cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

looking for airbags recommondations

hitchikerman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 GMC Duramax and in need of airbags for my truck. I talked with SDtrucksprings and I told them I really don't need the compressor attachachment with it. They said that they strongly suggest that I need it for the truck. Your thoughts would help alot and I believe there trying to make $$$
42 REPLIES 42

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
barko1 wrote:
I'm deciding whether I want to install airbags on my 17 F250 6.7 LB CC 4x4. I just recently got the truck and haven't towed my 6500# TT yet, maybe in a few weeks. I had firestones on my old F150 and on my 99 7.3 F250 and it was nice to be able to level the truck when I had a truck camper on it or towing. I'll hook the TT to the truck tomorrow to see how much sag there will be, I don't anticipate a lot, I have Blue Ox WD hitch and my old F250 with air bags was good.

I don't want issues with headlights aiming high and want to maintain the best handling that I can. Figure the bags with 15# might smooth the empty ride but frankly I don't have many complaints about the current ride. Any thoughts?

There was a number of model years that the F250 had soft rear springs that allowed considerable sag till the overload spring leaves were engaged. Those years were between your old truck and your current truck. I think that you will be OK without air bags. Do not expect bags to provide a better ride, an airbag will be just an additional spring stiffening the rear suspension. The one exception is where a truck sags to a point that the overload leaf is repeatedly engaged during normal driving.

I have air bags on an F250 made during the sagging years. I run the minimum allowed 5 PSI empty and 23 PSI with the travel trailer.

barko1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm deciding whether I want to install airbags on my 17 F250 6.7 LB CC 4x4. I just recently got the truck and haven't towed my 6500# TT yet, maybe in a few weeks. I had firestones on my old F150 and on my 99 7.3 F250 and it was nice to be able to level the truck when I had a truck camper on it or towing. I'll hook the TT to the truck tomorrow to see how much sag there will be, I don't anticipate a lot, I have Blue Ox WD hitch and my old F250 with air bags was good.

I don't want issues with headlights aiming high and want to maintain the best handling that I can. Figure the bags with 15# might smooth the empty ride but frankly I don't have many complaints about the current ride. Any thoughts?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
If you need air bags, or any supplimental suspension aids, then you really need more truck. Truck suspensions are designed to safely handle a specified load. Going beyond that and adding band aids is penny wise and pound foolish.

I have been told many times on forums that our 2001 Ram 2500 isnโ€™t enough TV to carry pull our 2005 32โ€™ Copper Canyon at a GVWR of 12,360#. Then Donn states that we are fine as with the Camper & Tow packages, while over the TV GVWR of 8,800#, we tow level without any suspension enhancements other that a full set of Bilsteins. I don't even sit on the upper over loads.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
gitane59 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
If you need air bags, or any supplemental suspension aids, then you really need more truck. Truck suspensions are designed to safely handle a specified load. Going beyond that and adding band aids is penny wise and pound foolish.

I will give you a perfectly good reason to use a supplemental suspension aid (for me Firestone airbags) that's got nothing to do with needing more truck.
You will see in my signature I have a F350 Dually pulling a 40ft fiver with depending on how I load it a pin weight of 3K lbs which is well within the capacities of the truck I think you will agree.
In fact with my trailer on the back before I installed airbags the rear suspension was not compressed by the trailer to where the factory overload perches engaged the secondary heavy duty spring.
Now this caused a very uncomfortable ride when traversing any significant bump or divot in the road when the suspension would compress a little further and the secondary heavy duty spring leaf would contact the spring perch with a "BANG" making for a very unpleasant towing experience. Installing the bag and inflating them to 40 PSI lift the back end of the truck back to the original ride height and the ride smoothed ride out by getting the extra sprint a couple inches away from it's perch.
BTW I ran separate air lines from my bags to valves on each side of my license plate making it very simply to add or remove air

It's ok. donno is a charter member of the Weight Cops and a platinum level advocate of the Dooleys for Pop ups club!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
If you need air bags, or any supplemental suspension aids, then you really need more truck. Truck suspensions are designed to safely handle a specified load. Going beyond that and adding band aids is penny wise and pound foolish.

I will give you a perfectly good reason to use a supplemental suspension aid (for me Firestone airbags) that's got nothing to do with needing more truck.
You will see in my signature I have a F350 Dually pulling a 40ft fiver with depending on how I load it a pin weight of 3K lbs which is well within the capacities of the truck I think you will agree.
In fact with my trailer on the back before I installed airbags the rear suspension was not compressed by the trailer to where the factory overload perches engaged the secondary heavy duty spring.
Now this caused a very uncomfortable ride when traversing any significant bump or divot in the road when the suspension would compress a little further and the secondary heavy duty spring leaf would contact the spring perch with a "BANG" making for a very unpleasant towing experience. Installing the bag and inflating them to 40 PSI lift the back end of the truck back to the original ride height and the ride smoothed ride out by getting the extra sprint a couple inches away from it's perch.
BTW I ran separate air lines from my bags to valves on each side of my license plate making it very simply to add or remove air
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

armond05
Explorer
Explorer
Firestone gets my vote. They make some good ones.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used the Firestone air bags for about 10 years and they work very well. I use an aluminum air bubble for adding pressure. Works a treat. I considered the onboard air compressor as one more thing to wear out, or quit working just when you need it most. KISS. Well, that and I'm cheap. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Firestone bags here. I carry a bicycle pump in my canopy at the rear ledge so its easy to get. the pump is only about 12" long and takes 13 pumps to get to 23# It don't get much easier than that. I didn't want an on board system, very expensive and I have no were to put gauges and switches. and would rather spend the money for something a little more useful and enjoyable.
Jay D.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Airlift-do it yourself. Firestone air shocks for the front. No worries.
donn0128, you don't need them, don't buy them. They give you a softer ride both loaded and ety. I say use them. 3/4 T Ford pickups ride like they don't have springs

donnie144
Explorer
Explorer
Not airbags but I've become a big fan of the torlift stable loads. Used them on my 2013 f350 SRW. I was shopping airbags and built in compressor when torklift told me they would give me all of my money back including install if I didn't like them. I only needed the unders and truck was level again with just over 7k on rear axel. You can disengage the stable load with a 1/2 ratchet and gain your factory suspension back.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Firestone bags, no compressor, 7 years no problem.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
CarnationSailor wrote:
I am happy with the Airlift Load Lifter 5000 airbags on my 2015 Silverado 2500. You absolutely do NOT need the built-in air compressor. I use a portable mini air compressor that does just fine.

Same ones I have also, x2 on the onboard comp, not needed in my opinion either.

I agree, not needed, but having done the portable route, and towing from place to place unhooking airing down, hooking up airing up, got pretty old pretty fast.

Yes putting in 5-10 psi , and going weeks or months without needing the airbags, makes sense. Messing with bicycle pumps or portable air with frequent use is not my way to go. To each his own.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
I am happy with the Airlift Load Lifter 5000 airbags on my 2015 Silverado 2500. You absolutely do NOT need the built-in air compressor. I use a portable mini air compressor that does just fine.

Same ones I have also, x2 on the onboard comp, not needed in my opinion either.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TurnThePage wrote:
LAJMINNIEPLUS wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I like Timbrens better than airbags.

I put a set of Timbrens on my Sierra 1500 and it rode like a rock with the trailer attached. I immediately took them off and returned them and traded up for a 2500HD.
That was exactly my experience with Timbrens on my 1500. Took those puppies off in a hurry.

That they do. But they are a good semi flexible option to solid block the rear axle, hahaha.

Iโ€™ve used them on a couple half ton work trucks when I didnโ€™t get a bigger truck! You can drop the tongue of a 16k flatbed loaded on it and they work great!
Iโ€™d only use them under a full time truck camper or similar and only if I didnโ€™t have a better option
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold