a Drw. They are needed when they are needed but unlike most I don't think they are the have to have for everything. Everyone always says it because there are two extra wheels is what makes them handle load better when all the two extra tires do is give it the carry more weight. The suspension is what handles the weight.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the dually guys: More tires make a truck more stable. I also agree with the SRW crowd: the new SRW trucks are stable. You no longer have to tolerate the disadvantages of a dually unless you have more than 3000-3500 lbs of pin weight.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Wide track will do squat for sway if you have soft springs or stabilizer bar. Once you have sufficiently stiff suspension, then you start getting wheel lift at the vehicle limits - This is when a wider track will help you. Have you ever seen a built out 4wd with really wide track yet considerable body sway?
If the two trucks have the same suspension setup, then the dually will be more stable simply because it has a wider track.

If you ride around with the suspension bottomed out it will but in the real would if the suspension are identical they will have the same stability.
A wider track means more stability to me. Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Of course wider track means more stability. Transamz9 is anti-dually for some reason; I’ve had the same type of head slapping threads with him before......;)

I’m in the 4 rear tires for me category. I’ve had both and know which one handles better. And strangely enough, manufacturers put higher tow ratings on them; must be coincidental! 🙂
Agreed. Stating that a SRW is just as stable as a DRW flies in the face of physics, common sense, and just makes one look silly.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

From a basic physics point of view, until the point of lifting the inside tire, wider stance means less force is needed at the tires to counteract the tipping force (force x distance).

In reality, the tires are a part of the suspension and aren't solid. A wider stance means a same strength tire sidewall resists tipping more than if it were on a narrower vehicle.

If you put solid steel tires on a narrower vehicle it would feel more stable (less wiggly) than a wider one on rubber tires if both have the same suspension however, when pushed too far the narrower one will roll first.

In theory an equally sprung SRW with stiffer sidewall tires could perform better than a DRW with softer sidewalls but that would take awfully stiff SRW tires and really squishy DRW tires.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
transamz9 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
slapshot12 wrote:
For me, 40' is where I'd be looking to go up to a DRW mainly for stability. Between personally and work, I've towed extensively with both SRW and DRW. When we were shopping for our Momentum, we went with a 349M which is 39' and 16500 max weight. Many of the larger triple axle floorpans weren't that much heavier and still within the weight limits of my '17 F-350 SRW, but hauling 42'-43' I'd want a DRW not only for additional CCC, but stability.

Guess I'm screwed then. Don't know how I hold it on the road. Lol

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, and all those cars with wider wheelbases didn't realize they just needed to firm up the suspension to make the car more stable. Who'd a thunk.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"