cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Urine Smell From Half Bath Toilet

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
On our new to me 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH, there is an urine smell from the half bath toilet. We washed the toilet, walls and floor with Lysol cleaner. No success. The smell is more pronounced when you pick up the seat cover. Any help to stop the urine smell would be appreciated.
Happy Campers Since 1980 and still kicking.
26 REPLIES 26

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
After contacting Dometic, I was told I have a Thetford Toilet. So I contacted Thetford and waiting for a reply as what to do.

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
Same here. Dometic offered to replace our defective toilet.

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
sehunter wrote:
I don't know if we have the same toilet but my Sealand Dometic (vacuum) toilet did the same as you are saying yours is doing. My first thought was my aim was getting pretty bad or I wasn't as clean as I could be.
I called Dometic and it turned out some of their toilets are defective at a mating surface and there is nothing I could do but replace it. Fortunately it was under warranty. They sent me a new one and I did the work.

The Dometic on my 2014 Georgetown was defective also. They had a bad bad batch made around 2013. I just called them last year after learning this. They asked for the serial # on the toilet and said that it was one of the ones that had an internal leak and sent me a new one at no charge.
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we had that in the house the seal around the base of the toilet was leaking every time the toilet was flushed, but we didn't know it. When we tore it up, the urine was getting into the wood under the flooring and that was what caused the smell. Like you, no matter how much bleach I used to clean you couldn't get rid of it. My guess is that something is leaking when you flush and you have the same type of issue. Much more noticable on warm humid days.

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
We had this problem in our previous RV. It had a Sealand porcelain toilet mounted on a raised carpeted platform. The seals where new & it held water fine. I removed the toilet to re-check and founded lots of barely visible hair line cracks in the porcelain near the bottom of the toilet. I think it was weeping, un-noticed, into the carpet and smelling.
I'm not sure what caused the hair line cracks, maybe 10 years of vibrations in the RV or extreme range in temperatures between winter storage and summer use.
I replaced toilet and upper platform carpet and the problem went away.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
Few thoughts. Make sure the black water tank vent pipe is operating correctly, dump some bleach and soap in the black water tank and drive around/dump, check/replace the air vent under the bathroom sink (many bathroom sinks are plumbed to the black water tank)- they only cost about $10.

those vents under sinks are grey water vents

Depends on the rig. Given the proximity to the toilet some mfg plumb the bathroom sink to the blackwater tank. When I had black water smells in my bathroom area changing the the anti syphon air value under the bathroom sink fixed the problem.
Kevin

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if we have the same toilet but my Sealand Dometic (vacuum) toilet did the same as you are saying yours is doing. My first thought was my aim was getting pretty bad or I wasn't as clean as I could be.
I called Dometic and it turned out some of their toilets are defective at a mating surface and there is nothing I could do but replace it. Fortunately it was under warranty. They sent me a new one and I did the work.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

PursuitInsight
Explorer
Explorer
have you checked that when you flush, the entire bowl gets rinsed. i suggest there is not enough water pressure to rinse the bowl properly. some section is not rinsed and smells

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
Gray water tank can smell real bad. Flush it out, then add Pine-Sol. The powerful scent stuff. If you smell Pine-Sol in the bath, you need to check the vents.

If no change add Pine-Sol to the dumped black tank and smell check.

Dry P trap on the washer can also cause problems.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
"those vents under sinks are grey water vents" Suppose to be but not always true
Dennis Hoppert

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
The only other thing I can suggest is to get a small black light and shine it around. The bad stuff will glow.

2X on the black light ... However, a black light will make a Spic-N-Span washed wall sparkle like stars too.

Did you try using a brush down the neck of the toilet (below the ball valve in the bottom of the toilet)? Stuff hangs in there sometimes.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
Did you wash the inside of the lid where you peed on it.

How does that go.... Be like dad and not like sis, lift the lid before you p..s:B
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
novi2some wrote:
I will try taking the toilet off and clean. It will be a few months before I can do this. This seams the best next steps. Thanks.

"seems" to me the best is replace toilet

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If you do take the toilet off, I would suggest taking off the seat first. I didn't do that this fall, and the plastic attaching the seat was very brittle and broke. Cost almost as much to replace the seat as it did to replace the entire toilet.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010