cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Battery or Battery Charger

thebig05
Explorer
Explorer
I have my Gateway 5th wheel plugged in at my home. My battery seems to be dead. Do I need to get a new one, or does it just need to be re-charged?
I'm ultimately trying to get a 50amp AC installed. When doing that it seemed to just wipe out the battery.
My camper is about 2 1/2 years old. Any suggestions?
14 REPLIES 14

thebig05
Explorer
Explorer
Battery is fully charged. If I plug the camper into my installed pole plug, do I need to have the battery switch on green? Do I need to have the remote led for the inverter on green?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP is planning to install a fifty amp 120/240 circuit to feed the rig.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
thebig05 wrote:
I have my Gateway 5th wheel plugged in at my home. My battery seems to be dead. Do I need to get a new one, or does it just need to be re-charged?

If the voltage at the disconnected battery is less than 10V, it is not likely to be recharged and worth anything.

thebig05 wrote:
I'm ultimately trying to get a 50amp AC installed. When doing that it seemed to just wipe out the battery.

What ? What is a "50A AC" ?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the battery charger on the battery asap. The battery charger should keep things operating for a week or more while you sort out the rest. I assume the charger is at least 10 amps rated.

Post the make and model of the device connected to the battery.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am guessing that you are using an adapter to connect the rig to some kind of shore power.
Test 120/240 panel to insure you are connecting both busses as some adapters only connect one leg. Shut off main breaker and test the input. If you have an inverter/charger, some have a small reset button on the housing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

thebig05
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'm trying to at this point. My oldest daughter is wanting to stay in it indefinitely and I want to make sure everything is working.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
thebig05 wrote:
Guys, I'm not sure that I even have a converter. I have an inverter that's attached to the battery and resides right by it.
Then that must be an inverter/charger.
thebig05 wrote:
These sentences confuse me. You mean you're trying, or you did?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

thebig05
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, I'm not sure that I even have a converter. I have an inverter that's attached to the battery and resides right by it. Does that make a difference?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check for converter power first at converter input, then converter output. Check to see if converter has reverse polarity fuses. (post make and model of converter)
Locate 12 volt DC distribution panel adjacent to the 120 volt circuit breakers (normally)
Look adjacent to the batteries for a resettable circuit breaker or fuse that may have blown.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
May as well remove the converter for a bench test. Assuming it is a WFCO I would replace it either way. But post the model number for best suggestions.

Do you ever camp off-grid and expect a fast charge from a generator?

YES charge the battery immediately. At less than 11 volts it is over discharged and sulfating. If there is a recondition or equalize mode use that too after charging. Battery plates can warp and cause a short when over discharged so good luck. At 6 volts you may need to jump start the charging to get the battery charger to even start working.

thebig05
Explorer
Explorer
Lights don't work unless I have it plugged into the truck. Battery switch is always on in my case. Feel like I may be doing something wrong. What would you suggest I do? My next step was to charge the battery as it's only registering about 6 1/2 on the multimeter.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Converter should put about 13.5 volts on the battery continuously.
Did you turn the battery switch off? Do the lights work?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
As noted earlier, you need to get a multi-meter and test at the battery. You should while plugged in, see a healthy 13 volts. Disconnected, your battery level should show. Should be around 12.5 volts.
No 13+ volts then the converter or converter circuit may have issues.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Had exactly the same thing happen. Measure the voltage at the converter terminals themselves, then at the battery terminals. It should be the same, over 13 volts.

If it's not, then there is a loose main feed from the converter to the battery. In my case I had to tighten the screw holding the negative wire right on the negative terminal strip.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel