cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Outlets on generator

Shaft0201
Explorer
Explorer
Great site and have really enjoyed it the last couple weeks since I got my toy hauler. My head hurts from all the knowledge on this site. My problem is..... I have a 2008 megalie extreme TT TH that’s 26’. It has a Onan 4K microquier gen. When I’m plugged into shore power everything works great, when I’m on the generator none of my outlets work because it instantly Trips my GFI by the sink. When I reset it, it instantly trips before I can even remove my finger. I have checked breakers in the trailer and the breaker on the generator and all is good. The plug that my shore power cord plugs into has 120v going to it, so I know the generator is pushing out power. Like I said EVERYTHING works perfect when on shore power. The only thing NOT working is my outlets while on generator power. Generator runs great. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks all, joey
16 REPLIES 16

Y-Guy
Whew! Glad you found it, thanks for reporting back too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Shaft0201
Explorer
Explorer
Well after starting at the generator and checking everything under the sun, it ended up being one of the screws that holds on the outside receptical cover. It rubbed through the wire insulation and was causing a direct short. Big headache ended up being a easy fix and I also replaced all indoor recepticals with shallow residential boxes and standard plugs. All is good now.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:

I'll add that almost RV wiring uses the backstab/jam hole instead of wrapping around the screw. That alone can cause issues. I went through our entire RV and fixed that after I had one GFI acting up, doing that solved the problem.

The back stab type are mobile home and RV approved for use without a box.

Typical residential or commercial receptacles must be in a box for safety and to meet code.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Shaft0201
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
try replacing GFI... as its a chain.... it trips and all is dead...

I'll add that almost RV wiring uses the backstab/jam hole instead of wrapping around the screw. That alone can cause issues. I went through our entire RV and fixed that after I had one GFI acting up, doing that solved the problem.

Yes I’m not a fan of these types of plugs. All the vibrations from the road often cause wires to come loose over time. Unhooked the plug after the GFI last night, fired up the gen and reset the GFI and BAM!!!! GFI worked fine but it did take several tries to reset it. Pulled the next plug spark in the chain and first noticed the power wire was out of its spot. Had to stop there as the generator would have woke the kids up. This whole deal might end up being a plug wire, thing will know more tonight.

In the end I’m glad I pulled apart the Onan and see how everything is connected and where all grounds are. On both my new boats I have bought, I did all the rigging and running of wires myself just so I know it’s done right and I know where every connection is. And just for the record.... I don’t trust the deal one bit. They overcharge, lack knowledge (most) and don’t take pride in there work. My trailer will NEVER go to the shop as long as I own it.

Y-Guy
Chuck_thehammer wrote:

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer

my trailer has 2 GFI.. so when one trips. I loose 1/2 of trailer power.

10 year old GFI were not that good or dependable... my opinion.

check the Grounds..

fuse box ground buss.
trailer Frame ground
generator body ground.
again 10 year old... Rust/salt/oxidation...

I have a 2005 Coachman... frame was made in 2003, body made 2004... SO its "OLD"....

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't think it's the ground on generator I would start by unhooking the first GFI from the rest of the chain, if that works just move down the line. If the GFI trips with everything down the line unhooked I would start with a new GFI. It's just going to be a matter of time until you find the problem. To whoever made the statement in a previous post about getting killed. "Electricity only kills if you have the power on while your working on it"

Shaft0201
Explorer
Explorer
I won’t go to a dealer unless I can’t get it figured out by myself. I can diagnose it and figure out the issue, but it may just take some time. I have 120V leaving the generator, 120 at the plug; 120 at the breaker box. Now I’m starting to think there is a issue possibly down the daisy chain of plugs. I’m smart enough to take it in if need be but just wanted to see if anyone here has had a similar issue. I’ll post back my findings for sure.

dedmiston
Dennis12 wrote:
Forget the dealer unless your loaded with cash. Go to to your Onan dealer which is made buy Cummings.

Onan will only verify that the gen is working. They need someone to help them with the rest of the wiring in their coach.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the dealer unless your loaded with cash. Go to to your Onan dealer which is made buy Cummings.
Dennis Hoppert

Shaft0201
Explorer
Explorer
Shore cord plugs into the generator. Only 1 plug works that on the Ceiling for the TV which is on a separate circuit. All other plugs follow behind the GFI in a daisy chain as they should.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you saying that your entire trailer only has one circuit? If the GFCI protected circuit doesn't work, other circuits should work.

Do you have a transfer switch or do you plug the shore cord into the generator?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Call a Mobile RV Tech. If you take it to a dealer it may sit for weeks or longer until they get around to looking at your TH.
Unless it's covered by a warranty? Then it needs to go to the dealer.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Take it to the dealer.

X2 Water gets you wet...electricity kills you.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB