cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For those that tow 4 down

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're looking at a 2017 2 door Rubicon on a dealers lot. My question is what tow bar and braking system did you finally choose? There is one brand that suggests off road capabilities. Did you buy an entire package or combine different companies? Thanks in advance-
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body
12 REPLIES 12

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Might try reading various threads under the Dingy Towing section - lots of ideas/recommendations! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I swear I already replied to this one, but its not showing up.
I have the blue ox Aladdin tow bar and the blue ox base on my jeep liberty.

I also use the original brake buddy. It don't come on often, but when I brake hard I know its there and it comes on.

and the fox step works both hooked up, as well as when bar is in storage position on back of truck.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Blue Ox Alpha and Ready Brake on a lifted Samurai

Several things to conceder when setting yours up

Where do you want to have the tow bar remain when you un-hook and use the jeep , on the jeep , or on the hitch , of course you can go to the extra work of removing it all together from either also

What height will the attachment points on the jeep be in relation to the hitch , base plates are generally lower than bumper 'D Ring' connections and whatever the connection you should be 2" lower or higher than the hitch and may require a high-low adaptor

How many attachments are you going to have , hitch to high-low , ball shank , to tow bar , Or you can use 2" box connection and no ball . How far back will what you use move the toad and what length extension will you need

I wanted the least amount of connections , and to stow the bar at the back of the truck ,but that means its in the way of steps on a rear entry camper , I offset my steps

Different Strokes ....

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all that responded. I was torn between Blue Ox and Roadmaster and it seems about split with no complaints of the 2.
Chad, if I do purchase I would like to PM you as I work in Santa Rosa and live in west county. I am mechanically inclined however you can throw the rate book away with me. If it's a 3.8 hr project, it shifted to the weekend (both days).
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Paul_V1
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 97 Wrangler with Roadmaster brackets, Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar and a Even brake braking system with zero problems with many miles on the tow.
2001 GMC Crewcab Duramax 2500HD 4x4
2006 Outfitter Apex 9.5
1997 Jeep Wrangler

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Roadmaster/stowmaster..... Brake system by Ready Brake.... Towing 88 Samurai Tin Top...2200lbs.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Really like our Blue Ox tow bar. Can't recall the model name but it's pretty new and one of the more costly models ($900-$1000). Very easy and doesn't bind.
Jayco-noslide

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2015 JKU Saraha using a self installed Blue Ox baseplate.

Tow bar is a Blue Ox 10K Aventa

Lights are self installed Blue Ox wiring kit, not wired into the Jeep harness.

Braking/breakaway is done with a BB.

Charging line with regulator installed from house batteries.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

Chad_Heiser
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2015 Wrangler Rubicon 2 door. I use the Blue Ox Avail tow bar with Blue Ox adapters to go directly to my off road bumper (Smitty Bilt). I have an Invisibrake permanently installed in the Jeep for braking. It sits under the driver seat. I added an etrailer tail light kit that plugs directly into the factory wiring to use the factory lights without changing or splicing the wiring harness. It all works seamlessly. If I were towing with an air brake equipped motorhome, I would have swapped the invisibrake for an air force one braking system. I installed all the pieces myself over a weekend. I took my time to make sure everything worked properly and was cosmetically appealing (in other words I worked slowly). It could have easily been done in half a day if you are mechanically inclined.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
I sometimes tow my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I have a Demco Xcaliber (sp) tow bar and baseplate. I got the tow bar off ebay practically new and purchased the baseplate new. I use the original Brake Buddy which I also got from ebay. Has worked fine for about 7 years.

I rewired the Jeep to use its lights instead of putting add ons and integrated it with the truck electrical system.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, Hereโ€™s what weโ€™ve been using for years. Works well, just donโ€™t get in a situation where backing is necessary or youโ€™ll get to practice your unhooking procedure, sometimes not in the most convenient location.
We added a LOD front bumper with mounts for the towbar, but Blue Ox sells a bolt on bracket if you want to retain your stock bumper. Regarding wiring, I added a stand alone tail light system that works independent of the OEM system.
RVi brake unit

Blue Ox Alpha
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

joezuki
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2011 JKUR 4-Door with a Falcon 2 tow bar with and aftermarket bumper, I did have to buy different ends from etrailer.com to hook to the new bumper.
Joe & Carol
2000 Southwind 32V
2011 Jeep JKUR - toad
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L - toad