Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Best Jacks to Stabilize TT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Best Jacks to Stabilize TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/17 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on our 35ft trailer the x chocks and a 3 point stabilizer system helped a great deal. JT stongarms or steadyfast seem to be popular. I have the steadyfast system, and it works great.

However you will NOT eliminate all movement, just reduce it a great deal.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

LAJMINNIEPLUS

maine

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/17 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try larger blocks under the jacks before you upgrade the jacks. They are more stable as they are cranked down less.

jukes

Asheville

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/17 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok thanks so much everyone! I expect a little movement but it's feels like more than it should be [emoticon]

Gulfcoast

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/17 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A question... On the travel trailer JT Strong Arm kits, why do they include just six arms and not eight? I want two stabilizer bars for each jack.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/17 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

A question... On the travel trailer JT Strong Arm kits, why do they include just six arms and not eight? I want two stabilizer bars for each jack.

It would probably be overkill. I have 4 on the front and one on the back for side to side movement and have virtually zero movement. I bought 6 (bought 3 of the 2 arm kits from BAL) but couldn't find a good way to mount the 6th and after trying to move the trailer I'm not at all upset that I couldn't get the last one installed, completely not needed.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/17 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

what you want to do is to stabilize side to side movement and up and down movement. All that takes for up and down is a jack at each corner for vertical load, and 3 points to stabilize lateral movement front to back and side to side. Adding a 4th for lateral stability actually can detract from stabilizing lateral movement since one of the 4 may likely be out of plane.

That's why only 3 points.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/17 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing to think about is how you or other people walk in your TT. It makes a huge difference. If you "walk light" your trailer will hardly move. If you clomp around and stop fast I don't care how much bracing you do it will move.

If you have a family like mine, good luck in teaching them to walk softly and light. [emoticon]

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jukes

Asheville

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies, finally getting back to this. I am thinking to get the BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizing bars, 2 of them. Will these still be effective on the 2 original stabilizing jacks that are on our 2008 30-ft Jacyco TT? These jacks probably aren't the best, but it's really the side to side movement I am trying to reduce the most, and I read that the jacks are more for to help with the up and down movement.
Thank you.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jukes wrote:

Thanks for the replies, finally getting back to this. I am thinking to get the BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizing bars, 2 of them. Will these still be effective on the 2 original stabilizing jacks that are on our 2008 30-ft Jacyco TT? These jacks probably aren't the best, but it's really the side to side movement I am trying to reduce the most, and I read that the jacks are more for to help with the up and down movement.
Thank you.

They mount to the frame and to the foot of the jack so how good the jack is shouldn't matter at all. If you're going to do 2 I'd probably do one in front and one in the rear on opposite sides. I say that because getting two to fit and be usable over the whole range of jack travel while also having the tightening nut easily accessible is really tough (at least it was on my 7' wide frame, perhaps an 8' frame would make it easier).

FrankShore

Laguna Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look for these kinds of jacks.

For the front, they will run parallel to the length.

For the back, the stab should be running in the opposite direction. Take a look at this photo:

[image]

This will get you the most "no shimmy" trailer

2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Best Jacks to Stabilize TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS