cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best value for 3-4 week RV campground programs

rickflies
Explorer
Explorer
I know that this is a very "depends on what you want post", but here goes. I am going to be a almost full timer in a couple of months. My plan is too stay mostly east of the Mississippi for the next year of so at least. The max stay will be approx. 3 weeks, but that could change.
i would like to get some advice/ comments on how to get the max benefit for my parking spot dollar.
I know of Good Sam of course, but heard some rumblings on other similar cards out there.
Again, thanks for your input!

Rick
8 REPLIES 8

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
We spend several months each year volunteering, working 24 hours a week or so in exchange for a site and hookups. Some folks do this nearly full time. We volunteer for the fellowship, and because we can, not to save money, but it is a way to experience an area without high campground fees.
See NOMADS, an organization that schedules 3-week projects sponsored by a church, or extended disaster rebuild projects (after hurricanes, floods, etc) you can commit to for a week or up to several months.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
rickflies wrote:
Thank you to all for the great feedback, it is exactly what I wanted. I had completely forgotten about the COE grounds. We stayed in those a lot when I was a kid doing the weekend/weekly trailer camping thing. Some great places near lakes that are almost empty outside of summers.
For sure I've got a lot of research to do!

Stay away from KOA parks if saving money is a major concern for you. KOA near Fort Stephens Oregon was charging $60 per night:(:(:(. I told the lady behind the desk that I just wanted to rent the RV site, NOT BUY IT!!!

rickflies
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all for the great feedback, it is exactly what I wanted. I had completely forgotten about the COE grounds. We stayed in those a lot when I was a kid doing the weekend/weekly trailer camping thing. Some great places near lakes that are almost empty outside of summers.
For sure I've got a lot of research to do!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Monthly rates are often about the same as staying 2 weeks. Weekly rates are usually stay 7 pay for 6. Daily is a killer.
Use Passport American and similar when you only plan a day or 2 and monthly the rest. You can also purchase a plan like Thousand Trails but you must be willing to stay only at TT locations and there just are not enough to use them exclusively.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have an unlimited budget - you will want to say for a minimum of a week but monthly is even more cost effective

For instance two highly rated parks Goodsam 10/10 in Texas we stay at are as follows
260 a week 625 for a month
and
210 for a week and 490 for a month

We find top rated campgrounds in Texas lots cheaper than the equivalent in Florida

I have never run into a pricing structure that had a weekly rate that did not closely run about the rate for 6 days - not five as a poster above said.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
rickflies wrote:
I know that this is a very "depends on what you want post", but here goes. I am going to be a almost full timer in a couple of months. My plan is too stay mostly east of the Mississippi for the next year of so at least. The max stay will be approx. 3 weeks, but that could change.
i would like to get some advice/ comments on how to get the max benefit for my parking spot dollar.
I know of Good Sam of course, but heard some rumblings on other similar cards out there.
Again, thanks for your input!

Rick

Good Sam/FMCA (if they still offer it)/AAA/Passport America and the like are usually for the single night rate. lets say you want to stay 5-nights...you'd pay the single night rate * 5 and then the discount would be applied to that.

most places will have a weekly or monthly discount that will be far far better than any camping club discount. sometimes it's pay for 6 get the 7th night free and so on. sometimes we'll book a week and leave after 5 or 6 nights which is cheaper than paying for 5 or 6 nights with the GS discount. ya just gotta do the math. we still carry the GS card as we're still doing the 1-2 night thing on our way to wherever.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Along with them, KOA, Passport America, Thousand Trails, and several others have discount programs, but be advised that most will have some types of limitations on the discounts. Another possibility is organizations that have facilities, Moose , or other lodges, Military bases, and the use of the golden age pass are all methods people use to reduce expenses. For extended stays most folks seem to gravitate west for a reason, cost tend to be lower.

Edit add on
Most folks that dry camp/boondock seem to be out west. But there are public lands available in the eastern states for low cost options. Allstays, and some other campground locating apps have information on them. National Forest lands, some state and even utility companies also have low cost, low amenity areas that are available, but are a little more difficult to locate.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passport America.........50% Discount Card with restrictions (depends on each participating CGs specifics)
PassPort America

Thousand Trails 'ZONE' Pass .....One Year for $565 Add'l Zone for $49
TT ZONE Passes

Private Membership...Home Park with Affiliate Memberships (C2C, RPI, AOR, ROD)
BUY RESALE ONLY for best value and lowest yearly dues
RESALE Memberships

Then there is staying for 4 weeks at a time.....lowest daily rate/plus metered electric at many CGs

C.O.E. -----14 days Great CGs managed by Corp Of Engineers (near Dams/Lakes) reasonably priced

City Parks......Low Cost---limited services

Fairgrounds.....Reasonably priced....some FHUs, some limited services.

State/National Parks....can be good price/can be high priced...varies depending on locations and availability can be limited
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31