cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rvwholesalers.com

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever dealt with rvwholesalers.com located in Ohio? We are looking to upgrade our unit, and I got a quote from them about $4000 cheaper than my local dealer. I have a trade in I would have to drive the 500 miles to Ohio to do the deal. So based on anyone's experience with rvwholesalers.com are they worth dealing with especially if I have to drive to Ohio to trade my current unit in?
26 REPLIES 26

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how people with a verbal contract are totally put out when they find out it's as good a the paper it's written on.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
...They are wholesalers...

Not really, they are a retailer that operates with small margins due to the economy of scale. A wholesaler does not sell to the end buyer.

You are 100% right, I misspoke. What I meant to convey is that they make their money selling new rigs at a high volume. They aren't interested in fixing and selling the OP's used rig, thus they will give a very low trade in offer.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Huntindog wrote:
I don't do trade ins. It just muddies the price waters.
I pay cash for the new unit, bring it home and park it next to the old one. Then I sell the old one after transfering all my stuff out of it.
It sells quickly as the most common concern buyer seem to have, is "why are you selling it?" I just point to the new one. That sells it.

What I do is tell the dealer that there is no trade. That way we work on the price of the vehicle at hand. Once we set an agreeable purchase price, I change my mind about not having a trade and we work on getting a fair price on the trade. At this point, most dealer's will give a fair price so that they don't lose the deal completely. If we can't reach a fair price on the trade then I'll head to another dealer or sell it to a third party depending on the situation.

I'm not sure about other states, but here in Texas the value of a trade gets deducted from the taxable amount of the sale. Paid cash or money down does not. Quite a bit of money can be saved in sales taxes with a trade as opposed to selling to a third party. Sometimes you ultimately end up coming out ahead by trading in for a little less than selling it to a third party for more because of the sales tax benefit.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
we've never had a problem selling a used TT on Craig's list. I think it's important to make sure its really clean, shiney on outside and clean on the inside (my wife makes sure of that even when we're camping). We've gone thru about 4 used TT's in the past 4 years and each one sold within 3 weeks of posting the ad, one of them within one week, and got asking price. I'm always surprised cause I figure it'll never sell.

Also never had a problem with a local dealer working on my unit even though I didn't buy it there. If they give you good service they figure you might buy your next one there.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
My dad just bought from them. He was working out of state and did save thousands buying from them. The biggest thing for him was that he had it delivered directly to him. He didnโ€™t go to Ohio.

I personally try to build relationships with the local dealers. My last TT was bought from an individual and I had to get a new awning installed. The local dealer had no issue taking my money to install the new awning.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
I pay cash for the new unit, bring it home and park it next to the old one. Then I sell the old one after transfering all my stuff out of it.
It sells quickly as the most common concern buyer seem to have, is "why are you selling it?" I just point to the new one. That sells it.

That's a good philosophy to have if you are able to carry it. I too will certainly never trade in another. The reason why most RV dealers will shoot you a trade number sight unseen is they are giving you a wholesale number. As an experiment once I negotiated new purchase with trade in over the net with half a dozen different dealers and all 6 were within $400 of each other sight unseen on trade.

Just take the low retail number over at NADA being accurate with any added options as most are not options, subtract about 30%, and that will usually give you a ballpark trade in number. It's a definite money loser for sure.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

Not really, they are a retailer that operates with small margins due to the economy of scale. A wholesaler does not sell to the end buyer.

100% correct. Using the word "wholesale" in their name is simply marketing, and in the state of Ohio they can do that............legally. In most states, such as here in PA, that would be considered false advertising and they would face the wrath of the state AG.

A big chunk of their supposed wholesale discount is from the fact they are located only 170 miles from the manufacturing center in Indiana. There are a lot of dealers in their local market, who can make the same deals they can without the financing requirement they try and impose. Labadie RV in Toledo is one. That national service network is a bunch of marketing bunk also. If you call them they start calling dealers local to you and attempt to get them to do your warranty work, but why would most be willing to do that when you drove halfway across the country to buy from RVW to save a few bucks. Just call RVW and ask for a list of the dealers that are contractually signed into this "nationwide service network" and see if they have one.

OP, in your other post about deposits you mentioned Leo's RV. Careful with those guys. Someone suggested Keystone RV center right over the Mason Dixon in Greencastle PA, they are an outstanding dealer. As is Beckleys in Thurmont MD. Unfortunately neither carry the Keystone Passport line. Being a former Keystone Passport owner I can tell you there is nothing special about them and other manufacturers make close to the same floor-plans. It may be in your best interest to take some time and visit the dealers mentioned above.

frisbeekev wrote:
Plus as said I would hate to drive to Ohio 1000 miles round trip and them low ball the trade,

All dealers will "low ball", that's not exclusive to RVW or any of them. But its not really low ball. They are the ones who have to carry it and resell it, and their are a whole lot of costs to that, plus they're in business to make money. That's the premium you pay for not having to put up with the headache of unloading it yourself. What are you trading in by the way, if you don't mind me asking?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like the best bet is to use rv wholesalers price to negotiate the local dealer. Plus as said I would hate to drive to Ohio 1000 miles round trip and them low ball the trade, or God forbid it broke on the way out there or something. I have to finance or 1 year with rv wholesale and who knows what rate, the local dealer will let me use my wife's credit union who we have used before and got a low rate.

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

We are looking to purchase a 2018 keystone passport 2920bh model

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
What RV are you looking at purchasing?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a friend that bought from RVWholesalers and had a fine experience. He drove to Ohio to pick it up and it was as described, no hidden fees or anything. He agreed to the price, with all taxes, PDI, etc included before he drove out there.

But this was his first camper and he had no trade in. They are wholesalers, so they are going to low ball the heck out of you on a trade in. Furthermore, they know that if you hauled your camper all the way to Ohio then are at their mercy. You can't tow BOTH trailers home, so they know that they hold the upper hand on a trade. You will have invested good money and time into towing your old rig out there and will invest MORE money and time into hauling it hack home, plus you won't get the shiny new trailer. All that equates to them holding all the negotiating power.

Based upon that, I think you are better off trying to negotiate a better price from your local dealer. Check your other thread, I highly recommend Keystone Mega RV which is a little over an hour from you. They have a wide selection of makes/models and really competitive pricing. Again, they are wholesalers too so they don't want your used camper and will probably give you a lower price than you want.

If you can afford it and have a place to store it over the winter, I would suggest you consider keeping your current trailer and offering it for sale locally in the spring. The market will get higher in February/March as people in the mid-Atlantic start thawing out and considering vacation options for the year. I sold my old trailer on Craigslist relatively quickly. It made it super easy to negotiate my new trailer without worrying about the "trade in balloon" effect.

Good luck!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok.. so, if it is competitive interest rates, then refi after a year, or stick with them.

If the rates are competitive, does it really matter that the dealer gets a little something in return for the financing?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS