cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More Dish network problems

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Long story. We had a new traveler 1000 installed a year ago and a dish network Hopper 3 with sling. From the beginning we had issues with signal loss when temps went in the 30's. Finally installed a new cable from rooftop dish to the hopper last month and it's been ok til today. Now we have signal loss and it's in the upper 50's. We stowed the traveler and re aimed it. Says locked into all 3 sats. We've unplugged the hopper, tried the reset, multiple times, still nothing. Earlier we were watching a dvr recording and the receiver just shut down and restarted all by itself. Then after awhile it wouldn't even let us watch a recording. Then a bit later the dvr part worked again. Does it sound like our hopper has gone belly up and we just need a new one?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
18 REPLIES 18

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
georgelesley wrote:

One thing i did not mention before is that because the house dish uses the hybrid lnb and the rv dish uses the DPH42 switch I have to do a test switch when I move it back and forth so the hopper knows what setup to work with. Very easy to do, just push home button on remote, then diagnostics, then dish button on left of screen, then test switch button.

Instead of the "test switch" button (a soft reset), I recommend doing a Test Installation via the software Diagnostics tile . . .

. . . because you can make sure all sats are present and I think it's faster than by pressing test switch.

Finally, while the Winegard Travler + DPH42 switch works great, I recommend using the Hybrid LNBF on a portable dish . . . because you only have to run a single cable back to your RV:

Techwriter, my bad. That is the button I use, just did not look up the screen when I wrote that. Thanks for the correction.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:

One thing i did not mention before is that because the house dish uses the hybrid lnb and the rv dish uses the DPH42 switch I have to do a test switch when I move it back and forth so the hopper knows what setup to work with. Very easy to do, just push home button on remote, then diagnostics, then dish button on left of screen, then test switch button.

Instead of the "test switch" button (a soft reset), I recommend doing a Test Installation via the software Diagnostics tile . . .

. . . because you can make sure all sats are present and I think it's faster than by pressing test switch.

Finally, while the Winegard Travler + DPH42 switch works great, I recommend using the Hybrid LNBF on a portable dish . . . because you only have to run a single cable back to your RV:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I hope he sealed any cables entering your roof just the same as if they were NOT under the turret. It seems like you could have just opened the hole where the 2 cables ran and run a 3rd but I don't know your setup.

Yes all was sealed. It was just far easier to run a new three cable line thru a new hole because of the satelitte location.

I then repeat the process when we get home. Within a few minutes you are watching TV.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope he sealed any cables entering your roof just the same as if they were NOT under the turret. It seems like you could have just opened the hole where the 2 cables ran and run a 3rd but I don't know your setup.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Let us know. There is nothing that the antenna would do to cause the Hopper to shut down while watching recorded programming. The Hopper 3 does not work properly with the Trav'ler's standard LNB so I assume you have changed the LNB and you are using the required setup modified steps to get a proper lock.

Updated info, Bill... A stock Trav'ler with the standard Dish western arc LNB can be used with a Hopper 3 by adding the new DPH42 switch. The DPH42 also works well for using a standard western or eastern arc triple LNB with a Hopper 3 on a manually aimed 1000.4 dish.

We have this system. The DPH42 works perfectly with our winegard traveler no need to change lnb. I just leave the hopper 3 power and DPH42 power cords unplugged until the sat finds all three sats. I do hook up the hdmi and coax and any audio cables I want. Then plug in both the hopper three and DPH42. Works every time. I then turn off the sat box so we do not have to have the led glowing all the time. Just push power and select at the same time so the box goes off without stowing. We just completed a 2200 mile trip and used this system many times without problems.

BTW, I have a local dish guy that has an rv, and can do this, he did mine, and also is good at other audio/video stuff in the rv if anyone needs help.

One minor additional note. I only had two cables from the sat thru the roof. Three are necessary. I also had a solo node installed under the sat turrent that had to come out. While the local guy had the turrent off, he installed the cables under the dish turrent, so no new hole in exposed roof needed and the two old cables are no longer used but are there if needed in the future.

I wanted everything, nodes, splitters, switches, etc, all inside so if problems develop they can be fixed without trips up on the roof needed. So all the electronics and wiring are inside in the same compartment as the winegard box..

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
DC&MC wrote:
We have not changed the LNB. Works as long as we disconnect the hopper when searching. Then turn off the traveler and redo the cables

There are currently only two methods of using a Hopper 3 with a Winegard Travler:

- Swap out the Standard Travler LNBF with a Hybrid LNBF -- this method requires disconnecting the Hopper 3 before powering up the Travler.

- Use a DPH42 switch with a standard Travler -- this the the recommended method.

Thanks for this info. I saw that you were doing work with the DPH42 but I thought you were still using the Hybrid LNBF. Nice to know you can keep the Trav'ler stock and just deal with the power off issue with the Hopper. It should likely be unplugged when traveling anyway to help eliminate the possiblities of damage to the hard drive.....I assume it has a hard drive and not solid state.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
DC&MC wrote:
We have not changed the LNB. Works as long as we disconnect the hopper when searching. Then turn off the traveler and redo the cables

There are currently only two methods of using a Hopper 3 with a Winegard Travler:

- Swap out the Standard Travler LNBF with a Hybrid LNBF -- this method requires disconnecting the Hopper 3 before powering up the Travler.

- Use a DPH42 switch with a standard Travler -- this the the recommended method.

Thank you again, techwriter for the info. It does work as you said it would. As I posted above just leave the hopper and DPH42 unplugged until sats are locked.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Let us know. There is nothing that the antenna would do to cause the Hopper to shut down while watching recorded programming. The Hopper 3 does not work properly with the Trav'ler's standard LNB so I assume you have changed the LNB and you are using the required setup modified steps to get a proper lock.

Updated info, Bill... A stock Trav'ler with the standard Dish western arc LNB can be used with a Hopper 3 by adding the new DPH42 switch. The DPH42 also works well for using a standard western or eastern arc triple LNB with a Hopper 3 on a manually aimed 1000.4 dish.

We have this system. The DPH42 works perfectly with our winegard traveler no need to change lnb. I just leave the hopper 3 power and DPH42 power cords unplugged until the sat finds all three sats. I do hook up the hdmi and coax and any audio cables I want. Then plug in both the hopper three and DPH42. Works every time. I then turn off the sat box so we do not have to have the led glowing all the time. Just push power and select at the same time so the box goes off without stowing. We just completed a 2200 mile trip and used this system many times without problems.

BTW, I have a local dish guy that has an rv, and can do this, he did mine, and also is good at other audio/video stuff in the rv if anyone needs help.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
DC&MC wrote:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dish kept insisting it must be the satellite. Since we are now on our rv lot that we own in AZ I have scheduled them to come install a dish for us here. Now if it quits again dish will know it is them
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have to undo the cable between the traveler box and the hopper when searching the sats. Then we shut off the traveler box and refasten the cable. Been working that way for about 1 1/2 years.
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ