cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadmaster invisibrake

hammer01
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for suggestions: I have a roadmaster invisibrake which works great but recently the 5 foot jumper fron the back of my bus to my truck came apart and now one end is gone. Has anyone replaced their wire with a more secure connection? i know its not hard but i always like to see what other people have done and what works and what does not.

Thanks,

Jeff
5 REPLIES 5

hammer01
Explorer
Explorer
I too am an old truck driver, the T2000 is a nice truck and you are correct towing capacity is not an issue lol. hope you and yours have Safe travels and happy camping.

Jeff

Chad_Heiser
Explorer
Explorer
hammer01 wrote:
Chad, thank you for the detailed response. Currently i have a 4 pin on my bus and on my truck. I was thinking the easiest way would be to convert both to a 6 pin and what you did will be exactly what i will do this weeekend.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Glad I could help. It is nice to minimize the connections between the tow vehicle and the towed. Not that it matters any, but I actually tow my Jeep behind my 5th wheel so the 7 pin connector I was talking about is there in my set up. I tow with a Kenworth T2000, so capacity is not an issue (but length can be). The switch in the sense cable in the Jeep that I mentioned gets used every once in a while when I tow the Jeep directly behind the truck. I just turn that off so the sense cable isnโ€™t trying to back feed on my brake controller wire in the 7 pin at the back of my truck.

hammer01
Explorer
Explorer
Chad, thank you for the detailed response. Currently i have a 4 pin on my bus and on my truck. I was thinking the easiest way would be to convert both to a 6 pin and what you did will be exactly what i will do this weeekend.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Chad_Heiser
Explorer
Explorer
Do you tow anything else with your motorhome? If not, you can do what I did. I wired the sense cable from the invisibrake into my 7 pin connector. The toad doesnโ€™t use a brake controller wire to activate the invisibrake, so I wired the sense cable to the brake controller pin in the 7 pin connector. I then bought a 7 pin to 6 pin umbilical and installed a 6 pin plug on the front of my towed. The four standard wires (left turn, right turn, brake, ground) take up 4 pins in the 6 pin. 12 volt positive and invisibrake sense wire take up the other 2 pins. 12 volt positive goes to the toad battery with an in line fuse to help keep the toad battery charged up while towing.

If you do tow other things with your motorhome and need the 7 pin plug wired standard for other things, you could wire a second 7 pin at the rear of the motorhome. Jump the 5 standard connections from the existing 7 pin (left turn, right turn, brake, ground, and 12 volt positive) then add the invisibrake sense wire in as number 6 (leaving the 7th pin unused). Make sure you label which 7 pin connector is for what so you or someone else doesnโ€™t mix them up.

This way the only electrical connection between the motorhome and toad is a single umbilical (7 pin on the motorhome side and 6 pin on the toad side). The only drawback to this method is the toad canโ€™t be towed by anyone else without a little rewiring (or ingenuity). I did put a simple on/off switch in line in my invisibrake sense cable in the passenger compartment of my toad. This way, I can turn the sense cable off for emergencies when my toad might have to be towed by someone elseโ€™s rig. Everything else will work, I just wonโ€™t know for sure the invisibrake is activating or not because the sense cable is taken out of the equation. For emergencies, I can live with this.

Hopefully this all makes sense. If you need any more information let me know.

dsisemore1
Explorer
Explorer
I have one it has a bullet butt connector (that is the way CW set it up). Do not like it. I have had the system about a year and replaced it once. Seemed like every trip was having to use something to crimp it together - doesn't seem to be made to connect/disconnect often. Looked for various replacements but haven't found anything yet. Good luck