cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It Begins...New to me 2001 Lance 1010

chasmosis
Explorer
Explorer
Been Lurking here for a long time. Looking this fall for a decent used TC and ended up finding one close to home. Got a new to me 2001 Lance 1010. Pretty tickled overall. So far real nice unit for what I thought was a great price.

I already have the Torklift frame mounted tie downs but need to update the tie-downs that came with the unit. The Camper came with some turnbuckles too short for the frame mounted tie downs without using chains to make them long enough. I'm looking to go ahead and get a set of TorkLift Fastguns. Best price I've come across so far is about $625 shipped from adventurerv.net. OR I've seen a set of 4 plus the torklift locks for $673 shipped from etrailer. What are other folks paying for their fastguns?

The new (to me) unit:

chasmosis
26 REPLIES 26

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Life (after retiring) is a hobby in itself.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:
It's always a process to get it just the way you want it.

And, buying a used unit saves probably about $30 grand over a new one, which are somewhere in the 36-40k range.

I'd be willing to deal with a fair amount of tinkering to save $30 grand...

Bingo..Couldn't have said it better myself.A truck camper or any RV is a hobby to me as there is always something to do to it or upgrade.

Congrats on you camper and enjoy getting it to the way you want it.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
It's always a process to get it just the way you want it.

And, buying a used unit saves probably about $30 grand over a new one, which are somewhere in the 36-40k range.

I'd be willing to deal with a fair amount of tinkering to save $30 grand...
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

chasmosis
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
The wrinkling on the wall in front of the access door and the misalignment of the door itself speaks to me like a structural issue under the Filon.

Lance applies the stripes AFTER the entire unit is assembled so the mis aligned stripe is indicative of issues under the skin (and the wrinkle) as well.

There are hidden issues on that unit that will only get worse if not addressed.

Finally, where is the OEM under mount for the tie down? Lance uses the standard underside mount, they never use the jack plates for a securement point.

The seller reported to me that the owner before him (I'm pretty sure I'm the 4th owner of this unit) had mounted it on a flat bed and had used the bracket on the jack mount to better align with using it on a flat bed. I'm planning on getting eye bolts and going back to using the default tie down point.

The wrinkle was explained to me as caused by the camper being off the truck in a muddy area and one or more of the jacks sank/moved in the mud and this one was tweaked enough to cause the wrinkle.

I believe someone else noted the frame mounted tie down didn't have the plate on the end. This was the unit right after I bought it and that bracket came with the unit, had the right chains in place, AND fit the torklift reciever so I took out the torklift tie down end and used this one for the ride home. And I agree I should have spun it so the eyebolt was facing forward.

All things that are on my list of items to address/revisit.

I acknowledge I still have a fair way to go to get it the way I want/need it

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
The wrinkling on the wall in front of the access door and the misalignment of the door itself speaks to me like a structural issue under the Filon.

Lance applies the stripes AFTER the entire unit is assembled so the mis aligned stripe is indicative of issues under the skin (and the wrinkle) as well.

There are hidden issues on that unit that will only get worse if not addressed.

Finally, where is the OEM under mount for the tie down? Lance uses the standard underside mount, they never use the jack plates for a securement point.
2015 Backpack SS1500

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Nice-though I'd be a bit more curious about what appears to be, the jack not being true vertical. That and all the wrinkling on the wall.
Could be there was a reason upper mount relocated?

If the upper mount on jack plate was flipped 180° give another 1" or so rearward at top. Did note the lower T/L mount has no outer plate (facing forward) and the eyebolt used is facing to rear. Fixing that would increase angle by several inches.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats...Nice setup.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nice camper!
Yeah I caulked and sprayed bed liner inside the rear wings of both our campers. Waterproofed them up good
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
tattoobob wrote:

I have the same camper and this is the tie down point location

I see you are getting Tork Lift rust on your tie down (s).

I think being on the beach 90% of the time, salt is a real killer

The set was bought in 2011
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
tattoobob wrote:

I see you are getting Tork Lift rust on your tie down (s).
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I know when I went shopping for a new TC 2 years ago, Everything that had 'wing's' or panniers or whatever you want to call them, I looked at carefully to make sure there was the absolute minimum number of seals in the box section and that the side Filon was continuous from the upper side to the bottom of the wings with no seam and over cover strip.

I have mud flaps too but that didn't stop the water, just slowed it down a bit. Was always careful about roof and side seam caulk but lax on the box section and I paid for that with rot issues but I sold the unit and yes, I was up front about it. The new owner (I know him personally), took both wings completely apart, replaced all the nasty stuff and resided the camper below the transition.
2015 Backpack SS1500

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer

2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
That and the wings on the back. I had an issue with the one I sold. Water tend to get driven into the box section and does bad things inside.

I have read alot of that happening(wing rot) on Lance campers with wings so I coated my wings with white roof sealant and will again before I put it back on the truck.

This is my first Lance with what everyone calls wings.I have always had Lance units that did not have them just for the fact I use mine in the hills where any overhang in the rear could be an issue getting in and out of the places I go.The wife won out for the extra room and storage the extra length and wings provide!

Big mudflaps and roof sealant,hope they do there job on protecting the wings...I am glad you brought this up for the opp and his new camper. with wings.

It seams we either learn by our mistakes or someone elses!
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Pretty quick fix with a MIG. About 5 seconds makes it solid...

Material is also different. While just welding an open eyebolt closed helps, it doesn't give it the same strength.

A Forged steel eye bolt (lifting eye) is stronger but a bar stock formed eye bolt is stronger than the tie down point anyway. Kind of moot because failure is always at the weakest point and that won't be the eye bolt, welded closed or forged steel.

How it works or should I say fails.

Breaking strength is always limited to the weakest point...always.
2015 Backpack SS1500