cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Take along TV??

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We still use an old fashioned antennae at home and it's not working well any more. Our motor home also just has the crank up antennae. My question is, is their a system you can use at home and take along on RV trips for TV reception on the road. I suppose a dish or satellite.
Something big and awkward that takes up much space is out of the question. Also the TV is the old analog requiring a converter box so would I have to replace it?
Jayco-noslide
11 REPLIES 11

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Wildtoad:
The wingman add on picks up the UHF signals better then the standard Batwing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well the Antenna on the RV still works in the Digital age, however it can be improved. If it is a Winegard Sensar II or III adding the Wingman helps.

If you have the standard wall plate with 12 volt outlet, antenna, switch and LED replacing with the SENSAR PRO (about 100 DIY) also helps, BIG TIME.

I'd replace the CRT with a nice new flat screen.. Lighter, Less power hungry. And no need for a converter.. Even if I use converters for other reasons.

Satellite TV If you decide to pay for your television, way more than I think it's worth.. Then get an RV account.. You have several choices but first choose DISH or DIRECT.. With Direct you may need multiple calls and threaten to call DISH to get to someone who can set up an RV account.. Make sure (With Direct) you send in the form for Distant Network Service.

You can use the same receiver in the House as in the RV..

Antennas can be roof mounted (easy to set up but do not work well if parked under a tree,,,,as I am now) or portable (large and need set up) Some portables are smaller than others but the smaller ones do not work as well

you can use the portable unit at home too.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:

Older Batwings would need the add on Digital antenna to get the newer digital signals.

This not accurate as there is no such thing as a digital antenna. You can pick up the new channels with rabbit ears, or a piece of wire as long as you have a digital TV or the converter.The addition of the Wingman improves reception on UHF channels, but is not required.

I agree he should upgrade hie TV.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
New digital TV and a 50 dollar digital antenna will do it in all but the most remote of places. The digital antennas are small and easy to move around.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best upgrade would be a NEW Digital TV......use that old analog as a boat anchor
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going on trips is the perfect time not to have a TV.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many rigs have the Winegard Batwing antenna. Look to see if you have a power supply small button on an antenna wall plate. This puts 12 volts DC onto the coaxial cable to power a booster inside the head. If there is no noticeable different in picture quality, the head could be bad or coaxial cable is corroded at connections.
Older Batwings would need the add on Digital antenna to get the newer digital signals.
You are going to have issues with older TVs as some are not able to get the new digital signal. That would mean replacement time!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several portable โ€œHDโ€ antennas being advertised on television that promise miracles, but avoid them. Your existing crank up is still good for the new channels and new tvโ€™s. No need for a new antenna in either location based on the little info, unless broken or corroded.

Before swapping anything...

1) Check all connections on both antennas for corrosion and address if needed.
2) Check antenna wires or coax for breaks, make sure in good condition.
3) For the crank up antenna Iโ€™m assuming is an old Winegard Batwing style antenna. The is a relatively cheap add on component you might try called the wingman.

I think you would be best served getting rid of the analog TV and the converter and buy a new one which are very cheap and going on sale due to Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
antennas rarely stop working unless most of the radials bresk off. what does go bad is the coax. if the antenna is whole i would replace the existing coax with a new run of quality RG-6.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Tailgater and a compatible Dish receiver (is it model 711?) can be used at home and in the rv. But the Tailgater does take a certain amount of space if you store it inside the rv. (My rv happens to have a nitch that is perfect for the Tailgater.) Some people find a way to attach Tailgater to the roof, but that is no good if the rv is parked under trees. I prefer to keep plenty of coax cable on hand so i can move the Trailgater to a place where it can see the satellite.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco, go to a local electronics store and watch HD....and UHD. Youโ€™ll never be happy with analog TV again.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad