cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Video TR: Zion National Park

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
At the beginning of Thanksgiving week we escaped the snow and cold of northern Utah in favor of sunshine and warmer temps in southern Utah to visit Zion National Park, and boondock on BLM land outside of the park entrance in Virgin.

We found stellar camping, explored the area, found other great boondocking sites and had unexpected results within Zion National Park itself. Come along for the ride and share our experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_CeDJtVs0s
Grand Adventure: YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
Cottonwood Heights, UT
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050
2014 Toyota Tacoma SR 5.7L V8
Days camped: 2017 - 66 |2018 - 136
11 REPLIES 11

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
BoonHauler wrote:
...... another home run, thanks!

Thank you!!
Cottonwood Heights, UT

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
(error - please ignore, I can't delete it)
Cottonwood Heights, UT

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
FirstTracks wrote:
I use the DJI Mavic Pro for my drone shots -- It's brainless to fly.

A 30-year-old friend - and meteorologist no less - just proved me wrong.

Like much of the Intermountain West and Pacific Northwest right now, Salt Lake City is mired in horrific temperature inversions thanks to this mega ridge of high pressure. That means until a storm moves in to mix up our air, warmer air aloft and cold valley temperatures are trapping moisture and pollutants along valley floors. When it gets bad like this, the smog becomes a fog so thick that snow actually precipitates out of the fog at times.

"Bill" (name changed to protect the stupid), a new Mavic Pro owner, thought that it might be cool to fly his drone up above the inversion fog to get some footage. That would've been spectacular footage, except that he didn't think about the effect that freezing fog would have on the aerodynamics of his drone's propellers until the $1,000 device did a 350-foot freefall straight out of the sky.

LOL!
Cottonwood Heights, UT

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
...... another home run, thanks!
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:
FirstTracks wrote:
I see you drove the Moki Dugway with your rig. Funny, we did the same in Episode 2. Sporting, eh?

How was it pulling you trailer down it? Would have like to see more of you on the Moki Dugway.

We were kind of in a hurry, trying to find a camp in Valley of the Gods before dark.

We ended up there quite accidentally, following Google Maps without realizing that UT-261 terminated in the Dugway. By the time we realized where we were, it was too far to turn back and go around.

Truly, it wasn't much worse than any other desert pull, thanks to the fact that there was very little traffic once we got there. Had there been a lot of traffic going up it would've been much more of a pain.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
FirstTracks wrote:
I see you drove the Moki Dugway with your rig. Funny, we did the same in Episode 2. Sporting, eh?

How was it pulling you trailer down it? Would have like to see more of you on the Moki Dugway.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
Cottonwood Heights, UT

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
Great to hear, and thanks for the sub! I'll do the same.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Just finished watching your posted video..great job on it. I'll be checking out your other videos since my wife and I like to get to out of the way places and they're so many of them. Check mine...travelingman21000 /youtube
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Great video. Love your videos and "Adventure". Tell us about your drone setup sometime please. Would love to add that to my camera capabilities. Thanks again for taking the time to share.

Thank you, Bob!

I use the DJI Mavic Pro for my drone shots -- there's an Amazon link to that drone in the video description. It shoots in full 4K, and honestly the gimbal stabilization is incredible. I use ND and/or polarizing filters on the drone camera from PolarPro, their Cinema Series. The drone has a flight time of up to 27 minutes in optimal conditions per battery, and an operating range of 4.3 miles. It's brainless to fly.

Also from DJI, I use their gimbal stabilized Osmo+ camera for 4K handheld shots.

Despite its ease to fly, anyone with a drone realizes that it's not "if" you'll crash it, it's "when." For that reason I recommend that drone pilots purchase State Farm's standalone Personal Articles Floater policy that covers up to $5000 of cameras and other equipment, which is an all-risk policy with replacement cost and no deductible, for $60/year. You don't even need to have any other business with State Farm. I have no connection with State Farm (in fact I'm employed by one of their competitors), but that policy is hands down the best drone protection out there.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Great video. Love your videos and "Adventure". Tell us about your drone setup sometime please. Would love to add that to my camera capabilities. Thanks again for taking the time to share.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand