cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Malwarebytes Forced Trial

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone updated their Malware bytes lately? It forces a 5 day trial of Premium. No way I could find to remove it or block auto startup.
25 REPLIES 25

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Or you can wait five days and it reverts to the free version. Speaking of free, how can you complain about something they give away?

If you have another av program you will need to turn off the MwB real time protection to avoid probable conflict.

The paid version doesn't interfere with Windows Defender, if you're using that in Win 10.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Or you can wait five days and it reverts to the free version. Speaking of free, how can you complain about something they give away?

If you have another av program you will need to turn off the MwB real time protection to avoid probable conflict.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Yes, it forces you into a premium trial....if you don't sign up and pay at the end of the "trial" period it automatically switches you to the free version...

X2. Let the trial run through its course and, voila, you'll have the free version automatically.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
POOF! say goodbye.

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
@az99 ... Read thru all the posts in this thread and you will see I provided info on how to easily, easily stop Malwarebyte's from loading when Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10 starts. Also, you will find info I provided on how to quit the paid version trial. This is also easy to do and takes a single mouse click to do. All you need to do is remove a check mark.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
sherlock62 wrote:
az99 wrote:

The program also auto starts at boot and you can't disable it in startup of Task Manager.

More misinformation from az99.. Someone needs to double check stuff before posting crapola here.
Chill out buddy! I did check before posting. I went into MSCONFIG. The program does not show up under the Startup section where you can disable from startup on my Win 10. In fact I tried it twice before posting.

Thanx to the other posters for constructive and helpful info.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
braindead0 wrote:
az99 wrote:
It would be real nice if they informed you what you are going to get when all you clicked on to do was an update. Be honest and tell the customer they are being forced to use the premium version for a trial period.

The program also auto starts at boot and you can't disable it in startup of Task Manager.
You most certainly can prevent it from starting up, it's either in one of the startup folders, a windows registry Run key or (less likely) being launched as logged in user by a service.

Try running msconfig, that should give you a handy user interface to disable startup of anything. Be warned you can disable startup of necessary items using this. Start with the 'Startup' tab, sort by Manufacturer and you should find it easy enough. Uncheck, follow instructions..don.
It does not show up on my Win 10 computer using MS Config. That was the 1st thing I tried.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure where the problem is. After reading this I ran my Malwarebytes-FREE (first time in quite a while). It checked for updates and said I was out of date. I downloaded and installed the updates, clicked SCAN, and it ran the multiple step scan, and found 4 possible unwanted files. I quarantined those and all is good. Ran just as it always has. No mention of any upgrade.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
I used CCleaner and have for years. Nice program, Have it on my Android phone too...and it's freeware.

Be sure that you are aware of this Security Notification

Thank you! Good info there. Everyone should be sure they are using the latest version of CCleaner. Note that the issue described affected only 32 bit Windows systems. Users with 64 bit Windows were unaffected.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I used CCleaner and have for years. Nice program, Have it on my Android phone too...and it's freeware.

Be sure that you are aware of this Security Notification

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Super Anti Spyware Free
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
sherlock62 wrote:
All this is not necessary! All you have to do is right mouse click on the Malwarebyte's icon in the task bar and then remove the check mark where it says Open when Windows starts.

This is the answer. I would not uninstall as MB is very good.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
cCleaner is excellent but has a completely different function than Malwarebytes.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro