cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

coachmen freedom express 192rbs

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have one? What do you like and dislike? Would you buy it again? How do you use it and what do you tow it with?

I think we've narrowed it down to this unit...it's big enough for the 2 of us and has a good CCC, 2 axles so it should tow well, the layout and floorplan is pretty smartly done, you can use it with the slide in. It seems to be checking all the boxes as far as we can see.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP
102 REPLIES 102

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
FINALLY got to see one in the flesh and I think we've decided to pass on a TT for now. We just don't think it's big enough for us to fulltime in. Guess we'll go back to a MoHo.

11 pages of discussion, much of it being negative reaction from you to posts from those of us only trying to help, and now no more response to this last post of yours ought to tell you no one now cares. No wonder. :R

you sure are a snarky one aren't you, if someone doesn't bow to your ideas you just have to attack. Your idea of help is to denigrate anyone who doesn't agree with your fear of towing near a vehicles abilities, plain and simple.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
FINALLY got to see one in the flesh and I think we've decided to pass on a TT for now. We just don't think it's big enough for us to fulltime in. Guess we'll go back to a MoHo.

11 pages of discussion, much of it being negative reaction from you to posts from those of us only trying to help, and now no more response to this last post of yours ought to tell you no one now cares. No wonder. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
drsteve wrote:
FWIW, my experience is that a TT pulls better when slightly nose down.

Key words being "slightly nose down" ... an inch is OK but 4" to 5" would be way too much. :E

It's also different depending on the distance between the axles and the ball coupler. An inch on a 19' TT is further from level than an inch on a 30+ footer. My current TT is an inch or two down in front. I've never measured it, that's where it ended up after hitch setup, and it pulls great, so I'm not concerned. My experience is down a bit is better than nose high.

Five inches low on any of 'em would be way too much for me...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

Key words being "slightly nose down" ... an inch is OK but 4" to 5" would be way too much. :E

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer

I don't care for an elevated slide floor, or for a front window, either. The front window is a leak waiting to happen, and the elevated floor is simply annoying. Current interior decors are mostly too dark for my taste.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
We looked at the 192 and Lance 1995, and went with the Lance:
Bigger Fresh tank (we boondock)
True 4-season package
Deeper slide, so we can get more at the table (guests)
Front window, and windows on side of slide, for more visibility (can't be outside in all weather)
DW preferred the aesthetics

For us, the $10k difference was worth it, for our use.

For sure, we're all different. 🙂 In our case we specifically did not want a dinette and even more so any slide with an elevated platform as is the case with the Lance - makes us feel like mannequins on display when seated in that slide. 🙂 Personally I don't care for the interior decor in the current Freedom Express and much prefer our 2014's, and the current Lance as well. Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder though. 😉 Two biggest drawbacks to Lance here in Ontario is their significantly higher price and very few dealers. 😞

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
"Ha , those are our 2 finalists too although if I go with Lance i'll be buying a gently used one

You and me both, there pretty proud of them, and I didn't see 20K worth of difference.

It's what you CAN'T see that makes Lance better! "
---------------------------------------------------------
We looked at the 192 and Lance 1995, and went with the Lance:
Bigger Fresh tank (we boondock)
True 4-season package
Deeper slide, so we can get more at the table (guests)
Front window, and windows on side of slide, for more visibility (can't be outside in all weather)
DW preferred the aesthetics

For us, the $10k difference was worth it, for our use.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Last Train wrote:
Nice looking rig, SoundGuy . . . and looks to be dead level, indeed. So to what end?

SoundGuy wrote:
Hmmmm, well since the object with any towing combination is to run the trailer as close to level as reasonably possible whether using weight distribution or not, the question being posed by Ralph, myself, and others is - does yours? We ask because it would appear in that earlier pic you posted, one you've posted many times before, that your trailer is in fact running noticeably nose down, which in turn would raise the question as to whether you wouldn't be better off using weight distribution, regardless of Honda's position on the subject.

Well I guess from the deafening silence we'll never know the answer to this. :W

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Last Train wrote:
Nice looking rig, SoundGuy . . . and looks to be dead level, indeed. So to what end?

Hmmmm, well since the object with any towing combination is to run the trailer as close to level as reasonably possible whether using weight distribution or not, the question being posed by Ralph, myself, and others is - does yours? We ask because it would appear in that earlier pic you posted, one you've posted many times before, that your trailer is in fact running noticeably nose down, which in turn would raise the question as to whether you wouldn't be better off using weight distribution, regardless of Honda's position on the subject.

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
I think what Ralph and others are asking though is whether when hitched up and ready to go camping your trailer is sitting level front to back. If so, the trailer frame should be at the same distance off the ground at the rear as it is at the front ... not the A frame, but the frame near the front of the box. I agree, in your pics your combination sure doesn't look level but of course pics can distort so it's hard to tell without an actual measurement. As an example, my own truck & trailer runs dead level, and measurements confirm it. :B

This is only possible, even with my 1/2 ton Silverado as a tow vehicle, because I use a properly sized & adjusted weight distribution system. Have to admit, I've always wondered how this is possible with a Ridgeline towing a 192RBS without also using weight distribution. :h

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
You are using an equilizing hitch right?

Ralph Cramden wrote:
Last Train? Trailer sure looks nose down 4 or 5 inches and Ridgeline squatting at least the same.......may be the picture angle. Trailer nose down is usually better than nose high.

Last Train wrote:
So re your squatting observations. I have regularly measured the drop of our Ridgeline at the rear bumper, and it has never exceeded two inches - and I measure that once we are fully loaded the night before we depart for a trip early the next morning. I also measure our tongue weight with a Sherline scale, as well.

I think what Ralph and others are asking though is whether when hitched up and ready to go camping your trailer is sitting level front to back. If so, the trailer frame should be at the same distance off the ground at the rear as it is at the front ... not the A frame, but the frame near the front of the box. I agree, in your pics your combination sure doesn't look level but of course pics can distort so it's hard to tell without an actual measurement. As an example, my own truck & trailer runs dead level, and measurements confirm it. :B

This is only possible, even with my 1/2 ton Silverado as a tow vehicle, because I use a properly sized & adjusted weight distribution system. Have to admit, I've always wondered how this is possible with a Ridgeline towing a 192RBS without also using weight distribution. :h

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
babock wrote:
You are using an equilizing hitch right?

Last Train? Trailer sure looks nose down 4 or 5 inches and Ridgeline squatting at least the same.......may be the picture angle. Trailer nose down is usually better than nose high.

Ralph, huge apologies for not responding to your post earlier. "Life" just sort of gets in the way of reading/posting on these forums, eh?

So re your squatting observations. I have regularly measured the drop of our Ridgeline at the rear bumper, and it has never exceeded two inches - and I measure that once we are fully loaded the night before we depart for a trip early the next morning. I also measure our tongue weight with a Sherline scale, as well. Maybe the graphics on the 192RBS distort the view a bit in that picture.

A bit of experience from our night-time return from our camping trip in Garner State Park last week . . . I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that we drove/towed home in the rain, but I may not have said that the last hour of the trip was in the dark. So all traffic was running with headlights on - that included us, of course, and I also had our fog lights on as I recall. I mention this because no one - not one vehicle - in oncoming traffic "flashed" us thinking that our high beams were on or that our lights were just in their eyes. This was about a 50 mile segment of our trip and all on two lane, secondary roads.
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
The Coachmen in my sig, purchased in July, has the same issue with the fresh tank. Fill it up and watch the enclosed underbelly sag.

I will address that problem in the spring, when I pull the coroplast to figure out why the floor creaks and cracks and flexes when I walk past the kitchen counter.

Don't know whether this will help but I found with my own 192RBS that it wasn't the floor per se that was creaking but the kitchen galley cabinet that would flex slightly when walking near it, causing a bit of a creak as it rubbed against the floor. My solution was to run a lot more screws through the cabinet and into the floor. FWIW, when walking through a new 192RBS on the dealer lot it did the same thing - creaked a bit near the kitchen galley. Ideally the manufacturer would have used some sort of rubber gasket between the kitchen galley and the floor but screwing it down more tightly seemed to work pretty well for me. 🙂