cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canada here we come

classctioga73
Explorer
Explorer
So we live in the bay area California and we want to do a 2 week trek next summer 2018 thru Oregon, Washington, Canada, Montana and back home. We already visited Crater Lake, Yellowstone and Grand Teton last year.
We want to go north on I-5 and hit Mt.Rainier, possibly Olympic N.P and then into Canada and British Columbia. Then down thru Montana and Glacier N.P.
any recommendations of parks or places along the way and especially in Canada that are must see?? are there any helpful websites with travel information for that specific route??
15 REPLIES 15

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
The trip you are proposing has probably double the amount of mileage that your Yellowstone trip had. From my experience growing up, my fondest travel memories were of the times we were actually someplace, my least favorite times were during the drive. We visited all the places you are talking about but in several two week trips over the years, not all at once!

We have found 400 miles in a day is a comfortable amount. We've done more, but it takes a toll. Gasoline and bathroom breaks end up taking 15 minutes every few hours.

Either head to Banff NP in Canada or else do a trek up through OR and WA to the area around Vancouver BC. You can fit Crater Lake into either trip. The mountains around Vancouver or the mountains north of Banff will both give you the experience of seeing glaciers.

Option one, heading to Banff: Stop at Crater Lake for your first night. You should schedule three days minimum to get to Banff. Remember, it's not all interstate driving and the border crossing can take 10 minutes or several hours, depending on a number of factors. Once you get to Banff, it's not just about the town itself but the scenery. Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Johnston Canyon, etc. are just a few of the nearby areas to see. Yoho NP is also stunningly gorgeous. And since you're driving so far, you must continue north to Jasper on the Icefields Parkway (lots of glaciers to see). Remember how slow it can be to drive around Yellowstone? The same kind of traffic congestion can be expected in the Canadian Rockies NP's. It's a full day up to Jasper and a full day back. But don't miss it! And a visit to Lake Louise often means riding a shuttle bus as the parking lots fill quite early in the day. Means more time. But still well worth it. Even though we travel extensively in the western US, I still find that the views at Moraine Lake are perhaps the most stunning in all of our travels. (High praise coming from me!). Since you have to plan a minimum of three days to return, there really isn't time to see much on your way up or back. Glacier NP may seem tantalizingly close, but there's quite a bit of driving involved once you get to the west entrance. Save it for its own trip in the future.

Option 2: Head north to the Whistler BC area. See places like Crater Lake and Mt. Rainier on the way up. Spend some time sightseeing around Whistler. Glaciers up many of the canyons. Return to WA and head south to Longview and go west on US 30 to the coast. IMHO, the OR coast more accessible than the WA coast. And the drive around the Olympics is pretty time consuming. Drive the full length of the OR coast. Last trip to OR, we spend two weeks just on the southern half of the OR coast. Lighthouses, Tillamook Cheese Factory (and ice cream!), tidepools, sand dunes, lots to keep you busy. Heading south along the coast give you the best views and the most convenient way to pull off at the various view points.

Option 2 will probably save you 1000 miles of driving in two weeks.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
One more thought about the Pacific Northwest in August and September. The berries are ripe, so bring leather gloves for everyone and plenty of sturdy plastic bags. I have never had such great blackberries in my life. Just don't go overboard. Don't ask me how I know this. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like glaciers (and who doesn't?), I'd recommend Paradise Glacier on Mt. Rainier -- this photo was taken in late July a few years ago. It looks like we are advanced mountain climbers (we aren't!), but this location was an easy stroll from the lodge:

Click For Full-Size Image.

I would also recommend Mt. Lassen for pre-teens -- the walk through Bumpass Hell is amazing -- the mud geysers bubbling, the steam geysers whistling, very cinematic. (And Bumpass was the name of the poor guy who discovered this weird place. Wait till you find out what happened to him . . . . )
About our trailer

classctioga73
Explorer
Explorer
OK so i get that everyone feels that 2 weeks is not long enough time. besides Crater Lake what are 4-5 must see and must do things on my proposed route. we are not into hiking or boating, we just want to SEE the beautiful landscapes and want to see a glacier or two on the trip.

morley
Explorer
Explorer
Really agree with Fulltime wannabe's comments about going to the island, very expensive ferry ride over and back unless you have a couple pf weeks at least. The comments about the Alberta nd BC points of interest are well founded. Beyond Revelstoke is the Shuswap and Okanagan Valley areas of British Columbia which offer lots to see and do also. A quick internet search will help you find provincial parks, or private campgrounds a plenty. Enjoy your visit in our beautiful country.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having done a few too-long trips with pre-teen kids, I strongly, strongly recommend against a "drive and drive" vacation. If I had life to live over again, I would have taken shorter trips with my kids, with much more "outside time" for them than "car time."

Anyway, here are some suggestions:

From the Bay Area, I would suggest the first night in southern Oregon, then a couple of nights at Crater Lake.

After that, maybe Mt. Hood for a couple of days.

After that, Rainier for a few days.

On the way back home, maybe a few days in the Redwoods north of Eureka.

That is still about 2000 miles of driving round trip from the Bay Area -- still very ambitious -- but not impossible.
About our trailer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I did two weeks last July leaving from Keizer Or, up to Spokane, over to Fort Bragg then over to GNP, down thru Mizzoula MT, Stanley Id, over thru Boise and across eastern Oregon thru Redmond and Sisters Or before heading back home.
Thats about half of what you're doing. Way too much driving in 2 weeks for me.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
The ferry to Vancouver Island for your rig, toad, and kids is pretty close to $200 US each way, maybe even more.

If you all have bicycles, South Beach in Oregon is an awesome place to bike around in. Fort Flagler in Washington State is another the kids would really enjoy. That is up the Olympic Penninsula, then go to Camano Island and come to North Vancouver at Capilino RV Park. Pricey and busy, but you can enjoy Stanley Park, Lynn Canyon Suspension bridge, maybe even a gondola up Grouse mountain.

With your toad behind you, do not intend to go up past Pemberton. There is a beast of a hill climb there, and it's not good on heavily loaded rigs like yours.

To get from Vancouver to Waterton is a good two days. About six mountain passes to go over and a busy highway.

As others have said, stop and enjoy the park and place you are in. Distances are huge up here, you won't see anything unless you stop and have some fun.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
To each their own, but this is our thoughts based on past experiences of visiting. Living in Alberta we have taken our RV over to the island on the Ferry a couple of times and one thing that was very evident, we shouldn't have done so for the costs involved on short visits!!! Sure it was wonderful to experience the Boston Whaler trips out with the marine life of whales, seals, otters etc but ...... If we do it again we'll make sure we can stay on the island a minimum of 3 (ideally 6+ weeks) to thoroughly explore rather than just quick stops everywhere.

A couple of websites/forums that we found really really interesting and fun reading, on their trips to Canada National Parks on the BC/AB border were Emily Fagan of www.roadslesstraveled.us and Gonewiththewynns when they did their Alaska trip up through Banff, Jasper. You should search their website and read their writings I think you'll gain a lot from them on what does/doesn't appeal. You'll soon realize there are just so many parks other than Banff/Jasper that are worthy of exploring, and these guys picked some key areas to visit within.

As a side note, Cowboy Trail up to a cute town of Cochrane/Ghost Lake etc is nice. Also going into Kananaski's/Peter Lougheed (hwy 40), along Spray Lakes up to Canmore (take time here to walk along the river areas and townsite), before entering into Banff is a great route and you should see some awesome wildlife. On the further west side of Banff/Canmore entrance, Yoho Nat'l Park, out to Golden/Revelstoke is interesting. If you can see/kayak/hike at least some places can I suggest: Johnston Canyon Falls, Maligne, Emerald, Louise, Lakes and then heading up to the Columbia Icefields towards Jasper there's so much more. Worth popping in for an hour to both Banff Springs Hotel and Chateau Lake Louise if you are there to see.

With 2 weeks from California, you might find it prudent to either concentrate the majority of that time in Canada and the border States, exploring close to you neighbouring states on another trip or reconsider altogether saving the furthest North areas, for when you have maybe more time for a longer visit. Just a thought considering the costs/driving involved and how little you will physically be able to experience in such a short time.

Whatever you decide you'll have an awesome time. We love the Peace Parks as well: Waterton & Glacier National Parks for visiting. Tons of Bears in both in September time when berries around enmass!

Enjoy.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:
Pretty ambitious for a 2 week trip unless it for all driving and very few stops. IMHO

x2! Have done a similar trip from the Bay Area.
WAY too ambitious trip for only 2 weeks.
We drove straight to Washington, up I5, then to Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and home.
Just that alone took over 2 weeks.

Driving up the Oregon coast is so slow, it'll eat up a week just doing that.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I honestly think you and the kids will burn out trying to do all that in two weeks. There are no Disneylands but hundreds of smaller attractions where it's easy to lose a day. IF you get past the Oregon coast the first week take the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, park the car and take in the city. The Butchart Gardens will take your breath away. Beacon Hill Park is a wonderful place to waste an afternoon. Vancouver has harbor tours, Stanley Park, Chinatown, Lynn Canyon. Time's up. :B

classctioga73
Explorer
Explorer
So I forgot to mention that we have a 31 foot class C and a small toad car attached. looking to stay at private sites and drive the toad to certain locations. I know 2 weeks is not enough time to thoroughly see everything but with two pre-teens in the RV we just want to see the BIG MAJOR sites on our journey.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends on your rig and your preferred camping places, but noticing you have a Tioga might mean you are fairly small and perhaps without a toad. The coast of Oregon, and the lower coast of Washington state is certainly worth seeing, but perhaps you have been there before. Come up the east side of the Olympic Penninsula, there are some nice spots along there. Have a reservation on the Coho ferry to Victoria. You get off right in the center of town, it's really worth parking somewhere and walking a bit of the waterfront, seeing the Parliament Buildings and the Empress Hotel and checking our the classic boats in the marina. From there take your time and go to Rathtrevor Park north of Nanaimo and enjoy the trails and the beaches there. Come back to Nanaimo and take the ferry to Horseshoe Bay and head north through Squamish and Pemberton. Camp at Seton Dam and enjoy that. Drive almost to Calgary and come down the Kananaskis Highway, and head to Waterton Lake. Camp right in town there.

That should keep you pretty busy for awhile...enjoy it and thanks for coming.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The Ice Fields parkway in Banff and Jasper national parks in Canada is justly famous for its beauty. It's slightly beyond BC, of course. I definitely recommend it. It is popular and some spots may be a bit crowded and reservations for camping are pretty much essential.

It does sound like a busy (but doable) two weeks. Many would prefer to take more time. I think I would be among them, but one doesn't always have the time available to take, and so doing what you're able to do is entirely appropriate.