Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Best Jacks to Stabilize TT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Best Jacks to Stabilize TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
jukes

Asheville

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/17 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When trying to sleep if one of the kids moves the TT moves and I feel like I am on a boat!
We have Jacks (old ones) and new tire chocks.
Any recommendations on the best Jacks for better stabilization? anything else? It makes me feel a little sea sick....
We have a 30ft Jayco 2008 Featherlight TT.
Thank you!

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/17 02:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jukes wrote:

When trying to sleep if one of the kids moves the TT moves and I feel like I am on a boat!
We have Jacks (old ones) and new tire chocks.
Any recommendations on the best Jacks for better stabilization? anything else? It makes me feel a little sea sick....
We have a 30ft Jayco 2008 Featherlight TT.
Thank you!
Featherlite.. and 30', means that a lot of the movement is from frame flex. To fix this means a lot of support points. I am not gonna make any recommendations on just how to fix it (plenty will be along shortly) but multiple support points is the key. At least 3 per side.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/17 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter what you do, your travel trailer will always have wiggle and shake in it. Thousands of posts and thousands of responses on these forums for this very same issue. The only real solution, that actually works, (and I've been inside campers that had these installed), are adding JT Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers to your existing jacks. These do work, but to be most effective, get 4 sets, one for each jack on your camper. Click here for more info.

The only other solution to completely eliminate trailer shake is to remove the wheels and set the entire camper on solid blocks.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

in5r

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/17 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 5th wheel and installed the JT Strong Arms. They have products for both travel trailer and 5th wheel applications. We have been extremely pleased with the results.do some research on prices shopping etc as there is a big flucuation in prices out there.

2012 Ford F-250 6.2 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

firemedic1992

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/17 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have installed the JT Strongarms on 2 5th wheels I’ve owned and they are great! You won’t be disappointed if you install them.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/17 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also have the Strongarms BUT as I have previously posted unless the rig is on a concrete pad there is still likely to have at least a little movement due to the flex in the ground.
So the ultimate is remove the wheels and use cement blocks or RR ties on a concrete pad.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/17 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First things first, next time your camper is set up somewhere, have the family go inside and walk around. Look at your wheels and tires. I guarantee you that your wheels are rocking back and forth at least slightly as they move. That is a large portion of the movement that you feel. X-chocks or ONEstep or similar products that put opposing pressure on tires to limit rolling will help reduce movement.

All trailers have flex in the frame, lightweight trailers have more flex. Pooducts like the Strongarms appear to work great in terms of stiffening up a frame. Perhaps adding another set of stab jacks in front of and behind the axles would help too. Other than that, you have to learn to live with a little motion in an RV.

We've been quite happy with the ONEstep system, reducing the wheel rotation. That really cut down on the motion that we feel with 2 active kids... now 5 and almost 3.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/17 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

I guarantee you that your wheels are rocking back and forth at least slightly as they move. That is a large portion of the movement that you feel. X-chocks or ONEstep or similar products that put opposing pressure on tires to limit rolling will help reduce movement.

All trailers have flex in the frame, lightweight trailers have more flex. Pooducts like the Strongarms appear to work great in terms of stiffening up a frame.

Agree ... there's no one solution that's going to eliminate all movement, in fact the only way to completely eliminate movement is to lift the trailer entirely off it's suspension, which is obviously not practical for any non-seasonal trailer. Rotational movement of the wheels can be noticeably reduced with a set of BAL X-Chocks but they're not going to eliminate up / down suspension movement nor that caused by frame flex. With several of the trailers we've owned I've found the combination of a set of X-Chocks to reduce rotational movement and a set of BAL Single Tire Locking Chocks to absolutely prevent the trailer from inadvertently shifting regardless of site slope also works quite well in minimizing suspension movement and I've not had to go any further, such as also using JT Strongarms. However, every trailer is different, some exhibit considerable movement, others not so much, as is one's perception of how much movement is too much and how much is acceptable.

[image]

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/17 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

spoon059 wrote:

I guarantee you that your wheels are rocking back and forth at least slightly as they move. That is a large portion of the movement that you feel. X-chocks or ONEstep or similar products that put opposing pressure on tires to limit rolling will help reduce movement.

All trailers have flex in the frame, lightweight trailers have more flex. Pooducts like the Strongarms appear to work great in terms of stiffening up a frame.

Agree ... there's no one solution that's going to eliminate all movement, in fact the only way to completely eliminate movement is to lift the trailer entirely off it's suspension, which is obviously not practical for any non-seasonal trailer. Rotational movement of the wheels can be noticeably reduced with a set of BAL X-Chocks but they're not going to eliminate up / down suspension movement nor that caused by frame flex. With several of the trailers we've owned I've found the combination of a set of X-Chocks to reduce rotational movement and a set of BAL Single Tire Locking Chocks to absolutely prevent the trailer from inadvertently shifting regardless of site slope also works quite well in minimizing suspension movement and I've not had to go any further, such as also using JT Strongarms. However, every trailer is different, some exhibit considerable movement, others not so much, as is one's perception of how much movement is too much and how much is acceptable.

[image]

IMO it is NOT NECESSARY as you believe to relieve all the tension on the suspension. You only need to relieve more on the suspension than the weight of the occupants moving around since that is what is flexing the suspension. My experimentation resulted in excellent rock solid stability by providing approximately 400lbs of upward force on both sides of the trailer approx. 6 to 8 ' infront and inback of each axle. The only movement I now have is at the very end of the trailer where I have chosen not to install any supports since that's the bedroom and there is very little moving around in that area and I just live with any movement from that area.

I'm not a believer in any of the support systems that have pivot points in them since that allows some movement and that is exactly what add ons like the JT strongarms, etc. attempt to remove. I simply use 4 screw type jackstands which don't suffer from this piviot joint slop/movement.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/17 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for the JT Strongarms. Best mod I've ever done. Removed virtually all the movement in my 34' tt.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Best Jacks to Stabilize TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS