cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

koa cape hatteras/rodanthe north carolina opinions

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
anyone camped at koa cape hatteras/rodanthe recently? wife and i have reservations thanksgiving night thru sunday this week. we have a 33 foot tt with a back in spot next to dunes. anyone have advice or comments? we will be doing late checkin around 7pm. we haven't been to outer banks in about 12 years. its the off season but looking for things to see and do in the area. thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
ok had a great time over thanksgiving at the koa cape hatteras. we would not hesitate to go back in spring or fall. had a backin full hookup site at the dunes. so close we could hear the waves inside the TT. off season so of course park was less than 1/4 full. larger than average koa.

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
we stayed there a few weeks after they got power back. Had a pull through site with a patio, nice size, but not a single tree. The sites closer to the dunes are a bit shorter, but I did see some larger trailers on them. Nice pool complex and it was nice to go across the street and watch the sunset.

Even though there was bridge construction I didn't find the delays to be bad at all...nothing like in Ma!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Didnโ€™t stay at the KOA but passed it a couple of weeks ago on our way to the NPS campground at Frisco and it looks like theyโ€™ve done a great job of rebuilding. It was packed earlier in the summer when we were down that way. You may experience some minor traffic delays with the construction of the new bridges at Oregon Inlet and Pea Island.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
We are in a camp, a few miles south of hatteras KOA til 11/30. Weather looks chilly for Txgvg. We are looking for fishing charter partners, need a couple more to fill one anyome interested? PM me.

its a colder than usual north carolina fall this year. really appreciate the fishing offer, but the wife won't be interested. enjoy it.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We are in a camp, a few miles south of hatteras KOA til 11/30. Weather looks chilly for Txgvg. We are looking for fishing charter partners, need a couple more to fill one anyome interested? PM me.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed there last year but in the early spring (March). Was very quiet and peaceful, The early spring and late fall are the only times we go. Good Luck and Happy Camping !! Oh if you like oysters... Awful Arthurs is a great place to eat.
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were there shortly after they cut the power line to the island and after all the cancellations, it was sparsely populated. The folks were fine, and they do a good job of picking up the trash. If we ever go back, we would not hesitate to stay there.

There was and probably still is road and bridge construction that you will run into if you come the northern route. Passable but could slow down.

There are a few places to eat nearby, all of them laid back. There is a family restaurant on property upstairs. The food is good, the place is clean, just not much of a place. Not bad for a quick breakfast or lunch sandwich.

We did the obligatory trip up the coast to Kitty Hawk and the Wright brothers park. The main museum was closed for renovations but since the feat was performed outdoors then you can walk the landing area and of course the hill where they launched their gliders.

If you like lighthouses there are at least two that you can visit and climb.

Have fun.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT