cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Radio

lochsaelk
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2017 keystone Springdale in Feb. The AM band on the radio has never worked and the FM band has limited reception when out of town. I took the trailer to the dealer and they stated that because of the switch from Analog to Digital the radio won't work unless I install a desperate antenna. Has anyone else had this issue?
9 REPLIES 9

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Digital antennas are no different than analog antennas. The radio doesn't care, it's still picking up a signal on the same frequency band.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
lochsaelk wrote:
I purchased a 2017 keystone Springdale in Feb. The AM band on the radio has never worked and the FM band has limited reception when out of town. I took the trailer to the dealer and they stated that because of the switch from Analog to Digital the radio won't work unless I install a desperate antenna. Has anyone else had this issue?

there is almost no "digital radio" stations. AM and FM are the same as they have been for the last 100 years. blowing smoke. more than likely either there is no external antenna hooked up, or it is hooked up incorrectly.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that you have a cheap imitation "batwing" antenna, a very cheap radio and no AM antenna. The fix is simple, just install a Winegard batwing TV antenna, replace the cheap radio with a better one (most anything might be better) and install an AM/FM whip antenna. Now your TV and radio will work.

lochsaelk
Explorer
Explorer
My bad, it is a Springdale not Silverdale

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
For whatever the reason my TT uses the television antenna for the FM radio. So it is directional and works best when pointed at the station. It also works best when the television antenna is raised.

The AM radio band has never worked because there is no outside antenna. You will see many spring loaded whip antennas on TTs, these are used for the AM reception. My TT never had one.

An easy test is to raise your TV antenna, tune in an FM station and see if the signal strength varies when you turn the antenna.

I doubt if the salesman has a clue about these things.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps that's a typo and should read separate. I've never had a trailer that didn't already have a separate antenna for the radio.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the OP meant separate antenna because Keystone used a cheap omni directional antenna for TV/FM/AM.

That works great if your camped between the transmitters of the AM and FM stations, as in a parking lot next door to them, and within 10 miles of the TV station, with a clear line of sight to it. The dealer is probably making the case that since this is what Keystone provided, that's what you get. Good luck dealing with Keystone even if you have a decent dealer involved.

I also believe the OP has a Springdale. I've never heard of a Keystone Silverdale. I think a Silverdale is a ham?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think the dealer was desperate for an excuse.
bumpy

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
What the heck is "a desperate antenna". I would tell the dealer that you bought a trailer with everything working, if it does not work they not you need to fix it under warrenty. Personally it sounds like a cop out for not fixing/replacing a non functioning radio.