cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interstate speeds

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
I used to pretty much haul ass with my truck camper but noticed that I was always passing up 5th wheelers. What's your recommended interstate speed. Is 75MPH ok? My 3500 Dodge seems to like 65-70 when pulling this 39ft TH.
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner
50 REPLIES 50

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
SWO Vette wrote:
sin cal hd wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
SWO Vette wrote:
I hope you guys who run 55-60 on two lanes with higher speed limits are pulling over to let backed up traffic go on by.

In California, the speed limit for trucks and autos with trailers is 55, so 60 is the maximum "safe" speed to not get attention from Highway Patrol.

I remember a few years back, a CHP memo went out to our trucking company. It read, the allowed over the speed limit would be reduced from 65>63. Meaning if you're in tow 63mph would be allowed. This memo came out the same year the new no cell phone while driving law was going into effect.

I note on roads with higher speed limits. In Texas most two lanes in the western part of the state have speed limits of 75. It goes without saying if the speed limit is lower you obey it. Duh

Actually, there is a 500+ mile section of I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio has a 80 MPH speed limit...and if you've ever driven it, you would understand why. Part of State Hwy 130 that loops around Austin as a 85 MPH speed limit

I just came back at 0200 this AM from San Antonio on I-10. Boring for sure. On our way there I kept the speed at 65. Got 10.9 mpg. On the return trip I went anywhere from 70-75 and got 9.5 mpg. Going to San Diego in a few days and will probably stick to 70MPH in OD on the flat parts, use the tow/haul mode at 65 MPH on the hilly parts.
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
As others stated, look at the speed rating of your tires. I normally don't go above 70.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
bpadamson wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
The tires on my new RV are rated at 75mph but I still prefer to be around 65, maybe up close to 70 to pass, but no faster. As I've mentioned before, there is no place I have to be to drive crazy fast with my TV and RV even if others are passing me. I'll get there, you might have a beer drank before I get there but I usually can catch up!! Lol!

X2 except for the catching up, us gasser's seem to lose a bit on the steep hills. I used to 'think' I had somewhere to be in a hurry, and have the tickets to prove it-- not worth it these days.

Enjoy!

Copy that!!!!!!!!!!! ~ ( I used to 'think' I had somewhere to be in a hurry, and have the tickets to prove it-- not worth it these days)

No guys...I'm still the last one there but I'm able to catch up on the beer!! Lol!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Kober wrote:
...In Tow/Haul mode the RPMs were too high for my liking.
Guess I'll be slowing down a bit from my old TC speeds.

Your trailer is pretty heavy and causing the shifting to occur more. Tow Mode is designed to prevent the constant shifting. And remember, pulling a trailer, the shifting is harder. Over time, more sifting and harder shifting will take it's toll on transmission. Tow mode is there for a reason. Use it. I found when I use tow mode, the fuel consumption difference is so minor. But the benefits of tow mode more than outweigh the slight difference in fuel costs. Tow mode does allow the transmission to shift, it just shifts at higher RPM's to prevent so much shifting back and forth between gears without tow mode.

I strongly advise using tow mode. It will save your transmission. You'll get use to it.

X2 on this also!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow at 70-75 mph, and got 5-6 mpg. When I retired, I slowed down to 60-62 mph, and now I get 8.5 - 10 mpg. In my humble opinion, that's worth slowing down for.

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
Been on those roads. The old saying goes here " nothing to see here, move along." Dang sure applies.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
SWO Vette wrote:
sin cal hd wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
SWO Vette wrote:
I hope you guys who run 55-60 on two lanes with higher speed limits are pulling over to let backed up traffic go on by.

In California, the speed limit for trucks and autos with trailers is 55, so 60 is the maximum "safe" speed to not get attention from Highway Patrol.

I remember a few years back, a CHP memo went out to our trucking company. It read, the allowed over the speed limit would be reduced from 65>63. Meaning if you're in tow 63mph would be allowed. This memo came out the same year the new no cell phone while driving law was going into effect.

I note on roads with higher speed limits. In Texas most two lanes in the western part of the state have speed limits of 75. It goes without saying if the speed limit is lower you obey it. Duh

Actually, there is a 500+ mile section of I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio has a 80 MPH speed limit...and if you've ever driven it, you would understand why. Part of State Hwy 130 that loops around Austin as a 85 MPH speed limit
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
bpadamson wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
The tires on my new RV are rated at 75mph but I still prefer to be around 65, maybe up close to 70 to pass, but no faster. As I've mentioned before, there is no place I have to be to drive crazy fast with my TV and RV even if others are passing me. I'll get there, you might have a beer drank before I get there but I usually can catch up!! Lol!

X2 except for the catching up, us gasser's seem to lose a bit on the steep hills. I used to 'think' I had somewhere to be in a hurry, and have the tickets to prove it-- not worth it these days.

Enjoy!

Copy that!!!!!!!!!!! ~ ( I used to 'think' I had somewhere to be in a hurry, and have the tickets to prove it-- not worth it these days)
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I've only been slowed down once in CA going 65 towing. Southbound I-99 about Bako was on cruise at 65 in right lane of two lane Hwy. Didn't notice CHP until he was alongside me. Once he was along side he slowed down some, I took the hint and he "slowed me down" to 55, then went on his merry way; I took the hint!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, I take speed limits as a suggestion.

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
SWO Vette wrote:
sin cal hd wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
SWO Vette wrote:

CHPs here in Cali will allow vehicles a little more over the limit. Ive had numerous radar traps let me pass on going 63 while towing.
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
sin cal hd wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
SWO Vette wrote:

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
SWO Vette wrote:

2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

dedmiston
SWO Vette wrote:

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230