cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions/Advice for Nova Scotia and PEI

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the planning phase of an 18 day summer trip up the eastern coast of the US into Canada and onto Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. We're pulling our 35 foot travel trailer and traveling with our three boys (ages 8, 4, and 3) and our 10 year old pooch. Our trip begins from southeast Michigan with a quick visit to a friend in NYC. Then we head northeast towards Maine.

Neither the DW or myself have been up into these maritime provinces, nor farther north than Boston. Our plans are to stay in Maine for a couple of nights then head into Canada.

Any significant difference between crossing the border in Calais or Houlton?

I've been scouring the internet for advice on RV ferry travel between the Canadian provinces. Recommendations appreciated as far as best pricing, routes between NS and PEI, and must see attractions along the way.

Some of NS sites we want to visit include:

1. Cape Breton Highlands National Park including the Cabot Trail and Skyline trail
2. Peggy's Cove
3. Halifax
4. The Bay of Fundy
5. Louisbourg Harbor
6. Citadel National Historic Site

Any other "must sees" either in NS or on PEI?

As far as RV parks or campgrounds, I would love to hear suggestions from those who have stayed at some in these provinces.

We'd like to return from the maritime provinces into the US and travel through NH, Vermont and upper NY state for a couple of days. Our final destination would be Niagra Falls before heading back to Michigan. Any suggestions on a route?

Thanks in advance.
32 REPLIES 32

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check this out........

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/bringing-your-pet-to-canada
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

TexRdr
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Little Kopit for info about dog needs and sites to see.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
www.novascotia.com
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Dogs need shots for Lime disease. Yes, it's this far north.

Fortress Louisbourg and Fundy tides should be highest priority.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

TexRdr
Explorer
Explorer
Been reading all the NS info. WOW! Seems like ALOT to see and do. Wife and I and 2-80 # dogs, (am aware of rabies certificate requirement) planning August trip from TX to NS. Planning to enter Canada at Niagara Falls, thru Toronto, Montreal, Quebec to New Brunswick into Nova Scotia. Thinking of no more than 250 mi/day and see sites along the way. minimal of 1 week in NS. Currently on list is Bay of Fundy, Kejimkujik N.P. (?) Halifax, Peggys Cove. Recommendations? 1. Make reservations at camps now? 2. Extend trip for Cabot trail? 3. what is weather like in Aug? Advance "Thanks and Happy 2018" to all from Texas. 25' Renegade Villagio Class B

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago we did a 30 day trip through "The Maritimes" and included whale watching out of Brier Island, a highlight of the trip, then took a ferry from Digby to St John NB.
Two observations --- Fuel is so expensive a ferry ride to save driving can make sense and the lobster is really fresh and plentiful.
Have fun!
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:

& before you go read Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. Take all of you to the site re. said book, Green Gables House. I think that might well be a doggie site too.
More, if wanted.

:B

Yet you can do musical, but I still say read the main book first. BTB there are 7 books in the Anne series.

I'm one of those who reads and re-reads every thing L.M. Montgomery wrote. Though I'm not as much of afficionado to take courses about her writing.

:B

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
If it will be running in 2018, I would suggest to see the musical play of "Anne of Green Gables". We saw this on our last RV trip to PEI and loved it.

Confederation Centre of the Arts clicky

Janet
Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
My itinerary is coming along but I'm unsure of where to park our 35 travel trailer for 3 days while we explore Cape Breton Island. Anyone have suggestions as we like to keep day trip travel times to 2 hours round trip? Preferably full hookups? Is there a good "central region" to call base camp? Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground is well received from RV'ers so thinking about this... Thanks in advance.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Hopewell rocks..spend a day to see the tides and the kids can run around at low tide...there is a tide chart online...google it.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
With only 18 days I would consider skipping PEI this time. Nova Scotia has so much to see and do and you will save the cost of the bridge/ferry. The Visitor's Center at St. Stephens NB has wonderful information about the various "Trails" to explore. Spend some time reviewing them and design a route that will help you maximize your time.
We like the commercial border crossing in Calais and after stopping in St. Stephens, head up to Fundy NP. Plan a stop at Hopewell Rocks at both high and low tide. Your kids will love walking on the beach among the "hoo-doos" at low tide. If the kids are up for it, take a kayak tour to paddle among them at high tide. (Use some of the $$ you saved from not going to PEI).
After crossing into Nova Scotia you can circumnavigate north to Cape Breton Island. OR,some of the best fossil hunting in the world can be found along the shores of the Bay of Fundy off North Mountain. Peggy's Cove is a tourist favorite but is very worth it. The suggestion to see The Ovens is right on. We camped there and were able to slip over in the early morning to have coffee in a sea cave! You will want to come back, so don't be in a hurry. lizzie

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
busterbrown73 wrote:
Also, is 2 days enough on PEI to see the sights with 3 children? Enough to keep them (and Mom and Dad) entertained? Or should be skip it all together? Trying to put an itinerary together and the routes keep 'back-tracking' on each other when we drive up from Saint Johns.

I thought about ferry service from SJ's to Digby but pricing may keep us on the road. The length of our entire rig is 58 feet. At $7 USD per foot, $413 is hard to swallow.

Disagree, 2 days is barely a tease for PEI.

:C

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to the Nova Scotia provincial website and order their Dreamers guide. It has tons of information to help you choose.

For Halifax, check the Pier for day parking. When I went, I was able to park for $10 a day and take FRED (free rides every day bus) around the downtown area to all the sights. You can hop on and off the bus around the circuit.

I stayed on Brier Island at the inn, but the Digby Neck is wonderful. Be sure to do the Ocean Explorations whale watching. They take you out on a zokiak inflatable and you get a wonderful view of the whales being right at the water. Look at Digby for campgrounds - easy to drive the neck from there.

Go to Truro to see the Tidal Bore. Near there is also the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park - nice little park and you can see the Sable island horses.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
Also, is 2 days enough on PEI to see the sights with 3 children? Enough to keep them (and Mom and Dad) entertained? Or should be skip it all together? Trying to put an itinerary together and the routes keep 'back-tracking' on each other when we drive up from Saint Johns.

I thought about ferry service from SJ's to Digby but pricing may keep us on the road. The length of our entire rig is 58 feet. At $7 USD per foot, $413 is hard to swallow.