cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brochure/online GVRW vs actual posted in toyhauler

HD_ToyHauling
Explorer
Explorer
So can a guy trust any posted cargo weights ? Saw that a Forest River Vengeance could carry 5000+ pounds (seemed very high) with two axles. Talked to someone locally that has one for sale. Posted weight is around 2800 ish max cargo! I can understand 500 lbs off but 2000? What's the deal? First toy hauler and trying to pick the right one but wow, this makes it very hard? Are they all that way or is it just Forest River
. I need at least 2000 lbs for our toys before we even load anything else? Bought a 2018 GMC 3500 with new Duramax to pull it (SRW) but starting to wonder if I'm wasting my time?
9 REPLIES 9

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
HD_ToyHauling wrote:
So can a guy trust any posted cargo weights ? Saw that a Forest River Vengeance could carry 5000+ pounds (seemed very high) with two axles. Talked to someone locally that has one for sale. Posted weight is around 2800 ish max cargo! I can understand 500 lbs off but 2000? What's the deal? First toy hauler and trying to pick the right one but wow, this makes it very hard? Are they all that way or is it just Forest River
. I need at least 2000 lbs for our toys before we even load anything else? Bought a 2018 GMC 3500 with new Duramax to pull it (SRW) but starting to wonder if I'm wasting my time?

They (manufacturers) can't be trusted.

On another forum a poster put money down to order a rig specifically because it had a large wrap around dinette he needed for a large family. When the ordered unit arrived it came in with a standard dinette, and the kitchen layout was also different. He had signed a non refundable deposit and the dealer refused to refund it.

From the Forest River Vengeance website................

"All information contained on this website is believed to be accurate at the time of publication. However, during the model year, it may be necessary to make revisions and Forest River, Inc. reserves the right to make changes without notice, including prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications as well as the addition of new models and the discontinuance of models shown on this website. Therefore, please consult with your Forest River, Inc. dealer and confirm the existence of any material, design or specifications that are material to your purchase decision."

And from the Vengeance brochure......

"All information contained in this brochure is believed to be accurate at the time of publication. However, during the model year, it may be necessary to make revisions and
Forest River, Inc., reserves the right to make all such changes without notice, including prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications as well as the addition of new
models and the discontinuance of models shown in this brochure. Therefore, please consult with your Forest River, Inc., dealer and confirm the existence of any materials,
design or specifications that are material to your purchase decision."
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
mapguy wrote:
NEVER trust the GVWR listed on brochures and online. The weights are only a representation of what they could be. One of the reasons why is weight of options. Brochure weights are typically a unit without options or upgrades -even sometimes without forced/mandatory "options". Carefully, look at dealer units -they have federal required weights ,plus RVIA required weight labels.

Some manufacturer's are more transparent than others in regards to online and brochure weights.....
I fixed it for you.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Only trust the GVWR listed on brochures and online. The other weights are only a representation of what they could be. One of the reasons why is weight of options. Brochure weights are typically a unit without options or upgrades -even sometimes without forced/mandatory "options". Carefully, look at dealer units -they have federal required weights ,plus RVIA required weight labels.

Some manufacturer's are more transparent than others in regards to online and brochure weights.....

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Well in my opinion you need to somewhat follow the sticker on your RV. My RV has a GVWR of 19K with a UVW of aprox 16,200. In the garage it has a sticker that says #3100 max in the garage which would put me over the GVWR if loaded to that. So I asked the question through Keystone, they told me that it was axle weight rating that I really should never exceed to prevent damage to the RV, which on my RV would be #21K, my tires are rated to #24K so I figure I can go to somewhere between #20K and #21K and be ok. Now If I'm stopped and weighed by the police and I'm over the RV sticker of #19K then I will probably get a ticket, but I'm also willing to take that chance. I have weighed mine at #17660 with most things in it and by the time I fill water tank which won't be very often when hauling the bikes I'm adding another #917, then add in the bikes I'm adding another #1700 so I'm at #20200 fully loaded and traveling which is still #800 under my axle rating. The bikes and full water loaded together would be a very rare occasion.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

HD_ToyHauling
Explorer
Explorer
BarryG20 wrote:
While I don't dispute anything being said, on our trailer it has a GCWR that includes a second trailer ie our fifth wheel has a GVWR of 9950 but a GCWR of 12500 or close to that don't remember exactly what it is Could this be playing a part in this confusion
this is a cut and paste right off the current brochure for our trailer(ours is older though)

STANDARD INTEGRATED REAR 2-INCH RECEIVER HITCH WITH 300-POUND
TONGUE CAPACITY (EAGLE HT ONLY) AND 3,000-POUND TOW RATING

The brochure makes no mention of the GCWR only GVWR but it is on the sticker.

Don't think it's combined weight. As said above I guess check actual
stickered numbers on each trailer before laying out your money. Only thing that twigged me to check this is reading that somone else had seen similar variations on the similar trailer? Not sure why as the options that are available weren't on this trailer so ????

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
While I don't dispute anything being said, on our trailer it has a GCWR that includes a second trailer ie our fifth wheel has a GVWR of 9950 but a GCWR of 12500 or close to that don't remember exactly what it is Could this be playing a part in this confusion
this is a cut and paste right off the current brochure for our trailer(ours is older though)

STANDARD INTEGRATED REAR 2-INCH RECEIVER HITCH WITH 300-POUND
TONGUE CAPACITY (EAGLE HT ONLY) AND 3,000-POUND TOW RATING

The brochure makes no mention of the GCWR only GVWR but it is on the sticker.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

path1
Explorer
Explorer
 > Brochure/online GVRW vs actual posted in toyhauler

Look real close for a footnote or asterick in sales brochure with the wording.....Manufacture reserves the right to .....(whatever they want) that most RV manufacture have.

Bottom line is buyer beware.

And don't forget to look up spec's for tires and axles. Some RV's directly from manufacture are very close to max weight once you fill tanks and toys.

Couple summers ago at a rest stop saw a toy hauler being transported to a dealership (new) with load range D tires and axles, I don't think the buyer could travel legal if tanks were full and play toys loaded.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

HD_ToyHauling
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
GVWR can be correct

UVW can be close......depends on options etc either added at factory or by dealers

CCC......number affected by weight of fresh water, propane, options etc

Each rig has a data plate with actual GVWR, OEM tires, VIN
Also will have a 'trailer weight' sticker showing that specific rigs weights (GVWR, UVW, CCC)

Otherwise one would need to weigh rig

I would think though that GVRW minus UVW would be CCC but this wasn't even in the ball park!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
GVWR can be correct

UVW can be close......depends on options etc either added at factory or by dealers

CCC......number affected by weight of fresh water, propane, options etc

Each rig has a data plate with actual GVWR, OEM tires, VIN
Also will have a 'trailer weight' sticker showing that specific rigs weights (GVWR, UVW, CCC)

Otherwise one would need to weigh rig
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31