cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bc holliday

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
So we decided to stay in BC this summer and just tour around the province as we want to do something different from the normal Island trip or Alberta.

I have a 38 foot 5th so I am looking for ideas that are fairly friendly for bigger units that will eat up about 3 weeks.

thanks
Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
8 REPLIES 8

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Powder pig wrote:
Steve; If you do end up visiting Cranbrook you could stay at the Riverside campground in Kimberley. Lots to see and do in the area including the Mining railway in Kimberley, the Railway museum in Cranbrook and Fort Steele historic site. You also could stay at the RV campground across the highway from Fort Steele.

If you fish there is lots of river-centered fly fishing in the area while you are there. Lots of hiking in the area too if that is your thing and, there are 3 golf courses in Kimberley and another four and one half in the Cranbrook area if you like chasing the little white ball.

if we stop down there we will camp in my buddy's driveway again. that's I only go to cranbrook to see my buddy who I served in the navy with for 20 years, so we try to stop there for a couple nights.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
Steve; If you do end up visiting Cranbrook you could stay at the Riverside campground in Kimberley. Lots to see and do in the area including the Mining railway in Kimberley, the Railway museum in Cranbrook and Fort Steele historic site. You also could stay at the RV campground across the highway from Fort Steele.

If you fish there is lots of river-centered fly fishing in the area while you are there. Lots of hiking in the area too if that is your thing and, there are 3 golf courses in Kimberley and another four and one half in the Cranbrook area if you like chasing the little white ball.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
thanks for the ideas, I am leaning towards the northern route, but maybe a trip down to cranbrook to visit friends also... now just to figure out where I want to camp...

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Great Northern Circle Route
https://www.travel-british-columbia.com/travel-resources/tours-drives/north-bbc/
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a month on Vancouver Island last year - in 2018 we'll be touring the Kootenays for a month. From Kamloops, the Great Northern Circle Route would be great in the 3 weeks you want to spend. I've done it many times in all manner of vehicles including my RV combination (51 feet total), and am leaving to do the circle again tomorrow, in my car, over 10 days.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Before I traded in my 35 ft 5er we pulled it all over the Kootenays as this is where we live. More and more people are starting to find the Kootenays and it is not as much off the beaten path as it used to be.
We live in the west Kootenays and all of us who RV which is us and all our three kids. Families and our friends all make reservations. Long weekends are hugely popular like most other places everywhere. We were seasonal camping for the last few years and just pulled up stakes this year so we can travel.
If you start your trip before July long weekend I would suggest:
Edgewood. It is bear bones camping with outhouse, fresh water, and there are picnic tables. There are only 3 sites that you could fit in and those are up top by the boat launch. Donโ€™t go down the hill into the smaller campground, as you would have a heck of a time turning around. And the sites are to small down there for you anyways. The top three sites are on the edge of Arrow Lakes and great views.

Burton community campground, which is about 1/2 way between the ferry and Nakusp on Hwy 6. They have a beautiful campground again on the shores of Arrow Lakes. They do have power and water to a few sites, no sewer, but they do have a dump station. There washrooms are brand new a couple years back, a buddy of mine built them, they take reservations and I do know the sites with power fill up fast so if you stay here again reservations. The sites on the lake edge โ€œI thinkโ€are dry camping, no hookups.

McDonaldโ€™ Creek provincial is also beautiful it is only 10km south of Nakusp on Hwy 6, need reservations here as it is popular with Albertains and people for the Okanogon.

Three Island Resort is where we used to seasonal camp. On the shores of Summit Lake, great fishing small sandy beach, they have full hookup sites, water power sites, dry sites and tent sites. The campground is old so they do have 30amp service on a few sites, but mostly 15 amp sites. The washrooms are spotless with showers, they also have retail rowboats.

Summit lake provincial campground is just a short distance south of Three Islands resort on Hwy 6 heading towards New Denver. It is a small campground and they do take reservations. If you book this campground try and book sites 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18. Those are the best sites as they on the side of the campground that is protected from the wind that comes down the valley from Nakusp. Itโ€™s not a huge wind, but since you are higher up it is a cool breeze, great for sleeping at night. If you stay here reserve your sites as soon as possible when the reservation open on BC Parks site.

New Denver has a community campground right on the shores of Slocan Lake, no hookups. These sites are tight and close together. Our kids camp here all the time.

Silverton also has a community campground which is also on the shores of Slocan Lake. Also no hookups and small close sites.

Trout Lake which is towards Revelstoke from Nakusp and you hang a right on Hwy 31 just before the Galena Bay / Shelter Bay ferry ( coming from Nakusp, or just after you get off the ferry coming from Revelstoke, at the top of the hill when you get off the ferry. Campground in trout lake is on the lake shore, no sewer, water or power and is $10 a night right on the shores of the lake. It is first come first serve no reservations. There is a store but was closed when we were up there last summer, it was a Sunday, so it may still be open, only closed on Sundays. Your over and hour in any directions for any other store of fuel stop. We always make sure we have enough of everything for a week on board, this would be one of the reasons we do that.

That should give you a head start on your planing.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of our all time favourite trips was through the Kootenays. We started in Vernon and took highway 6 to Nakusp visiting friends and family along the way. You might prefer highways 1 and 23, 6 is not for the faint of heart. South of Nakusp you come to a fork in the road, I love these. South takes you to Slocan, New Denver and Nelson, east goes over the hump to Kaslo, a picturesque little town on the lake. Continue south and more options become available. Have fun with it.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
The Island can eat up 3 weeks without too much effort. Yes, there is the ferry cost but once over there, you aren't going thru a lot of fuel.

You could try and get reservations in 3 different BC campgrounds on the OK lakes.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/