cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

8.1 MPG on 37' Gasser

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
We recently purchased a 2018 Miramar 35.3. It has the Ford V10 with the 6 speed transmission. I finally remembered to hit the trip odometer when I fueled on a recent trip. When I fueled again, I manually checked my mileage. On the 200+ mile trip, I got 8.1 MPG while towing our Jeep Wrangler. I was not running the generator and I was driving about 65-67 mph on flat terrain. The engine has just over 3000 miles on it. I was pleasantly surprised at this. I thought I would get 6.5-7mpg. I don't worry about milage but thought this was pretty good. When I used to tow my 30' trailer I would only get about 9.5-10mpg in the truck.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
38 REPLIES 38

Bruce_Brown
Time for this one to shut down.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:

not at all was it for you;it was a general opinion reply directed at a poster that said people should stay in Walmart's to save money for fuel

Below is the actual initial statement.

"Lastly, when you're running low on cash for fuel, stay at a Walmart, which does wonders for managing fuel costs. Buy your fuel and other necessities from them during your stay, for even more savings."

It does NOT say "...that said people should stay ..." but that they MAY stay there. Big difference between a suggested option and a SHOULD.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
If a person has to resort to worrying about fuel costs and staying in wallmart parking lots etc they really ought not to have a RV

Not sure if this was directed at me but I said in the original post that I don't worry about mileage but was pleasantly surprised at getting a little over 8mpg. I have never stayed at a Walmart so not sure where that came from.

Burch

not at all was it for you;it was a general opinion reply directed at a poster that said people should stay in Walmart's to save money for fuel

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
gutfelt wrote:
If a person has to resort to worrying about fuel costs and staying in wallmart parking lots etc they really ought not to have a RV

Not sure if this was directed at me but I said in the original post that I don't worry about mileage but was pleasantly surprised at getting a little over 8mpg. I have never stayed at a Walmart so not sure where that came from.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
gutfelt wrote:

Perhaps the best thing to do is not judge other people's decisions. If it offends you that some people stay overnight at a Walmart then the problems is yours, not theirs. :R

LOL you need to understand context of posts and replies OM
it was suggested staying in wallmarts would save the money you were spending on poor fuel mileage I suggested and still do if your that broke you really should not be driving around the country in new Motorhomes LOL
No where did I say or indicate it offends me

I do know how to read and the person that suggested Walmart, that you directed your comment to, was not driving around in a NEW RV.

LOL ok whatever u say and I say if you have to depend on free parking at wallmart etc to afford fuel for a RV then you should be not running around in a RV

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
gutfelt wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
gutfelt wrote:

Perhaps the best thing to do is not judge other people's decisions. If it offends you that some people stay overnight at a Walmart then the problems is yours, not theirs. :R

it was suggested staying in wallmarts would save the money you were spending on poor fuel mileage I suggested and still do if your that broke you really should not be driving around the country in new Motorhomes LOL

I do know how to read and the person that suggested Walmart, that you directed your comment to, was not driving around in a NEW RV.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
gutfelt wrote:

I look at it like this the money you save on gas means more beer and hot wings for your belly. Not everyone has unlimited cash flow.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
gutfelt wrote:

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
carp65 wrote:
If you have to be concerned about gas mileage, perhaps you don't need an RV.
Too many factors effect each fill-up--speed, terrain, wind, tire pressure.
When asked about mileage on our 2015 Tiffin Allegro, V-10, my responce was
"Didn't buy it for gas mileage". Very seldom check mileage--it is, what it is.

My response for this question at some fuel stations has been that it gets better than an economy car, once you factor in the Hotel's and restaurants.
I do check mileage however, since I don't like having a leak.
Happened once with an old gasser, but smelled it, so...
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to be concerned about gas mileage, perhaps you don't need an RV.
Too many factors effect each fill-up--speed, terrain, wind, tire pressure.
When asked about mileage on our 2015 Tiffin Allegro, V-10, my responce was
"Didn't buy it for gas mileage". Very seldom check mileage--it is, what it is.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 sounds good, just keep off the gas you might get better than 9. I did with a 454 throttle body in a 33 ft p30.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a 29ft, 15,000# coach so it is a little smaller and lighter than many others. Originally, it had a Chrysler 440 and a Thermoquad carburetor. I switched that to an Edilbrock MPI fuel injections system and the fuel mileage stayed about the same at 7.5-8.0 but it pulled a lot better in the mountains.

Later, I got the diesel bug and converted the coach to an '06 Duramax 6.6LTD and 6 speed Allison out of a rolled pickup. It was a good upgrade as I have gotten a little over 14mpg for the first 27,000 miles since the change over. This is actual as I have recorded my mileage with each fillup and put it into a spreadsheet. I recently increased the size of my fan from 22" to 24" and from 6 blades to 9 blades for better cooling on grades so I expect it to decrease from the prior amount to 13+ in the future.

I now feel more free to go places in the coach as the fuel cost is about half of what it used to be.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP
Just 1.3 gallons more on your 200 mile fill will net you your 7.7 MPG. Next tank might make you sick if you can have the fill area tilted for a much better fill. A minimum 200-300 gallons will give a reasonable idea of the milage.

LEN

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:

I agree of it's insignificance and if anything, my first concern, would be for depreciation per mile. I mentioned Wally World for a solution for those who do consider fuel consumption a matter of importance.
As for Walmart's, I like staying with them on occasion, as do many others that I talked with over the years. some that come to mind, was a Prevost owner, an MCI bus conversion and a huge fiver with a modified custom tractor pulling it. We usually end up spending more while there, but not like we buy what we don't need.
Besides it's interesting with all the people out and about and then there's other businesses that are usually within walking distances.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)