cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Mint

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed it. What anti-virus, malware wold be good with it. my windows 10 over windows 7 wouldn’t boot up so I installed Linux. Best computer move I’ve made in a long time!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
7 REPLIES 7

FlatBroke wrote:
I was reading on the Linux forum that no anti-virus is necessary and may even make it more harmful. I don’t have any on my iPad so I guess I’m okay

There's no OS that's not vulnerable to malware. Including Linux and MAC, not to mention mobile devices. Among the least secure of all.

Case in point, our Design Studio supervisor was questioning strange behavior with his new MAC Pro. Random popup windows, and movement of his mouse pointer without his intervention. One of our desktop support techs took a look and found multiple malware installed. Which is concerning as he does not have admin privileges.

But what is probably more disturbing is that the MAC Pro was running the required enterprise AV software, the latest AI based technology. And couldn't detect anything abnormal. Malwarebytes did!

I had serious concerns about the effectiveness of this AI based security software before its adoption in our enterprise environment. Running on a U.S. Gov network at that. Though won't mention the name, as its developers have a reputation of legally pursuing those who comment negatively about them. Luckily, it's endpoint use and not for the home consumer market. Fortunately, for the rest of us? :B

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading on the Linux forum that no anti-virus is necessary and may even make it more harmful. I don’t have any on my iPad so I guess I’m okay

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
I tried linux but could not get the linux computer to see the printer my windows 10 computer shares on the network. That and my Civilization III would not load. I like linux for some things but I am not enough of a geek to figure out how to make it work with my network and games.

Try WINE, it'll help you with some of the Windows programs. I know that it's a bit slower than running a pure Windows OS but it's good.

WineHQ

and for printers, does that printer has a network IP address? you could just add it to Linux that way if it's compatible.

linux printers

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
I tried linux but could not get the linux computer to see the printer my windows 10 computer shares on the network. That and my Civilization III would not load. I like linux for some things but I am not enough of a geek to figure out how to make it work with my network and games.

My Cannon air printer wouldn’t work on my lap top with windows. With Linux i had It look for a printer and it fired up it up in seconds.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same to a HP Mini, install went fine, BUT I for got to up grade the ROM firmware. I'm getting errors. The upgrade programs are only available for windows! Bummer. I'm now looking to create a thumb drive to boot off of to do the firmware upgrade!

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
I used ClamAV for a bit, make sure you run a firewall tho.