cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator problem - only one leg

NoSnowInAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Generator problem - I have a surge guard protector. Shore power all is ok. (50 amp)
When disconnected from shore power and crank up genset, (7000 Onan gas) my surge guard is telling me I am only getting one line (leg). No power to coach.
Both circuit breakers on genset are on.
Any thoughts?
As Always..HAPPY MOTORING!

Golden Pup "Molson"
Golden "Summit" - left us wonderful memories 2/11/08
02 Allegro Bay 36
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
FMCA
FULL TIME
Never thought it would happen!
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would have ask for at least a PARTIAL refund from him..

AND Then found a new technician.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NoSnowInAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the tech where I had it serviced, forgot to connect one of the two breakers, thus the one leg failing. He also forgot to reinstall the cleanout plug for the muffler. Had to drive 45 mins each way to get the plug. My consolation? He said he was sorry. Not really, he had my $1,000. So much for trusting them.

Golden Pup "Molson"
02 Allegro Bay 36
FMCA
FULL TIME

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
NoSnowInAZ wrote:
Took the cover off the ATS - all looks good - tightened all lugs, points clean and operating.

So, while the cover was off, what voltages were present, if any, coming from the genset?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
NoSnowInAZ wrote:
Took the cover off the ATS - all looks good - tightened all lugs, points clean and operating.

but did you measure incoming and outgoing voltage to verify if the leg drop is before the ats?

NoSnowInAZ
Explorer
Explorer
The genset has two breakers, 30A each. Yes, I did reset them, twice

Golden Pup "Molson"
02 Allegro Bay 36
FMCA
FULL TIME

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you reset the breakers on the generator? Turn them off and back on. Don't just look to see if they are on.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
NoSnowInAZ wrote:
Generator problem - I have a surge guard protector. Shore power all is ok. (50 amp)
When disconnected from shore power and crank up genset, (7000 Onan gas) my surge guard is telling me I am only getting one line (leg). No power to coach.
Any thoughts?

What do you mean "one leg?". Your 7K Onan gas has one 30 amp service to the transfer switch and one 20 amp service to the second A/C.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

NoSnowInAZ
Explorer
Explorer

Golden Pup "Molson"
02 Allegro Bay 36
FMCA
FULL TIME

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off all power if wacking the ATS doesn't work, even if it does take off the cover to the ATS and tighten all the power lugs, both the two ins and the out. While you have it open fire the gen and check power from the gen side with a meter. Should tell the story of what is going on or not.

LEN

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
NoSnowInAZ wrote:
Any thoughts?

your 50 amp surge guard wont show both legs on 30 amp but getting no power from gen set sound like the ATS is defunct

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
Measure the voltage coming out of the generator. If it is good go to the transfer switch. If it is bad it could be a bad brush on the generator.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
bad transfer switch or it is stuck give it a whack with a rubber malot